Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Adobe Flash Player

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 zuko

zuko

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 AM

Posted 06 April 2009 - 10:28 PM

I keep getting this Adobe Flash Player pop up and I thought I could get rid of it by selecting not to download it but it kept coming back, so I decided to download it and it won't because I get a message that my system won't support it. So I have this visious cycle that it keeps popping up and I keep saying no to download and it keeps coming back. How can I get rid of it.?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Smithsam

Smithsam

• Banned
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 AM

Posted 07 April 2009 - 04:21 AM

you can download and install adobe flash player from adobe website . it automatically gone.
http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

#3 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 935 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 AM

Posted 07 April 2009 - 06:31 AM

I keep getting this Adobe Flash Player pop up and I thought I could get rid of it by selecting not to download it but it kept coming back, so I decided to download it and it won't because I get a message that my system won't support it.

You haven't said with operating system or which web browser you using but the last version of Adobe Flash Player that runs on a Win9x/ME system is Flash Player 9.0.124.0 (IE) or Flash Player 10.0.22.87 (Non-IE). I know v10.0 says Windows (All Versions) but it doesn't.

Adobe only advertise v10.0 now.

I can't use YouTube because my Flash Player 9.0 isn't compatable. Thats something us older OS have to put up with. :thumbsup:

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

#4 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,165 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 AM

Posted 07 April 2009 - 09:46 AM

Install Flash 9.0 as Keithuk has said.

Also one workaround is to disable flash : http://johnhaller.com/jh/useful_stuff/disable_flash.asp

#5 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 935 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2009 - 06:40 AM

You haven't said with operating system or which web browser you using but the last version of Adobe Flash Player that runs on a Win9x/ME system is Flash Player 9.0.124.0 (IE) or Flash Player 9.0.124.0 (Non-IE). I know v10.0 says Windows (All Versions) but it doesn't. When you try to install it says wrong operating system.

I made a typo in the second link. :thumbsup:

Keith

#6 Egad Elaine

Egad Elaine

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 AM

Posted 28 April 2009 - 05:20 PM

I am having a similar problem with Adobe Flash Player. I keep getting a box that says

"You are trying to install Adobe Flash Player Active X on an unsupported operating system.
For Flash Player system requirements, please see (and it gives a URL) "

But the only choice is to close the window. I don't know how to stop "trying to install" this program.
My computer is running Windows 98.

#7 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 935 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2009 - 06:46 AM

I am having a similar problem with Adobe Flash Player. I keep getting a box that says

"You are trying to install Adobe Flash Player Active X on an unsupported operating system.
For Flash Player system requirements, please see (and it gives a URL) "

But the only choice is to close the window. I don't know how to stop "trying to install" this program.
My computer is running Windows 98.

Are you trying to install Adobe Flash Player 9.0 or 10.0? Please read above.

Have a look in Windows\System\Macromed\Flash folder list all the *.ocx files in there and post there names back in here.

Download Adobe Flash Player Uninstaller to remove all versions installed. Then download Flash Player 9.0.124.0 (IE) or Flash Player 9.0.124.0 (Non-IE) from my links above. Or you could look in Control Panel - Add/Remove to see if any Adobe Flash Players are shown and uninstall from there.

Keith

#8 Egad Elaine

Egad Elaine

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2009 - 12:40 AM

Windows\System\Macromed\Flash has 2 *.ocx files:
Flash9F.ocx
swflash.ocx

Other files are:
flashplayer.xpt
uninstall_activeX.exe
FlashUtil9f.exe
NPSWF32.dll
install.log

I don't know if it is trying to load 9 or 10.

Edited by Egad Elaine, 05 May 2009 - 12:43 AM.

#9 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 935 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2009 - 07:39 AM

Windows\System\Macromed\Flash has 2 *.ocx files:
Flash9F.ocx
swflash.ocx

Other files are:
flashplayer.xpt
uninstall_activeX.exe
FlashUtil9f.exe
NPSWF32.dll
install.log

Well those files are from the Flash Player 9.0.124.0 install so they are 9.0 and not 10.0 as 10.0 won't be installed on Win9x/ME. :thumbsup:

Keith

#10 Egad Elaine

Egad Elaine

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2009 - 11:11 AM

Apparently what it is trying to install is somewhere else, and not the already installed 9.0. But I don't know where to look for the one it is trying unsuccessfully to install. I got the same notice again this morning.
Could there be something else that is pretending to be Adobe Flash Player?

Or else it is trying to install 10.0, but can't, but it keeps trying. How to stop it from trying to install what won't install is the question.

Edited by Egad Elaine, 05 May 2009 - 11:14 AM.

#11 Egad Elaine

Egad Elaine

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2009 - 11:21 AM

Someone else has said that it only happens for her when she tries to enter an Auction Bytes Forum. And the two times today that it came up, I was entering an Auction Bytes forum.

#12 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 935 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2009 - 03:39 PM

Someone else has said that it only happens for her when she tries to enter an Auction Bytes Forum.

I have the problem with Adobe Flash Player when I go onto YouTube it wants to download and install v10.0 which is not good so I can't see the Flash Player movies. :thumbsup:

Keith

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users