Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Norton wants me to remove Windows Defender ???

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 KCathbat

KCathbat

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 PM

Posted 13 April 2009 - 04:24 PM

Through e-mail help, Norton has told me to remove Windows Defender from my computer: two antivirus programs conflict with each other and may cause your computer to crash. This doesn't make any sense because my new computer comes with both Windows Defender and a trial version of Norton. If there was a conflict, there also should have been instructions to disable WD when Norton is activated.
I've already been through the firewall conflict, and decided to turn off Defender there.
I didn't know that WD was a virus protection program. Thought Norton was my virus protection.
This all started because HP Advisor told me they can't find any virus protection on my computer. It still does, but my Norton page tells me everything is fine.
Someone e-mailed me a link to the discussion several days ago about 1,2,3 which one is best.
I have read that, but still question if this is good advice: turn off Windows Defender.

Hoping for some help, KCathbat

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 PM

Posted 13 April 2009 - 04:34 PM

Assuming you have Vista it's probably a good idea to disable Defender if you continue to use Norton's, as Defender will conflict sooner or later.

Please see this link for instructions

http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=8279

You could still reenable defender, update and do scans

There are better programs than both of these tho.

Edited by DaChew, 13 April 2009 - 04:35 PM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 burn1337

burn1337

• Banned
  • 311 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 PM

Posted 13 April 2009 - 06:58 PM

Personally, I would suggest using Windows Defender over Norton or any Symantec product, any day... My cousin who is an embedded systems programmer, who does programming for companies such as motorola, he too hates Norton far more then I ever would... Why it we hate norton well it should be obvious to anyone who actually knows something serious about computers... Also I have found more problems with computers that use Norton, then I have with computers that use nothing but Windows Defender... Though I would recommend that you use an Anti-Virus product that will not conflict with Windows Defender.... By the way Norton conflicts because of the xml they use...

#4 scff249

scff249

Indecisive Lurker

• Members
  • 1,319 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 PM

Posted 13 April 2009 - 07:57 PM

...er....I thought Windows Defender was an anti-spyware product or something like that....not anti-virus.

"Ototo'i wa usagi o mita no...Kino wa shika...Kyo wa anata." -Kotomi Ichinose (Clannad) [see below for translation]
"Day before yesterday I saw a rabbit, and yesterday a deer, and today, you." -The Dandelion Girl
"You are not alone, and you are not strange. You are you, and everyone has damage. Be the better person." -Katawa Shoujo

#5 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 PM

Posted 13 April 2009 - 08:04 PM

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r22188410-...indows-Defender

Norton's Internet Security has evidently added features which defender conflicts with
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#6 scff249

scff249

Indecisive Lurker

• Members
  • 1,319 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 PM

Posted 13 April 2009 - 08:21 PM

Ah, okay. Now it makes a bit more sense.

"Ototo'i wa usagi o mita no...Kino wa shika...Kyo wa anata." -Kotomi Ichinose (Clannad) [see below for translation]
"Day before yesterday I saw a rabbit, and yesterday a deer, and today, you." -The Dandelion Girl
"You are not alone, and you are not strange. You are you, and everyone has damage. Be the better person." -Katawa Shoujo

#7 KCathbat

KCathbat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 PM

Posted 15 April 2009 - 12:22 AM

Today, I found that Windows Defender is not an antivirus program. Windows Help and Support topic: Virus and Security. Go to Adware, Spyware, Virus, Security, Hewlett-Packard, HPQ. I typed "Is Windows Defender an antivirus program?" in the search box. The first of the 30 best results for my search states clearly that, "Windows Defender doesn't come with antivirus software."

So, I guess my computer has worked it out. In Windows Update, Security Center, under antivirus, the dropdown arrow shows Norton. So basically, Norton's e-mail advice was off, I assume. There was the firewall conflict, but it's easily resolved by turning one off.

The post/topic title: Everyone says only one, but they have three? (last post 4-9-09) is an excellent discussion and helped me a lot.
Seems like this little tidbit, WD is not antivirus, might be of help to some as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users