Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Norton Worm Protection Pop Up in Task Bar?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Julia M

Julia M

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 PM

Posted 19 March 2009 - 01:45 AM

Hi there,

This evening while surfing, my computer froze a bit when trying to reach a site. I thought it was just slow internet but moments later a yellow pop up appeared in my sys tray .

"Your Computer may be at risk. Norton Internet worm Protection is turned off, click here to fix. "

I didn't click it but opened my AVG to run a virus scan, my computer became crazy busy and then froze...I rebooted, and unplugged it from the internet and ran AVG, it indicated and quarantined 6 infected files, some were a Trojan Horse Agent AXMN, a file podmena.exe, and Win32/Heur.
Then I ran Malware Bytes AntiMalware, connected to the net for a moment just to update it then unplugged again. It indicated several infected files and I had the program remove them.
I rebooted and the lil pop up appeared again.
I rebooted in safe mode and ran Malware Bytes again, then ran Lavasoft Adaware, both were clean. Then I ran Ccleaner.
Restarted in regular mode and the lil window came up again, so I went into my into widows security center (not through the pop up) and manually turned on the firewall which was turned off, the pop up disappeared.

I had Norton when I bought the computer but I have not used it in years and uninstalled it years ago. I use AVG now.

My system is an HP AMD Athlon 64 processor and I am running Windows XP

Not sure what the next step is. I use this computer for a work at home job and need it to be safe since I deal with customers personal info.

Any help or advice is appreciated.

Just to follow up this morning turned it on again, booted fine, no pop up, ran malware byte again, nothing found. Reconnected to the internet and things seem to be working fine but I am still wary of it....should I still be concerned?

Edited by Julia M, 19 March 2009 - 09:31 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 32,776 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 AM

Posted 19 March 2009 - 12:40 PM

I had Norton when I bought the computer but I have not used it in years and uninstalled it

How did you uninstall it? Symantec Products can be difficult to remove completely. Try running the Norton Removal Tool (SymNRT) (uninstalls ALL Norton 2008/2007/2006/2005/2004/2003 products from your computer) to make sure all traces are gone.

Please post the results of your first MBAM scan (with the infected files) for review.

To retrieve the MBAM scan log information, launch MBAB.
  • Click the Logs Tab at the top.
    • The log will be named by the date of scan in the following format:
      mbam-log-2009-01-12(13-35-16).txt <- your dates will be different from this example
      -- If you have previously used MBAM, there may be several logs showing in the list.
  • Click on the log name to highlight it.
  • Go to the bottom and click on Open.
  • The log should automatically open in notepad as a text file.
  • Go to Edit and choose Select all.
  • Go back to Edit and choose Copy or right-click on the highlighted text and choose copy from there.
  • Come back to this thread, click Add Reply, then right-click and choose Paste.
  • Be sure to post the complete log to include the top portion which shows MBAM's database version and your operating system.
  • Exit MBAM when done.

Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security 2007-2014 MVP.gif

Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

#3 Julia M

Julia M
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2009 - 03:39 PM

Thanks for the reply! I know I had problems getting that norton off and used some kind of removal too...I will use the one you recommended as well. Edit to add: Done.

Here is the first Malware log that showed the problems.

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.34
Database version: 1868
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3

3/18/2009 11:37:59 PM
mbam-log-2009-03-18 (23-37-59).txt

Scan type: Quick Scan
Objects scanned: 76217
Time elapsed: 5 minute(s), 2 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 1
Registry Values Infected: 3
Registry Data Items Infected: 4
Folders Infected: 1
Files Infected: 5

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\AvScan (Malware.Trace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Values Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\autochk (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Network\UID (Malware.Trace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\system tool (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Data Items Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Userinit (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Data: c:\windows\system32\sdra64.exe -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Userinit (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Data: system32\sdra64.exe -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Userinit (Hijack.UserInit) -> Bad: (C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe,C:\WINDOWS\system32\sdra64.exe,) Good: (userinit.exe) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\AntiVirusDisableNotify (Disabled.SecurityCenter) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Folders Infected:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lowsec (Spyware.StolenData) -> Delete on reboot.

Files Infected:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lowsec\local.ds (Spyware.StolenData) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lowsec\user.ds (Spyware.StolenData) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lowsec\user.ds.lll (Spyware.StolenData) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Owner\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\ChkDisk.lnk (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\sdra64.exe (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Delete on reboot.

Edited by Julia M, 19 March 2009 - 03:57 PM.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 32,776 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2009 - 05:00 PM

Your MBAM log indicates you are using an outdated database version. Please update it through the program's interface (preferable way) or manually download the definition updates and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install. Then perform a Full Scan in normal mode and check all items found for removal. Don't forgot to reboot afterwards. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware. When done, click the Logs tab and copy/paste the contents of the new report in your next reply.Mbam-rules.exe is not updated daily. Another way to get the most current database definitions is to install MBAM on a clean computer, launch the program, update through MBAM's interface, copy the definitions (rules.ref) to a USB stick or CD and transfer that file to the infected machine. Copy rules.ref to the location indicated for your operating system. If you cannot see the folder, then you may have to Reconfigure Windows to show it.
  • XP: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Vista: C:\Documents and Settings\Users\All Users\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

#5 Julia M

Julia M
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2009 - 07:03 PM

Thank you! Done.

