Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Connection Error message in Windows Explorer: "Documents and Settings\My Profile"

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Rattfink

Rattfink

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 PM

Posted 12 April 2009 - 01:21 AM

I love this site; you volunteers are most helpful and knowledgeable.

PC: HP
OS: Windows XP Media Center Edition, Version 2002, Service Pack 3

PROBLEM: Whenever I navigate to "C:\Documents and Settings\My Profile" (where "My Profile" is my user folder) in Windows Explorer, I receive the following error message:

Internet Connection Error
Your request cannot be completed because the service could
not be found or did not respond. The service might be
experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust
your network settings.
|Try Again| |Cancel|

note: There is an extra space before the first "service" and I don't recall seeing a similar typo in other Windows error messages.

I must press "Cancel" three times successively, as three identical error messages pop up. This happens every time this folder is navigated to. It does not happen with any of the other profile folders in "Documents and Settings."

This problem cropped up after I ran the disk cleanup tool and uninstalled unwanted programs and windows components. Chief on my list of suspects are the uninstall of "Outlook" and "HP Customer Participation" (I'm not certain of the exact program name, but the description said it was for HP owners to be included in market research and be informed of special offers). I also uninstalled "Windows Live Messenger," "Sonic RecordNow DVD" and there may have been a few others but the only ones I distinctly recall were programs my mom installed and were not vital or used by other programs.

The windows components I removed were "Internet Games" in the "Games" branch of "Accessories and Utilities."; a couple screen savers and "Windows Dancer" and "Windows Party Mode" under the "Windows Digital Media enhancements" branch; "Windows Messenger."

Intriguingly, when I just opened the Windows Components Wizard to see what I had changed, the "Networking Services" box is shaded and I'm almost certain it was not shaded when I used the Wizard earlier, and I did not make any changes to that branch. I also have no idea what was checked before but currently, "Internet Gateway Device Discovery and Control Client" is the only checked box.

After running the disk clean-up, I defragged this drive, and created a system restore point.

I am now thinking it has something to do with the change to "Networking Services." Again, this only happens in my user folder, and only on that screen. If I were to click on "Application Data" nothing would happen, but if I were to navigate backwards to that screen, the error would pop up 3 times in a row again.

Thank you in advance for your assessment.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 42,656 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 AM

Posted 12 April 2009 - 12:17 PM

Hi :thumbsup:.

Have you tried running chkdsk from My Computer/Explorer?

XP Chkdsk, Using the Graphical Version (My Computer) - http://www.updatexp.com/windows-xp-chkdsk.html Scroll down to directions for using the Graphical interface.

You might also take a look at Event Viewer and see if there are any clues, How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

Louis

#3 torque

torque

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 PM

Posted 20 April 2009 - 10:50 PM

Exactly the same thing has been happening to me for about a year. Three pops (I never noticed the extra space until you mentioned it--good eye) every time I navigate to my profile folder.

I cannot find the source of this, but since it's not connecting to anything, I'm not going crazy over the matter. I have old issues with MS and block most of their attempts to access the internet.

Just for comparison: I don't recall ever uninstalling Outlook; I use Dell, not HP; I have uninstalled Windows Live Messenger, but not Sonic Record Now DVD (never installed).

No unusual events in the logs. Access failure is entirely by my design--what I want to know is what is making the access attempts.

I'll be checking back off and on to see if anyone came up with any results on this.

edit - I used the command-line chkdsk. What's the bonus for using the graphical version?

Edited by torque, 20 April 2009 - 10:51 PM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 42,656 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2009 - 01:25 PM

FWIW: Any version of chkdsk will work, as long as the user is comfortable with that technique.

The Graphical Version is only available to users who can boot into a working XP, ditto for the command-prompt-screen version.

Running it from the Recovery Console is a lifesaver for users with booting problems.

To OP: I don't envision any real connection between a network connection and accessing any Docs & Settings folder, since no Internet access is required or invoked when doing such.

I'd take a look at the system files being messed up and do a repair install of XP. Less drastic approach would involve running chkdsk /r, then defragging the system partition.

Louis

#5 Link83

Link83

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 AM

Posted 29 April 2009 - 06:32 PM

Hi, i'm new here so hello everyone :thumbsup:

I registered as im having the exact same problem as the OP and have followed all the suggestions including 'check disk' and 'system restore' all to no avail. I have also run a virus scan and an ad-aware scan with nothing of note found, yet I still get this error when I access the "C:\Documents and Settings\myname" folder, it also happenswhen I access other user folders aswell. Heres a pic:-
Posted Image

Any advice on how to fix this would be much appreciated, I did quite a few google searches with no luck - in fact this was the only thread I could find where the same problem was noted.

