Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DOS Window (command prompt) keeps popping up

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 caseycm2009

caseycm2009

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 AM

Posted 01 April 2009 - 11:06 PM

For a few days, a DOS window pops up briefly, first at windows start up but then throughout the session. I haven't determined any trigger. It looks like it's doing something with a temporary file --creating, deleting?? not sure as it is only up briefly, but I am able to read the changing file names of the naming convention je*.tmp. I have seen je98.tmp and je288.tmp. I have done WE searches and looked in the temp file folder. Probably the names are generated on the fly. I cannot relate it to anything new I have changed or installed. I did install Malwarebytes' Antimalware last week and there was a Mozilla Firefox update earlier in the week, but I think this started days after the first install and not really sure when the Firefox update was. I don't know how to track this down.
Thank you.
Chris

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Smithsam

Smithsam

• Banned
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 AM

Posted 02 April 2009 - 05:01 AM

try to optimize you system, In optimizing your unwanted or junks file deleted and also increase the system performance.

follow these steps

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/moredone/optimize.mspx

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 AM

Posted 02 April 2009 - 01:53 PM

What version of JAVA are you using?

Older versions have vulnerabilities that malicious sites can use to exploit and infect your system. Please follow these steps to remove older version Java components and update:
  • Download the latest version of Java Runtime Environment (JRE) Version 6 and save it to your desktop.
  • Scroll down to where it says "Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 6 Update 11".
  • Click the "Download" button to the right.
  • Select your Platform: "Windows".
  • Select your Language: "Multi-language".
  • Read the License Agreement, and then check the box that says: "Accept License Agreement".
  • Click Continue and the page will refresh.
  • Click on the link to download Windows Offline Installation and save the file to your desktop.
  • Close any programs you may have running - especially your web browser.
  • Go to Start > Settings > Control Panel, double-click on Add/Remove Programs and remove all older versions of Java.
  • Check (highlight) any item with Java Runtime Environment (JRE or J2SE) in the name.
  • Click the Remove or Change/Remove button and follow the onscreen instructions for the Java uninstaller.
  • Repeat as many times as necessary to remove each Java versions.
  • Reboot your computer once all Java components are removed.
  • Then from your desktop double-click on jre-6u11-windows-i586-p.exe to install the newest version.

Edited by garmanma, 02 April 2009 - 01:54 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 43,528 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2009 - 03:21 PM

FWIW: We are up to Version 13 on the updates.

Louis

#5 caseycm2009

caseycm2009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2009 - 08:53 PM

Thank you. I'll optimize when I have days to devote to it. I also bookmarked a very detailed procedure within bleepingcomputer that was very good about cleaning up stuff.

Java: I had jre 6 update 1 and Java ™ 6 update 12 (I think maybe the jre was part of this). Looking at the install/uninstall list, I had several items with different naming -- Java ™ updates 12.3.4.5.7 and items of the convention Java Run Time Environment (not exact) release 5 with several updates and release 6 update 1. OK, I followed your instructions and removed all the old JRE programs, rebooted, then installed JRE 6 update 13. Now, in the program list there is nothing that specifically says Run Time Environment; there is Java ™ 6 Update 13, so I'm assuming that this is run-time environment and other. Right? Also, can I get rid of the old Java ™ 6 update 2, 3, 5, 7 ???

I also noticed in Program Files/Java that there are still folders for jre1.6.0_01, 03, 05, 07. Is this a problem?

OK, now that's done. I still have the DOS window popping up. I tried Internet Explorer to see if it was only related to Firefox, but it's popping up with IE too.

This morning when powered up, I was not connected to the internet. I didn't see the DOS window until later after I connected. Not sure if it was just the connecting that triggered it or bringing up a browser or neither.

Is there any sort of DOS log or trace that can be used to track files that are created, deleted? What I'm afraid of is that something is creating a file, storing info about my system, sending it off (would FTP stuff pop up? or however it's done? ), deleting the file, etc. etc.

Thank you very much.
Chris

Edited by caseycm2009, 02 April 2009 - 08:55 PM.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 43,528 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2009 - 07:56 AM

http://www.java.com/en/download/faq/remove_olderversions.xml

Most questions about Java...can find answers at the www.java.com website.

Louis

#7 caseycm2009

caseycm2009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2009 - 04:19 PM

I was advised to run ComboFix and I think this may have fixed the problem. I had an infected userinit.exe and it has restored it. I'm not seeing the DOS windows pop up, but not 100% sure those two are related, but probably. I realize that this is not the correct forum for discussing security issues, but I hate it when I find a topic and then there is no real answer, solution, ending the topic. I appended in this forum first to see if there was some way to control the DOS windows, stop them, or trace them. Anyway, thank you for the recommendations for cleaning up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users