Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Java 6 won't work with Pogo.com

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 shady pines ma

shady pines ma

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 PM

Posted 02 April 2009 - 06:35 PM

I have Windows XP, Compaq Presario, AMD Sempron processor, and IE7. (Well actually, I'm on Firefox now, but it freezes when a Java applet loads, so my mom uses IE for Java games.) She downloaded Java 6 a few days ago and since then, Pogo.com tells us Java's not found when we try to load a game. It works everywhere else, so why not Pogo.com? It's beginning to really irritate me. I've uninstalled and reinstalled Java about 15 times now. I've uninstalled Norton, which I've been told can cause problems playing Pogo games. (Don't need it anyway, I've got AVG. Much less of a pain.) I've made sure it's enabled for IE. I've done everything and NOTHING works. I've Googled all over the place, and I've yet to find a solution I didn't already try that actually applied to my computer.

My mom's very upset. She's a retired factory worker and games on Pogo are one of the few things she enjoys anymore, and she hasn't been able to play them since Monday. I'm quite annoyed with her lately for getting Java 6 and getting us into this mess in the first place.

Need help please!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,021 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2009 - 09:08 PM

Hi shady pines ma,
Please don't be upset with your mother for getting the latest version of Java--that isn't the problem and in fact it is highly recommended to keep the latest version of Java and get rid of the old ones as hard to remove infections are know to get in thru vulnerablities of old Java versions. As a matter of fact a new version came out a few days ago so you need to get Java up to version 6 update 13.

You didn't mention cleaning out the Java cache--this will often help with Java game applet problems. I keep a copy of ATF Cleaner on my desktop just for this purpose--it clears the cache very quickly, just be sure to have your browser closed beforehand.
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Security/Secu...F-Cleaner.shtml

Pogo will recommend clearing your Java cache and Temporary Internet Files--the others you don't have to clean unless you want to.

If you've been using an older version of Java there are some cache folders that ATF won't clean, so you might need to try the much more powerful CCleaner that will.
http://www.ccleaner.com/

CCleaner will clean more than I think is necessary, so be careful--you can get by with just having it clean browser cache, temp files and Java cache. The only reason I use it is because it will also clean index.dat in IE's cache and the old Java cache.

Is your mother a member of Club Pogo or does she have a free account? If a free account I would suggest she find another place to play her games. I have a free account and was addicted to Dominoes, but I've about given up playing there for two reasons. First is that the Pogo programmers have changed something about how they serve ads. I think they are using Flash where they hadn't before or newer Flash technology that my older computer can't handle. When a game ends the ad that is supposed to appear between games may or may not load--usually not--and then the game table applet will crash and in the first IE window that shows the rooms, there is always the same error message. But not long after this started I got a guest pass to Club Pogo and I had no problems--that is how I knew it was something to do with ads, since play is ad free for Club Pogo members. As soon as the guest pass expired the problems were back again.

I had been using a software that blocked some ads--I disabled it and then uninstalled it--but the problem still exists. So for the most part I can't play a series of games.

The second reason is that they have changed the quality of their ads. It used to be that they used only tasteful ads, but the last time I played they were ads of a deceptive nature--false notices that you had won a contest, etc. and those very irritating flashing ads. Those are the kind that can carry infection, so I've lost trust in Pogo. I'll really miss their domino game as there isn't an alternative I've found that I like as much.

AOL games is a pretty fair alternative:
http://www.games.com/browse-games/all/

I've even constructed an Avatar that almost really looks like me. :flowers:

MSN is also a safe site where you can play against real people:
http://zone.msn.com/en/root/gamebrowser?pl...e=1&genre=0

I don't like it as well because they want too much info just to join up and then they pick your opponents for you. I like being able to pick my own table.

Be careful of other sites as they can easily spread malware or adware.

If your mother is a member of Club Pogo, then have a look around Pogo's support page--and if no satisfaction, email them:
http://eapogo.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/eapogo....?p_sid=hU6DHmuj

Good luck with it--I hope you mother can get back to playing games she can enjoy. Now I'm off to AOL to play some spades. :thumbsup:

P.S. AOL is also Java based. Both Pogo and AOL are a little buggy for me, but if you have the same problem of Java not being found at AOL, then you will know there is a more serious problem. MSN is ActiveX based, so you might have no other choice as an alternative.
And I may be obliged to defend
Every love every ending
Or maybe there's no obligations now,
Maybe I've a reason to believe
We all will be received
In Graceland--Paul Simon

#3 shady pines ma

shady pines ma
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2009 - 12:43 AM

Just now saw this. Thanks so much for all your help! But I ended up downloading the last update of Java 5, installing it, and my mom just spent a few hours playing her favorite Pogo games. :D

And to answer the question about whether she's a Club Pogo member, she used to be, but she recently cancelled her subscription. She wasn't really getting anything out of it she couldn't get for free, besides an ad-free experience. Someday I may try all the stuff you mentioned and a reinstall of Java 6, but for now, she's just so happy to be able to play her games again. :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users