Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to download / update ANY antivirus software

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 BlueJoey

BlueJoey

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 PM

Posted 20 April 2009 - 04:25 AM

Hello All,

I am running Windows Vista Home Premium and have had McAfee Security Centre installed for about 6 months now. It has been updating automatically every day (almost) since then until last weekend. Now it won't update / download for reinstall and I cannot download other Antivirus / malware programs either.

Here's the long story:

Last Saturday a little banner popped up telling me that McAfee had been unable to update, maybe corrupt and therefore needed reinstalling. I went onto the McAfee site, logged into my account and attempted to download the most up-to-date version on the site. "Unfortunately the link seems to be broken". So I went hunting for other ways to that file but could find none.

I contacted McAfee tech support by email and the suggested that I may need to remove the old version first using their removal tool (MCPR.exe) which I was also unable to download!

I then contacted McAfee tech support via their real-time internet chat and the person at the other end simply kept telling me to dowload MCPR and try to reinstall. I told her I couldn't but she then said she'd email me full instructions and vanished.

At about this time I noticed that I was being redirected to wrong pages from Google and suspected a virus (rather than a McAfee server error which I had been thinking up til now) so I did an extra in-depth scan of the whole computer and found 2 instances of NTOSKRNL-HOOK Trojan which I managed to eventually clean by running McAfee in Safe Mode. Still no joy with downloading.

I thought that if I could download McAfee "fresh" it might work so I uninstalled it in Safe Mode as I had read that McAfee wouldn't be running in Safe Mode and therefore it should be a complete removal.

Still no joy.

Symantec web-based antivirus and Exterminate (from PCPitstop.com) both failed to initiate. Search & Destroy also failed to install.

I did manage to download a free version of AVG but it will not update it's virus definitions however it did find Virus Win32/Heur and moved it to the "Virus Vault"

That's about where I'm up to. I still cannot update / download any antivirus software. Please help!

P.S. Someone, on the McAfee forum mentioned something about Firewall settings blocking the traffic so I turned it off. Doesn't seem to have helped.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 61,946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 PM

Posted 20 April 2009 - 02:12 PM

Hello let's try this..
Some types of malware will disable MBAM and other security tools. If MBAM will not install, try renaming it.

Before saving any of your security programs, rename them first. For example, before you save Malwarebytes', rename it to something like MBblah.exe and then click on Save and save it to your desktop. Same thing after you install it. Before running it, rename the main executable file first
Right-click on the mbam-setup.exe file and change the .exe extension to .bat, .com, .pif, or .scr and then double-click on it to run.

If after installation, MBAM will not run, open the Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware folder in Program Files, right-click on mbam.exe and change the .exe as noted above. Then double-click on it to run..

Another work around is by not using the mouse to install it, Just use the arrow keys, tab, and enter keys.
Open up command prompt, type in following commands:
XP >> click the Start menu at the lower-left of your computer's desktop and select "Run". Type cmd into the Run box and click "OK".
Vista >> click the Start menu at the lower-left of your computer's desktop and Type cmd in the search box.

regsvr32 mbamext.dll
regsvr32 ssubtmr6.dll
regsvr32 vbalsgrid6.ocx
regsvr32 zlib.dll

If you cannot use the Internet,you will need access to another computer that has a connection.
From there save mbam-setup.exe to a flash,usb,jump drive or CD. Now transfer it to the infected machine, then install and run the program.
If you cannot transfer to or install on the infected machine, try running the setup (installation) file directly from the flash drive or CD by double-clicking on mbam-setup.exe so it will install on the hard drive.

Manually Downloading Updates:
Manually download them from HERE and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install. Alternatively, you can update through MBAM's interface from a clean computer, copy the definitions (rules.ref) located in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from that system to a usb stick or CD and then copy it to the infected machine.

Try this random renamer for MBAM
http://kixhelp.com/wr/files/mb/randmbam.exe
Try using a System Retore Point prior to the date of infection. You may be able to update and run MBam. Note this did not remove the malware.
Windows XP System Restore Guide

Next run MBAM:
Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (v1.36) and save it to your desktop.
alternate download link 1
alternate download link 2
If you have a previous version of MBAM, remove it via Add/Remove Programs and download a fresh copy.
  • Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
  • Double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
  • When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
  • When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Then click Finish.
MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan.
  • If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself.
  • Press the OK button to close that box and continue.
  • If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install. Alternatively, you can update through MBAM's interface from a clean computer, copy the definitions (rules.ref) located in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from that system to a usb stick or CD and then copy it to the infected machine.
On the Scanner tab:
  • Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
  • Then click on the Scan button.
  • If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
  • The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
  • When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
  • Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
Back at the main Scanner screen:
  • Click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply and exit MBAM.
Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you may be asked to reboot your computer so it can proceed with the disinfection process. Regardless if prompted to restart the computer or not, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware. MBAM may "make changes to your registry" as part of its disinfection routine. If using other security programs that detect registry changes (ie Spybot's Teatimer), they may interfere or alert you after scanning with MBAM. Please temporarily disable such programs or permit them to allow the changes.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?
Staying Updated Calendar of Updates.
For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook Have you seen..Select Real Security

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users