Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

reformat my computer?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 dmaruk

dmaruk

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 AM

Posted 16 April 2009 - 11:23 PM

i have no problem at all with "reformatting or reinstalling", if it will get rid of the problem i am all for it! i just need to know for sure if it will eliminate the virus. does this proccess eliminate all viruses 100%? my dell studio 17 laptop has a feature that allows me to "restore the laptop to factory settings" is this what u mean by reformatting? or is this what sam43 meant when he said "system restore"? I honestly could care less if i lose my hard drive data, i dont have much anyway. I just need my computer working again as quick as possible! i would really appreciate some insight on how to reformat my computer, thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 16 April 2009 - 11:26 PM

:flowers:

There is a good walk through for reformat and reinstalling Win XP here, I suggest you read it carefully before you start the process.

http://lifehacker.com/software/windows/gee...atch-157578.php

:thumbsup:

Merged this post and the one above to this topic from the one discussing the infection originally posted in XP. ~ OB

Edited by Orange Blossom, 17 April 2009 - 07:20 PM.
Removed no longer relevant text. ~ OB

#3 dmaruk

dmaruk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2009 - 11:39 PM

hi, i am looking for some advice on "reformatting" my computer.
i have recently been plauged with a virus, and i am sick of wasting time trying to get rid of it.
will reformatting my computer delete all malware, viruses, and spyware? or are there some that can avoid this?
my dell studio 17 laptop has a function that "restores the computer to factory settings", is this reformatting? or do i need to do something else?
i know i will lose my data but i really dont care i just need my computer running right again as soon as possible.

These are my questions:

1. Will "reformatting" my computer guarantee that the virus is eliminated?

2.If so, how to i go about reformatting my computer?

3. also, i have two programs that i have purchased online, and i would like to make sure they dont get deleted, what is the best way of making sure i dont lose these programs?

I dont know much about this process, except that i will lose all my data on my main hard drive, which is a price i am willing to pay if i can get rid of this dam virus!

Any information would be greatly appreciated, thanks!!

#4 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,780 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 AM

Posted 16 April 2009 - 11:47 PM

Do you know how to use the function that will restores the computer to factory settings? If not, let us know as someone could help you with that. Doing that is how you would go about reformatting and it should take care of the viruses but you could also try using the Windows feature of System Restore first. That would take you computer back to a previously saved point on your computer so that you don't lose your programs and such. You can find that at...

Start>Programs>Accessories>System Restore.

Then choose "Restore my computer to an earlier date" select a date before you got the virus, click next and let it restore your computer. The virus could prevent you from doing that though but it is worth a try.

If you do restore the computer back to factory setting, you will need to reinstall those programs so make sure you back up the file you downloaded to install them and have your license keys to them.

If you cannot back up those program install files it is possible that you can redownload them as long you have the product code, or license key, for when you install them, especially if you have your order number from when you purchased them. Most places will let you redownload them with proof of purchase.

Edited by Stang777, 17 April 2009 - 11:32 PM.

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 AM

Posted 17 April 2009 - 01:56 PM

Will "reformatting" my computer guarantee that the virus is eliminated?

More than likely, yes

If so, how to i go about reformatting my computer?

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/glo...lang=en&cs=

also, i have two programs that i have purchased online, and i would like to make sure they dont get deleted, what is the best way of making sure i dont lose these programs?

As long as you still have the programs installation key you can download it again.
It's best to double-check their support site
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users