Here is the new log.

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.34
Database version: 1873
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3

3/19/2009 7:00:13 PM
mbam-log-2009-03-19 (19-00-13).txt

Scan type: Full Scan (C:\|D:\|)
Objects scanned: 217340
Time elapsed: 1 hour(s), 41 minute(s), 9 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 32,776 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2009 - 08:48 PM

Looks good.

Lets do another scan to see if we find anything else that MBAM may have missed.

Please download ATF Cleaner by Atribune & save it to your desktop. DO NOT use yet.
alternate download link

Please download and install SUPERAntiSpyware Free
  • Double-click SUPERAntiSypware.exe and use the default settings for installation.
  • An icon will be created on your desktop. Double-click that icon to launch the program.
  • If asked to update the program definitions, click "Yes". If not, update the definitions before scanning by selecting "Check for Updates". (If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here. Double-click on the hyperlink for Download Installer and save SASDEFINITIONS.EXE to your desktop. Then double-click on SASDEFINITIONS.EXE to install the definitions.)
  • In the Main Menu, click the Preferences... button.
  • Click the "General and Startup" tab, and under Start-up Options, make sure "Start SUPERAntiSpyware when Windows starts" box is unchecked.
  • Click the "Scanning Control" tab, and under Scanner Options, make sure the following are checked (leave all others unchecked):
    • Close browsers before scanning.
    • Scan for tracking cookies.
    • Terminate memory threats before quarantining.
  • Click the "Close" button to leave the control center screen and exit the program.
  • Do not run a scan just yet.
Reboot your computer in "Safe Mode" using the F8 method. To do this, restart your computer and after hearing your computer beep once during startup (but before the Windows icon appears) press the F8 key repeatedly. A menu will appear with several options. Use the arrow keys to navigate and select the option to run Windows in "Safe Mode".

Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
  • Under Main "Select Files to Delete" choose: Select All.
  • Click the Empty Selected button.
  • If you use Firefox browser click Firefox at the top and choose: Select All
    If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
  • If you use Opera browser click Opera at the top and choose: Select All
    If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
  • Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.
Note: On Vista, "Windows Temp" is disabled. To empty "Windows Temp" ATF-Cleaner must be "Run as an Administrator".

Scan with SUPERAntiSpyware as follows:
  • Launch the program and back on the main screen, under "Scan for Harmful Software" click Scan your computer.
  • On the left, make sure you check C:\Fixed Drive.
  • On the right, under "Complete Scan", choose Perform Complete Scan and click "Next".
  • After the scan is complete, a Scan Summary box will appear with potentially harmful items that were detected. Click "OK".
  • Make sure everything has a checkmark next to it and click "Next".
  • A notification will appear that "Quarantine and Removal is Complete". Click "OK" and then click the "Finish" button to return to the main menu.
  • If asked if you want to reboot, click "Yes" and reboot normally.
  • To retrieve the removal information after reboot, launch SUPERAntispyware again.
    • Click Preferences, then click the Statistics/Logs tab.
    • Under Scanner Logs, double-click SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log.
    • If there are several logs, click the current dated log and press View log. A text file will open in your default text editor.
    • Please copy and paste the Scan Log results in your next reply.
  • Click Close to exit the program.
If you cannot boot into safe mode, then perform your scans in normal mode.

#7 Julia M

Julia M
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2009 - 07:28 AM

Good morning!

Rebooted in safe and ran the ATF Cleaner and then the SuperAntiSpyware.
Good call because it did find some things. Thank you again for your help.

Log follows.

SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log
http://www.superantispyware.com

Generated 03/20/2009 at 02:24 AM

Application Version : 4.25.1014

Core Rules Database Version : 3806
Trace Rules Database Version: 1761

Scan type : Complete Scan
Total Scan Time : 03:13:22

Memory items scanned : 238
Memory threats detected : 0
Registry items scanned : 7470
Registry threats detected : 5
File items scanned : 114800
File threats detected : 3

Rogue.Component/Trace
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\58BE252C
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\58BE252C#58be252c
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\58BE252C#Version
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\58BE252C#red_srv
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\58BE252C#red_srv_bckp

Trojan.Downloader-Gen/A
C:\PROGRAM FILES\MOZILLA FIREFOX\A.EXE

Trojan.Unknown Origin
C:\WINDOWS\$NTSERVICEPACKUNINSTALL$\CIODM.DLL.000

Trojan.Unclassified
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\MPFSERVICEFAILURECOUNT.TXT

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 32,776 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2009 - 07:36 AM

How is your computer running now? Are there any more reports/signs of infection?

