Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

antivirus turned off

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 fantasy5823

fantasy5823

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 AM

Posted 30 March 2009 - 09:07 AM

Please help me. When I turned on my pc a message appeared telling me that my computer is at risk because my anti virus is turned off. When I opened the icon for windows security center I found out that my anti virus is off. How do I turn on my anti virus? I'm using bit defender but now it is turned off so I have no active anti virus. When I clicked recommendations, it said to turn on my antivirus or find another antivirus. When I clicked ok, nothing happened it just remained turned off. How can I turn this on? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 43,443 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2009 - 10:23 AM

Every AV program that I have seen...has a control console that can be activated by clicking on the program itself from Start/Programs.

Have you tried that?

The Windows Security Center does not control the initialization of the AV program, as I recall (I seldom visit the Security Center for anything). It only reflects the current status of the program.

Louis

#3 Smithsam

Smithsam

• Banned
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2009 - 07:28 AM

Start > Control Panel > Security Center.

Bottom left side. "Change the way Security Center alerts me".

You can unchecked whichever item you do not want to be notified off.

#4 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,165 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2009 - 07:43 AM

You will have to turn on RealTime Protection of Bitdefender Internet Security. To do so, double click on Bitdefender icon on your desktop. Goto SecurityCenter of Bitdefender Internet Security. Goto settings and then Antivirus. Then check the option for RealTime Protection.

You can also consult manual of your Bitdefender product, to know more details.

#5 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,021 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2009 - 09:07 AM

Start > Control Panel > Security Center.

Bottom left side. "Change the way Security Center alerts me".

You can unchecked whichever item you do not want to be notified off.

I recommend against doing this with your antivirus and firewall unless you know why you are getting the notifications. Malware can disable your security products, which is one possibility here, so notifications can let you know about something you might otherwise be unaware of.

fantasy5823, another possibility is that you are running the free version of Bit Defender, which does not include a real time/on access scanner, which is the protection part of an installed antivirus and the main purpose of having an antivirus installed. To get that protection you have to pay for the commercial version of Bit Defender, the free version will just clean up infections that already exist on your computer. To get protection from a free AV, you'll need to install one of the following products:

Avira AntiVir
Avast
AVG

Please let us know if you are using the free version, which would mean you have recently installed it and you've been getting the notifications ever since. If not, then we'll look into if malware is causing the notifications.
And I may be obliged to defend
Every love every ending
Or maybe there's no obligations now,
Maybe I've a reason to believe
We all will be received
In Graceland--Paul Simon

#6 fantasy5823

fantasy5823
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2009 - 03:45 AM

I just changed my Bitdefender antivirus to AVG and this solved the problem. Thank you to those who gave advice and more power to you all.

#7 fantasy5823

fantasy5823
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2009 - 03:48 AM

I just changed my Bitdefender antivirus to AVG and this solved the problem. Thank you to those who gave advice and more power to you all.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 43,443 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2009 - 03:49 PM

Thanks for the feedback...happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users