Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000005). click OK to terminate the application.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Kenasam

Kenasam

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 PM

Posted 02 May 2009 - 03:24 PM

I have seen several postings on this topic, but it seems that every one is a little different, so I am posting my dilemma. I am sorry if I'm posting in the wrong place.
As of about 10 days ago, several programs will not open. Instead, I get the error window that states "The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000005). Click OK to terminate the application." As far as I can tell, this error message affects these programs: Ultraplayer, Windows Media Player, Sound Recorder, Logitech Setpoint, Quicktime Player, Real One Message Center, and Total Recorder.

My computer is a desktop, HP Pavilion a1020n. Windows XP Home Ed., SP 3. Windows updates are current. Run Avast antivirus software and usually have Windows Firewall turned on.

Here's what I've tried:
Tried to uninstall and reinstall several programs. Uninstall usually won't happen. Have tried new installs over the old, but it doesn't "take."
10 days ago - went back to a restore point. Did no good.
Have run Lavasoft Ad-Aware and Spybot Search & Destroy several times, including today (May 2). Today Ad-Aware found and removed a few items from the families of Cookies, Win32 Trojan Spy, and Win32 Tr\.\per Delf. Spybot found nothing today.
Have run CCleaner to clean up registry.
Ran Hijack This and saved the log. I can post it if it is needed.

I've considered reformatting the hard drive, but really don't want to resort to that.

I don't know what else to do. This is really frustrating. Any help you can give will be much appreciated.

Edited by Kenasam, 02 May 2009 - 03:26 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 42,916 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 PM

Posted 02 May 2009 - 03:39 PM

Worth a look, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/217134

Seems to be a fairly common and varying problem, http://www.google.com/search?q=the+applica...art=10&sa=N

Louis

#3 Kenasam

Kenasam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2009 - 07:55 PM

Worth a look, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/217134

Seems to be a fairly common and varying problem, http://www.google.com/search?q=the+applica...art=10&sa=N

Louis

Thanks, Louis. The Microsoft article refers to a problem with Soundblaster, which I do not have. And I've Googled until I can't stand it any more. Every hit I click on does not duplicate my dilemma.

Since it appears that no one here can help, I suppose I'll have to take my computer to the local repair shop. Hope they know what to do...

-Nancy

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 27,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 PM

Posted 04 May 2009 - 09:15 PM

More information to possibly help, Finding a Solution for the 0xC0000005 Error.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown

Posted Image

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 Pdur

Pdur

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2009 - 02:40 AM

I Know this is old you probably already figured out the problem but just want to know what it ended up being cause i had a similar problem a while back it ended up getting so bad that my files startted disapearing and the blue screen of death was a regular occurence i ended up finding out that one of my memory sticks was bad and i had to replace it fixed it right up

#6 Kenasam

Kenasam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2009 - 11:30 PM

Thanks to everyone for their help and ideas. My computer still has the same problem. I have found a good repair shop near where I live, and am going to resort to taking my computer there. Whatever the issue is, it's beyond my skills to find out.

Again, thanks to those of you who replied. I appreciate it very much.

-Nancy

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 42,916 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2009 - 09:09 AM

Sometimes...that's the best route for a user to take :thumbsup:.

Be sure to ask for details of what the problem is...and what fix they propose...before they actually implement same.

If you could provide feedback on same, it may help others in similar/same situations.

Louis

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users