Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Anti-Virus programs do not update

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 fanatacist

fanatacist

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 AM

Posted 21 April 2009 - 04:05 AM

Hello and thank you for reading my request!

I currently have Spybot S&D, Avira Antivir, Malwarebytes' Anti-Virus and AVG installed on my computer, all of them free versions.

Since I downloaded them, I have not been able to update any of them. I disabled my Firewall to check if it was the source of the problem, but it wasn't.

I am using a monthly wireless ISP, and I am starting to think that that is the reason why I cannot download updates. I may be wrong, however.

What I need to know is how do I make sure that it's not a virus that doesn't show up on these old definitions that is blocking my anti-virus programs, besides using HJT? How can I manually update the definitions for these anti-virus programs? Would uninstalling them and re-downloading them help (assuming newer definitions are bundled with the AV programs)?

Any help is appreciated, thank you!

EDIT: Doh! A simple restart solved my problems somehow. Thank you and sorry! Moderator please close.

Edited by fanatacist, 21 April 2009 - 04:23 AM.

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 scff249

scff249

Indecisive Lurker

• Members
  • 1,319 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2009 - 07:04 AM

:thumbsup: Sometimes that can happen

Glad that your issues have been solved. Unforuntately, I should probably warn you about using multiple Antiviruses at the same time (namely AVG and Avira). Having two antiviruses can cause conflicts with your protection and could actually make things worse for protection.

The basic rule is to have only one Antivirus with realtime protection, one software Firewall running, and only one antispyware/antimalware with realtime running (of course, you can have multiple antispyware/antimalware scanners for on-demand scanning). It'd be best advised to uninstall either AVG or Avira.

If you have questions, go ahead and ask.

"Ototo'i wa usagi o mita no...Kino wa shika...Kyo wa anata." -Kotomi Ichinose (Clannad) [see below for translation]
"Day before yesterday I saw a rabbit, and yesterday a deer, and today, you." -The Dandelion Girl
"You are not alone, and you are not strange. You are you, and everyone has damage. Be the better person." -Katawa Shoujo

#3 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,159 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2009 - 12:46 PM

I am having same problem with Avira. When I update it, it says you are already updated. This is happening for last few days.
I have AVG and Avast on other computers it updates regularly. Using them I scanned this computer (with Avira on) and found no problems.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users