Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Swagbucks plug-in for Firefox

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Luvkitty

Luvkitty

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 PM

Posted 20 March 2009 - 01:32 AM

So, I've switched from IE to Firefox, but I have a couple of questions. When I tried to download/install the plug-in for Swagbucks toolbar with Firefox, I get a message saying that there is already something with that name so it can't do it. I had JUST downloaded Firefox so I know that couldn't be true. After several attempts, I tried to do it using IE, and that worked. The problem is that I'm tired of all the issues with IE and want to use Firefox. How can I fix this? When I went to Control Panel programs, I didn't see it listed either.

Another question I have is regarding autofill. I enter a ton of giveaways and have LOVED using the autofill feature available on IE. I don't see this option at the top of the screen when using Firefox like I did with IE. Is it not available, or is it just in a different place?

Finally, I imported my favorites from IE to Firefox's Bookmarks, and that part worked fine. BUT, when I click on Bookmarks in Firefox to save a page, I can't find a way to put it in one of my folders that already exists. How do I do it with Firefox?

Thanks!!!
Michele

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,878 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 PM

Posted 22 March 2009 - 10:40 AM

Hope this helps. Tools, options, the second one down. remember what I entered in forms.

#3 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 PM

Posted 22 March 2009 - 11:37 AM

There's 3 ways, that I know of, to add bookmarks:

1. When you want to bookmark a page, just right-click on the page, and select Bookmark this page....
You'll be presented with the Add Bookmark dialog box.
Next to Name:, type in the name you want to give the bookmark.
Next to Create in:, you'll see 2 dropdown arrows.
The first one, will give you a list of your main folders.
The second one, will give you a list of all of your folders.
The second one will also give you the option, to create a new folder.
Make your selection, and click the OK button.

2. Another way is to click Bookmarks, in the Tool Bar at the top, and select Bookmark This Page...
That will also open the Add Bookmark dialog box.

3. Ctrl+D also opens the Add Bookmark dialog box.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 Luvkitty

Luvkitty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2009 - 06:36 AM

Hello,

I wanted to give an update for the first question I asked on this thread regarding my attempts to install the Swagbucks toolbar using Firefox. Following the advice from another thread regarding an error message I received, I have now uninstalled the Swagbucks toolbar from IE which I was the only browser that I could originally get the install to work, and I also restarted my computer. Now that there is NO Swagbucks toolbar installed anywhere on my computer using any browser, I tried to install it again using Firefox. Below is the link to a pic of what happened. I really, really want to start using Firefox as my primary browser due to all my problems with IE and because everyone here seems to think it's a far superior browser, but I also want to be able to use the Swagbucks toolbar. Can anyone help?

http://i43.tinypic.com/6gkm6d.jpg

This is an update for my second question on this thread regarding my attempt to find an Autofill option on Firefox like I was using on IE. I tried to follow the instructions that Layback Bear provided on this thread, but I get different options than were described. Also, it was suggested I look for an option to "remember what I entered in forms," but is this really the same thing as Autofill? I want to use this feature for all the sweepstakes I enter so I don't have to type everything each time I enter a different sweepstakes, and using Autofill on IE was perfect. That's what I'm looking to be able to do with Firefox. Below is a link to a picture of my screen when I tried to follow Layback Bear's instructions. Not sure what to do next.

http://i42.tinypic.com/scqmw6.jpg

Finally, this is an update for my third question on this thread. I'm still having trouble with bookmarking pages using Firefox. I tried to follow the directions you provided for me, but the problem is that my screen looks different, or I should say that my options look different than what you explained once I hit Bookmark. I took a pic of the screen when trying to bookmark so that I could better explain my problem. Also, because I imported my Favorites from IE to Firefox, I have at least 50 folders, but the only one that shows up, as you'll see, is the new one I somehow created once switching to Firefox. I say "somehow created" because I can't remember what I did there, LOL. Anyway, hopefully my picture will help
to explain better so I can solve my dilema.

http://i43.tinypic.com/kapg77.jpg

Thanks again,
Michele :thumbsup:

Edited by Luvkitty, 23 March 2009 - 07:05 AM.

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 PM

Posted 23 March 2009 - 07:17 AM

RE: Swagbucks: if you click on the downarrow in the seachbox, it will list the available search engines, and swagbucks should be there even though you got the error message.

RE: bookmarks. Try this. Show the bookmark side panel (view/sidebar/bookmarks). Then go to Bookmarks/Organise bookmarks. Click on "Bookmarks Menu" in the left column so that it expands the contents. You can arrange them from that panel.

Hope this helps.
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#6 Luvkitty

Luvkitty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2009 - 07:34 AM

Hi John,

Regarding the advice you gave me for the Swagbucks toolbar question, I'm still stuck.
Also, you suggested that I use the down arrow to find the search engines. I'm not sure which search down arrow you're referring to, but I can see the browser that I want, and it is an available option, but when I click on the install link for the Firefox one, I get the error message in the picture below. I looked at the original picture that I gave the link for earlier, and I saw that it was very unclear, so I did another print screen and cropped this time so you could hopefully see the problem better.

http://i43.tinypic.com/358zxpy.jpg

I'm no understanding why I get this message when trying to install using Firefox and NOT when using IE. I'm also unclear as to what the error message is referring to.

One other question I have is regarding the two IE options they give. In the pic below you can see both options, but what is the diffence? Also, how do I find out what version of IE I have? I want to Control Panel and then Programs, but I didn't even see IE listed...even though that's what I'm using right now to post this message!! LOL I don't get it.

http://i41.tinypic.com/261kuw0.jpg

I also tried to follow the advice about boomarking sites in Firefox. I assume then that the only way to put a bookmarked page into an already existing folder is by going through that entire process you described each time and then moving the pages around into their correct folders? I still don't get why my folders do not show up when I click on Bookmarks and then Choose Folder. Here is a pic of what I mean.

http://i40.tinypic.com/t5ss9e.jpg

http://i39.tinypic.com/6ruknq.jpg

Thanks again, John! Hope you have a great Monday!

Michele

Edited by Luvkitty, 23 March 2009 - 08:37 AM.

#7 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 PM

Posted 23 March 2009 - 09:04 PM

In the toolbar at the top, where you have File, Edit View, History, Bookmarks, Tools, Help, what options do you have when you click Bookmarks?
A screenshot would work.

When you right-click a page, and select Bookmark this page...., what happens?

When you use Ctrl+D, what happens?
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users