Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to format USB stick to full capacity

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 DigitalFool

DigitalFool

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 AM

Posted 15 April 2009 - 05:14 PM

I have a 4GB USB Lexar stick that I haven't been able to format to the full capacity. It only shows 2GB when I look at the properties. I've formatted it both as FAT32 and NTFS and nothing has worked. When I do format, the drop down menu only shows 2GB.

However, when I open up disk management, I do see the other 2GB as unallocated space (so I'm not crazy). It won't let me add a new partition or even delete the existing available partition so I can format the entire 4GB as one drive. Lexar has no helpful faq articles nor do they have any utilities. I did find a possible solution of switching the USB drive to 'optimize for performance' in the properties, but no luck there either.

I'm on XP, but have also tried a Vista machine.

Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ankur Singh

Ankur Singh

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 PM

Posted 23 April 2009 - 02:03 AM

your pen drive may be damaged.
check it on another computer and if so replace it[repairs are expensive,if any and are of no use,since pen drives today are very cheap]
you can also return it to the company to do whatever they want if it in warranty

#3 Ankur Singh

Ankur Singh

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 PM

Posted 23 April 2009 - 02:07 AM

you may be fooled too if its a local company or it may have lost its flash capacity
i had a 512 mb mp3 player long back ago[a local one] which changed into 256 one and then to 128mb in a total of 1 week untill it lost all its capacity

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 5,817 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 PM

Posted 23 April 2009 - 08:20 AM

Lexar did release a utility that may be able to help your situation:

http://www.pendriveapps.com/bootit-lexar-u...media-bit-tool/

" BootIt is a tool offered by Lexar that enables a user to format a USB flash drive, set a
volume label, set a (bootable) active partition and most importantly, flip the "Removable
Media Bit" (RMB) on the USB device to allow windows to see the USB device as a fixed disk,
rather than removable media. Flipping the Removable Media Bit on a USB flashdrive will allow
a user to setup, see and use multiple partitions on the USB flashdrive from Windows."

Even though you have no need to make the flash drive bootable, the utility may allow you to manipulate the drive size back to the full capacity, if the capacity reduction has not been caused by a fault in the flash media.
Pleased to have been a Microsoft MVP (Windows Desktop Experience) 2007/8, 2008/9

Great minds like a think.

#5 romrunning

romrunning

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 AM

Posted 04 December 2009 - 04:40 PM

If you can't get the full capacity of your USB drive back with the Lexar tool (I couldn't with a Patriot Memory X-Mini 8GB), you can use DISKPART from Vista/Win7 to do so. Warning: DISKPART is dangerous - do not use if you don't feel comfortable with it! Insert your USB disk, make sure it is recognized by Windows (with the lower capacity), and then do the following:

1) Type "DISKPART" from the Command Prompt (accessible by clicking on Start and then typing "cmd" into the open field); you will then see the following prompt: DISKPART>
2) Type "LIST DISK" to see what number your USB drive is listed as.
3) Type "SELECT DISK 2" (if your USB is disk 2; replace # with your disk #); Diskpart will confirm that "Disk 2 is now the select disk."
4) Type "SELECT PARTITION 1" (this command selects what should be the only partition on your USB drive, the small one that you want to delete to get back the larger, full partition size). Diskpart will confirm with "Partition 1 is now the selected partition."
5) Type "DELETE PARTITION". This will delete the old partition. There are no warning prompts if you have existing data - make sure you have copied everything off before doing this!
6) Type "CREATE PARTITION PRIMARY" to create a new, full-size partition. Diskpart will confirm with message of "Diskpart succeeded in creating the specified partition." You can type in "LIST PARTITION" to confirm the new, full-size.
7) Type "EXIT" to leave Diskpart. You can now format your USB drive by using the standard Windows formatting process.