Its worth mentioning that just like the OP I had just used the disk cleanup utility to remove unwanted files - I have a feeling this must be related somehow (Yet there is no option to undo the disk cleanup deletion?) and the system restore I tried to a few days prior had no effect, so I undid it. As with the OP I also get the box appearing three times, clicking 'try again' will go on continiously, and the only choice is to click 'cancel' three times.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me :flowers:

<EDIT> Meant to add, im using a Shuttle SK41G PC with Windows XP SP2

Edited by Link83, 30 April 2009 - 04:29 AM.

#6 hankfinn

hankfinn

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2009 - 10:13 AM

Wow, cool forum / uncool prob.

Unfortunately I do not have the solution!

I am having the same exact problem. The error only happens when ATACHING A FILE TO AN E-MAIL.

Doesn't make any sense to me. PLEASE HELP COMPUTER GODS!

Hank

#7 namesake

namesake

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 PM

Posted 08 September 2009 - 12:51 AM

hii people.

Has any one got the solution this problem till now. even i am facing the very saame problem, its weird.
nm using HP laptop with windows XP proffesional.

Have run check disc bt no improvement

#8 rmazur44

rmazur44

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2009 - 03:29 PM

I had the same problem. I finally went to document and settings, my name, local then to the folder called nethood. I opened the folder and saw a butterfly symbol and something about msn connection. I deleted that and no more error problem. The problem lies in the nethood folder. Ron

#9 chazuzi

chazuzi

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2010 - 11:11 AM

I am having the same error occur when I open a mapped drive. Of the 4 drives I have mapped, it only occurs for one of them. If I remap the drive and assign it a new letter, it does not occur for the new drive letter.

I did find the mapped drive it in the NetHood folder and removed it, but the problem persisted.

I am hoping someone has found a solution.

#10 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 AM

Posted 19 March 2010 - 03:38 PM

This could be malware related to prevent finding the files and manually removing them.

#11 don diego garcia

don diego garcia

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 PM

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:51 PM

FOUND A FIX TODAY (for my case anyway) !!!!!!!!!!!! Today's date is 2/8/2013..

The above noted message occurred every time I opened the OWNER folder under C:\DOCUMENTS and SETTINGS, using my Windows XP Home SP3 IE8 syatem.

Noting that lots of internet activity (modem lights blinking like mad) happened right after the OWNER open, I figured that some heavy internet connection checking was going on and so waiting for the error msg to occur, then I eventually homed in on the folder named NETHOOD within which I found that the MSN (butterfly) linkage (My Websites on MSN) was causing the problem..

A network-related failure occured because the MSN shortcut pointer (within the MSN butterfly fink rat item) was aimed at WWW.MSNUSERS.COM while the correct address is WWW.MSNUSER.COM, (leaving out the plural = the final S.)

Since I don't ever use MSN, I simply deleted the MSN folder altogether from the NETHOOD folder. I intend to delete all MSN stuff soon but it is complicated to do so.: see {Removing MSN Messenger from Windows XP (Updated) (Windows XP) - TACKtech Corp} .http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=288

I noticed a folder in OWNER near to NETHOOD named PRINTHOOD, but i am done messing around here since the error message no longer occurs for me.

TY, Yours truly, (AKA) Don Diego Garcia

Thank you, Hey, twern't nuthin, and surely my pleasure too !!!!!!!!!! Since I see the last post before mine was like 2009, (it is now 2013 ) somebody else must have solved this problem by now but you just haven't heard about it in this particular forum ...

PS: A Personal note follows, feel free to ignore it ...

I was a pro computer programmer back in the Silicon Valley assembly language days, so I know my way around the debugging dircle. I helped develop THE very first ICE (In Circuit Emulation) debugging machine and operating system software that drove that super invaluable system at the time for the sooo many uprocessors coming out then all of which we supported, a system which used an umbilical chord to plug into the circuit board where your uprocessor would usually reside in your system that you are debugging, thus being able to control all signals and executions from the outside looking in, using breakoints and CPU execution tracing, downloading your data to your device;'s ram, all that jazz, what a blast that was, the machine put out by Millennium Inc possibly with a Tektronix label .... Yes, I am old and retired, blah blah,blah, hey but I'll shut up now, but yall have a good one ... hope you heard this fix from me first !!

#12 gwallgof

gwallgof

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2013 - 12:10 AM

FOUND A FIX TODAY (for my case anyway) !!!!!!!!!!!! Today's date is 2/8/2013..

the MSN (butterfly) linkage (My Websites on MSN) was causing the problem.

Mariposa! This works. Thanks, don diego.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users