Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Edit registry of a slave hard drive

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Delta16

Delta16

• Members
  • 417 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 PM

Posted 20 March 2009 - 02:54 PM

I would like to know how to edit the registry of a hard drive with 64bit windows xp that is connect slave on a 32bit windows xp system.

Any Ideas, please

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 43,443 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 PM

Posted 20 March 2009 - 03:35 PM

You can't edit the registry of an O/S that is not booted into...I think I tried that earlier this year (just to see if it could be done).

The only registry files that will be shown are those of the operating system that is open.

There are others who claim otherwise, but...I'm from the Show-Me State and I believe what I've experienced :thumbsup:.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=e...it+registry+of+ You can believe anything in these links at your own risk.

Louis

#3 Delta16

Delta16
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 417 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 PM

Posted 20 March 2009 - 04:35 PM

When you tried you didn't did your best I think, cause I managed how to edit the registry with the hard drive on slave.

It's good to believe what you have experienced, I do that too, but sometimes you have to take risks!

I'll post sort of guide which I wrote and it worked successfully.

A guide to edit the registry of a slaved Hard Drive on a XP System.

NOTE 1 : to edit the system hive the regedit will ask you for the key name; search it from the
	   following site
	   URL : http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms724877(VS.85).aspx

NOTE 2 : The table that shows the Registry Hive and the supporting Files is described in the
following line.
Registry Hive : The Hive you want to edit
Supporting Files : Is the Key Name that regedit will ask for the hive you wish to edit.

Let's Begin,

Go to 
Start > run > type regedit > click on machine

File > Load Hive
Browse to the slaved Hard Drive; Windows > System 32 > Config > choose the hive you want to edit and 
search the key name from the above site.

You have full control of the registry of the Hard drive that is slaved connected.
DO IT AT YOUR OWN RISKS!
Delta

I like to write how I solved my own and others problems, the above is one of them. :thumbsup:

Edited by Delta16, 20 March 2009 - 04:39 PM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 43,443 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 PM

Posted 20 March 2009 - 05:12 PM

I never try to rescue a damaged or screwed up registry...it's too easy for me to just reinstall (I maintain data backups).

Glad you found a way, thanks for posting it, happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users