#6 dr24

dr24

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2010 - 12:41 AM

If you can't get the full capacity of your USB drive back with the Lexar tool (I couldn't with a Patriot Memory X-Mini 8GB), you can use DISKPART from Vista/Win7 to do so. Warning: DISKPART is dangerous - do not use if you don't feel comfortable with it! Insert your USB disk, make sure it is recognized by Windows (with the lower capacity), and then do the following:

1) Type "DISKPART" from the Command Prompt (accessible by clicking on Start and then typing "cmd" into the open field); you will then see the following prompt: DISKPART>
3) Type "SELECT DISK 2" (if your USB is disk 2; replace # with your disk #); Diskpart will confirm that "Disk 2 is now the select disk."
4) Type "SELECT PARTITION 1" (this command selects what should be the only partition on your USB drive, the small one that you want to delete to get back the larger, full partition size). Diskpart will confirm with "Partition 1 is now the selected partition."
5) Type "DELETE PARTITION". This will delete the old partition. There are no warning prompts if you have existing data - make sure you have copied everything off before doing this!
6) Type "CREATE PARTITION PRIMARY" to create a new, full-size partition. Diskpart will confirm with message of "Diskpart succeeded in creating the specified partition." You can type in "LIST PARTITION" to confirm the new, full-size.
7) Type "EXIT" to leave Diskpart. You can now format your USB drive by using the standard Windows formatting process.

I'm not sure if this helps anyone...but I was able to follow the instruction until 4 then I received the message, "DISKPART CANNOT DELETE VOLUMES ON REMOVABLE MEDIA".....then I used the command CLEAN instead of whats stated in number 5 above...my USB seems to be back to its 4GB capacity...

#7 mystix

mystix

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 AM

Posted 27 December 2010 - 03:35 PM

Hello!
I just wanted to say thank you for helping to fix my thumbdrive. I follwed the diskpart directions and rescued my drive. I had an HP 4 gig thumbdrive that was only showing 250MB of capactity. Windows partitioning would not erase or do anything with the unallocated space even though it showed as being there. The 250mb partition could not be deleted either. I tried all sorts of tools from various companies including hp but nothing worked. ..most just crashed.

i followed the diskpart directions and got back the full capacity of my drive. ..I signed up just to let others know that this can work.
thanks.

#8 gohaun

gohaun

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 AM

Posted 26 August 2011 - 02:57 AM

Here is what happen to me:

Wouldn't CREATE for me, so i used the CLEAN option, then Retried #6 and it worked like magic.

After exit i just right clicked and did a default format, which means i didn't make any changes to the option, i just hit format.
Got my 4 gigs back
This is my only post, but wanted to make it easier if someone else has the problem.

Edited by gohaun, 26 August 2011 - 02:58 AM.

#9 kerim_hh

kerim_hh

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2011 - 04:32 AM

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

#10 TitaniumL

TitaniumL

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 PM

Posted 20 November 2011 - 02:32 AM

You are awesome Mr.

I only signed up to thank you and totally recommend this. Been looking for a couple hours, and some suggested downloading this and that, but this is the best solution!

#11 saggiori

saggiori

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 PM

Posted 28 July 2012 - 07:01 AM

Hello,

If this helps, I put on the web the MBR for few devices/sizes, here :

http://www.jstic.com/Newsgroup/FakeFlashDiskFix/

I fixed with BootIce.exe a fake 32 Gb Flash Disk that was in fact 8 Gb only, using a 8 Gb MBR bin from another one I had,

This could be a clean way to do it, if it helps,

Jan

#12 scupper

scupper

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2014 - 11:20 PM

Here is what happen to me:

Wouldn't CREATE for me, so i used the CLEAN option, then Retried #6 and it worked like magic.

After exit i just right clicked and did a default format, which means i didn't make any changes to the option, i just hit format.
Got my 4 gigs back
This is my only post, but wanted to make it easier if someone else has the problem.

This worked great (I used Windows 8 and a Sandisk flash drive), thanks a ton to everyone.

Edited by scupper, 30 March 2014 - 11:22 PM.

#13 Yogie1998

Yogie1998

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2014 - 07:36 PM

This worked great. I dd not have to use the CLEAR partitionoption. I had a 16gb USB stick and put it into the Tv or the Dish - don't remember but it wiped it. Then the format command on W7 was only able to select 1gb...Lost it all. With this commands, I gained back 14gb. If folks are not familar with CMD command. then go to Start and type in CMD. Than CD..each time to go back to the top of your C:\ line. This is where you'll have to type in the 1st command. Many thanks. I almost threw my USB stick away. Thanks again...

#14 BadgerEdy

BadgerEdy

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2014 - 10:37 PM

I had the same problem as the OP, a 32GB flashdrive that only showed 500MB of memory. Before this, I didn't even know that partitions existed. After following this thread -- especially Romrunning's post using command prompts -- I know have a fully functional drive. Very grateful!

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users