Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PCI-E slot issues on Gateway GT5220

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 pastapal

pastapal

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 PM

Posted 20 April 2009 - 08:37 PM

hey folks hope everything is good for ya'll
for the past month or so ive been having issues with my wife's Gateway gt5220.

the system specs were as such:

gateway GT5220 "media center computer"
AMD athlon x2 3800+ @ 2.0 Ghz
2 Gb of ram (2x 512, 1x 1GB)
realtek on-board sound
450 watt power supply
XFX nvidia 8800GS alpha dog edition video

now on to the issue.
about a month ago, we tried to boot the system, and were graced with a black screen. i later realized that the system was trying to start the XFX card but later bypassed it and booted with the on-board video instead. i checked the bios and the onboard VGA was set to be disabled unless a card is present. just to eliminate any question, i also reformatted the hard drive and re installed windows just have a fresh slate and rule out any operating system glitches. suspecting that the video card had become faulty, i contacted the manufacturer and was instructed to try the card in another computer. i removed the card and placed it in another PC to test it. the card booted immediately. next, i borrowed another video card, which didn't require a powerline directly from the PSU, to test the PCI-E slot. still bypassed.
another forum instructed me to replace the PSU, mentoning that it may have become worn out. so to test this thought i replaced the PSU another PSU with the exact same specifications. after no improvement, i replaced it again with a 600 Watt model only to find that am stuck with the same result :thumbsup:

i really am running out of ideas here as to what try do next. this system was running strong since august '08. anyway folks, does anyone else have any ideas as to what i may be able to check before i have to save my pennies and get a new mobo and possibly processor?

thank you very much for your time:)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 PM

Posted 20 April 2009 - 11:13 PM

Does theonitor have a display if you remove the video card & hook the monitor to the onboard video ?
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#3 pastapal

pastapal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 PM

Posted 21 April 2009 - 11:31 AM

Does theonitor have a display if you remove the video card & hook the monitor to the onboard video ?

yes it does, i booted up windows using just the on board video to check the device manager yesterday. doesn't show the video there. so i tried installing the drivers for the XFX. rebooted. still nothing.

thank you very much for the reply:)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users