Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

what is 'Version Manager exe'

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Paulrenno

Paulrenno

• Members
  • 302 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 AM

Posted 27 March 2009 - 05:55 AM

Occasionally when I start up my pc, before it gets to my desktop, I get a small box pop up asking for my permission. The subject is 'Version Manager exe' - I always allow it, but i dont really know what it is.

Does anyone know what its for and why i keep getting it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 AM

Posted 27 March 2009 - 09:48 AM

Version Manager is an applications software measurement system. Answers questions like
> Who are my software users?
> Are they really using my software the way I thought they would use?
> What are the features that are most wanted? Ex. Which menu, button or feature
is used the most of all?
> What are the feature usage patterns?
> Are they still using my software or have they quit?
> What are the preferred operating systems for my product?

It's an application tracking the usage of a freeware or shareware program that you probably have downloaded

Edited by garmanma, 27 March 2009 - 09:48 AM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Paulrenno

Paulrenno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 302 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 AM

Posted 27 March 2009 - 12:07 PM

Thanks for that.

When it asks me for permission, do I allow it, like I have been doing, or do I not allow it?

I have Zone Alarm firewall and Avast Antivirus along with Spywareblaster installed - does it belong to one of these do you think?

#4 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 PM

Posted 27 March 2009 - 02:40 PM

if you want to pass on info to the software maker then select allow if not the select no,,,, i would always go for the latter with things like this as you never know what the twats are looking at or for,,, the 3 apps you listed usually block things like that not use them,,,, its somthing collecting data about your browsing habbits,,, remember when you first saw it and think if you installed somthing,, if so ,,, then look in the settings of that program and see if there is somthing like,,,,"i agree to take part in deee dum,,dee dum" and select NO,,,
good luck.

Edited by figgis41, 27 March 2009 - 02:41 PM.

Figgis,,,, LUFC

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2009 - 04:39 PM

If you want to disable it, I would use Autoruns:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb963902.aspx
The application looks a little daunting but just search through the startup items for it
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#6 SUNLUVERH

SUNLUVERH

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2010 - 01:55 AM

Occasionally when I start up my pc, before it gets to my desktop, I get a small box pop up asking for my permission. The subject is 'Version Manager exe' - I always allow it, but i dont really know what it is.

Does anyone know what its for and why i keep getting it?

#7 SUNLUVERH

SUNLUVERH

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2010 - 02:13 AM

I get this too, the first couple of times I authorized it then I started getting messages that my hard drive was full, seeing that my laptop was under warranty, I took it back to where I bought it a month earlier. they checked it out and didn't know what that program was and figured that was what filled up my hard drive. they had to reformat my drive and reload the operating system. it's been find until this afternoon when it popped up again. but I didn't give it permission to continue this time, I call the computer techs where I bought it and they have no idea where it came from so they said I could keep denieing it permission or I could bring it back again and see if they could figure out where it came from. I asked my cousin tech genius if he heard of this program and of course he did, he said it comes or is related to HP advisor and can be turned off permanently in the wrenches of HP Advisor. haven't tried it yet but I'm sure going to give it a try.

#8 Gritz209

Gritz209

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 AM

Posted 27 August 2013 - 09:49 AM

:bananas:   Hello my name Gritz i am new around here, hi everybody.  Today i fixed my computer and i am here to help ware ever i can. 

VERSIONMANAGER.EXE

This is an extention cousing the problem, down loaded from google Extention. but does not belong to Google.

Go in to your Google Extention and Delete,  Remove or Disable DownLoadLowiaPPp  the icon looks like a piece of a puzzle, Problem Solved

No more Gfxui.exe erorr, No more VersionManager.exe erorr Computer runs faster, enjoy your faster runing Computer

From Desk of Gritz209

Plan ahead or Plan to Fail

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users