#9 Julia M

Julia M
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2009 - 08:15 AM

Things seem to be running normally today. Does not seem slow. Everything seems to open or boot normally.
Have not gotten any pop ups or virus warnings from AVG since that first night.

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 32,776 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2009 - 08:29 AM

If there are no more problems or signs of infection, you should Create a New Restore Point to prevent possible reinfection from an old one. Some of the malware you picked up could have been saved in System Restore. Since this is a protected directory your tools cannot access to delete these files, they sometimes can reinfect your system if you accidentally use an old restore point. Setting a new restore point AFTER cleaning your system will help prevent this and enable your computer to "roll-back" to a clean working state.

The easiest and safest way to do this is:
  • Go to Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools and click "System Restore".
  • Choose the radio button marked "Create a Restore Point" on the first screen then click "Next". Give the R.P. a name, then click "Create". The new point will be stamped with the current date and time. Keep a log of this so you can find it easily should you need to use System Restore.
  • Then use Disk Cleanup to remove all but the most recently created Restore Point.
  • Go to Start > Run and type: Cleanmgr
  • Click "Ok". Disk Cleanup will scan your files for several minutes, then open.
  • Click the "More Options" tab, then click the "Clean up" button under System Restore.
  • Click Ok. You will be prompted with "Are you sure you want to delete all but the most recent restore point?"
  • Click Yes, then click Ok.
  • Click Yes again when prompted with "Are you sure you want to perform these actions?"
  • Disk Cleanup will remove the files and close automatically.
Vista Users can refer to these links: Create a New Restore Point and Disk Cleanup.

#11 Julia M

Julia M
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2009 - 06:43 PM

Things seem to be going well. I did run some more scans, avg, ad-aware, malwarebytes and superantispyware and all came up clean.
I did the system restore point as you suggested and deleted the old ones.
The only thing I am still noticing and thought maybe I should mention is a couple weeks ago I bought new optical mouse that uses a usb cable. Ever since from time to time in the task bar when I reboot the "safely remore hardware" icon comes up. When I click it it shows that I have a usb mass storage device plugged in at location 0 and that I can click it to stop it so it can be removed.
The thing is the only thing I have plugged into a usb port is my printer (which has been plugged in for months and the symbol never came up ) and the new mouse. I thought this was coming up because of the new mouse but now I am wondering if this is something to be concerned with as well since it just came up again when I rebooted. I moved the mouse to a differnt usb port. Rebooted and it was gone, re booted again later and it came up again. Still says USB Mass Storage device at location 0.

It's the same symbol that comes up when I have my MP3 player plugged in.

Thank you again for all your help and advice!

Edited by Julia M, 20 March 2009 - 09:38 PM.

#12 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 32,776 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2009 - 10:09 PM

The Safely Remove Hardware Icon showing is normal when Windows detects new usb devices plugged into the machine. When a new device is plugged in, Windows will display a "Found new hardware" balloon notification message in the systray, configure it and assign the device to the first available port. For a mouse or printer, it does not appear routinely until other USB devices are connected like your MP3 Player or a flash drive. Nothing to be concerned about. Sounds like Windows may have encountered a problem configuring the mouse. When you changed ports and rebooted the problem was resolved.

BTW, when you open "Safely Remove Hardware", you will see a box which you can check to Display device components so you can view and identify them. USBDeview is a free third party utility which can be used to view and identify installed device components.

#13 Julia M

Julia M
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2009 - 12:51 AM

Things seemed to be going ok. Until tonight.
The safely remove hardware icon never went away and is still always telling me I have a Mass Storage Device plugged in and still keeps coming up even though there is none, finally I removed the new mouse just to see and even after several reboots it still is coming up.
Now tonight when I went to plug in my mp3 player it wont register it is attached. The player is charging fine...the computer just says its not attached. I moved it to a different usb slot and same thing. Rebooted several times. Still nothing.
I checked the mp3 on another computer and it reads fine there.

Could this still be some effects of the virus?
I am to the point now I am considered a reformat.
This is the second virus I have had in a year. I had the Antivirus 2008 last year and I am not sure if my computer ever fully worked right again after that one.

Thanks for any ideas and for all your time.

#14 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 32,776 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2009 - 08:41 AM

I have not heard the symptoms you describe as a side affect of malware. I suggest you start a new topic in the Windows XP forum and continue there.

#15 Julia M

Julia M
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2009 - 10:56 AM

Thank you again for all your time :flowers:

I also did some net research on this as a virus symptom and could not find anything either.

This morning I did some tinkering around in the device manager, usb area and uninstalled and reinstalled some drivers. Now its reading the mp3 is plugged in again. :thumbsup:

Hopefully that did the trick...if not I will check out the XP forum.

Edit to update.

Edited by Julia M, 23 March 2009 - 11:27 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users