Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Why can't I login to my router?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 mo-chan

mo-chan

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 PM

Posted 12 April 2009 - 01:50 AM

ok - it isn't like I haven't done this before - although it's been a little while, I guess...but I have a 2wire 2701HG-B Gateway Modem for my DSL connection to AT&T. And I'm all too familiar with the process of logging into it, as I am a regular user of Azureus, oops, I mean, Vuze. As I remember it, to log into my router, I open up a browser page, and type into the address bar: 192.168.1.254. That USED to take me the username/password screen; now I get a screen that has the AT & T logo up in the corner, but says "Internal Server Error" "An unknown error has occurred. Please click BACK to return to the previous page." AND THAT'S IT. The only other thing I can tell you is that the title bar of the window says 500 Error, but there ain't NOTHING else here.....am I doing something wrong? I also tried navigating to 'gateway.service.net',but that didn't help either. Any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 burn1337

burn1337

• Banned
  • 311 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 PM

Posted 12 April 2009 - 02:03 AM

Well to my understanding, the default ip of a router is, 192.168.1.1... The default ip to a modem is, 192.168.10.1...

#3 danr

danr

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 AM

Posted 12 April 2009 - 10:22 AM

Do you have wireless enabled and unsecured? If sounds like someone may have got into your router changing the default address?

Try http://gateway.2Wire.net., but you may have to reset the router to gain control back.

If you do reset the router the default IP addresses will function again but you will loose all other setting.
You will have to re-enter any and all IPS information if needed to connect again.

You should have that information provided by your ISP ready before doing so.

Router set up instructions, http://www.2wire.com/pages/pdfs/2701_installation_guide.pdf

(If I have the wrong router please let us/me know)

#4 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,165 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 PM

Posted 12 April 2009 - 11:40 AM

Default IP username and password are usually printed somewhere on the router itself. As Burn1337 has said usually it is 192.168.1.1.
Also a simple way to know is call free support of your ISP :thumbsup:

#5 Goetia

Goetia

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 PM

Posted 01 February 2010 - 02:05 PM

The exact same thing happens to me, I'm trying to open some ports but I can't do it on my laptop. The router set up page seems to work just fine on other computers, but not on my laptop. Did you find a way to fix this?

#6 Con10119

Con10119

• Banned Spammer
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 PM

Posted 01 February 2010 - 03:55 PM

go to the command prompt (start and run 'cmd') type in IPCONFIG

if you look on default gateway you will be able to see what the new router config page is incase it has changed, perhaps you may be best resetting the router then if you still cant get on by this method. by putting a pin into the small whole located somewhere on the back or underneath the router.

Moderator Edit

Edited by Pandy, 01 March 2010 - 08:24 PM.

#7 firesignth

firesignth

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 PM

Posted 23 September 2010 - 04:52 PM

I fix this by rebooting the router. This equipment seems to fail regularly for me after about 1 year...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users