Remove Renus 2008
What this programs does:
Renus 2008 is a clone of the rogue anti-spyware programs called Antivirus XP Pro and AntiSpyware 3000. Like its predecessors, this rogue is installed and advertised through the use of Trojans. These Trojans will display nag screens stating that you are infected until you click on them. Once you click on the alert, it automatically downloads and installs Renus 2008 onto your computer.
Renus 2008 screen shot
For more screen shots of this infection click on the image above.
There are a total of 3 images you can view.
When Renus is installed, it will be set to start every time you login to Windows. Once running, it will scan your computer and list a variety of infections that cannot be removed unless you purchase the program. These infections, though, are actually hard coded into the program so that regardless of how many times you run the program it will always display the same infections. In fact, regardless of how infected your computer is, Renus 2008 is incapable of detecting any infections on your computer other than the false ones hard coded into the program. The infections it states it detects are always:
C:\WINDOWS\EasyAV.exe as W32/Zafi-B
C:\WINDOWS\Config\PWS-LegMir.dll as Packed.Win32.NSAnti.r
C:\Program Files\Britney Spears blowjob.jpg.exe as W32/Netsky-P
C:\WINDOWS\system32\idd78f.tmp.exe as Porn-Dialer.Win32.IDialer.k
C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\ip6fw.sys as Troj/Pushdo-Gen
C:\WINDOWS\system32\WarezP2P_DLC.exe as Packed.Win32.PolyCrypt.d
C:\WINDOWS\system32\r2qfkspe.exe as W32/Strati-Gen
C:\WINDOWS\lsass.exe as W32/MyDoom-N
C:\WINDOWS\system32\scanregw.exe as W32/Nyxem-D
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Winzip.exe as Mal/Iframe-E
This rogue will also display alerts from your Windows taskbar stating that your computer has infections and is at risk. he current text of this alert is:
Your Computer might be at Risk!
Viruses have been detected!
- Unauthorized access to your files, documents.
- Stealing from your banking accounts.
- Reading you private correspondence.
- Spam-mailing from your PC.
Highly recommended to destroy them immediately.
Please disregard anything this program tells you. Instead use the removal guide below in order to remove this infection for free.
Tools Needed for this fix:
Symptoms that may be in a HijackThis Log:
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [renus2008.exe] %DownloadedLocation%\renus.exe
03-18-09 - Initial guide creation.
- Print out these instructions as we will need to close every window that is open later in the fix.
- Download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, or MBAM, from the following location and save it to your desktop:
Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware Download Link
- Once downloaded, close all programs and Windows on your computer, including this one.
- Double-click on the icon on your desktop named Download_mbam-setup.exe. This will start the installation of MBAM onto your computer.
- When the installation begins, keep following the prompts in order to continue with the installation process. Do not make any changes to default settings and when the program has finished installing, make sure you leave both the Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware checked. Then click on the Finish button.
- MBAM will now automatically start and you will see a message stating that you should update the program before performing a scan. As MBAM will automatically update itself after the install, you can press the OK button to close that box and you will now be at the main program as shown below.
- On the Scanner tab, make sure the the Perform quick scan option is selected and then click on the Scan button to start scanning your computer for Renus 2008 related files.
- MBAM will now start scanning your computer for malware. This process can take quite a while, so we suggest you go and do something else and periodically check on the status of the scan. When MBAM is scanning it will look like the image below.
- When the scan is finished a message box will appear as shown in the image below.
You should click on the OK button to close the message box and continue with the Renus2008 removal process.
- You will now be back at the main Scanner screen. At this point you should click on the Show Results button.
- A screen displaying all the malware that the program found will be shown as seen in the image below. Please note that the infections found may be different than what is shown in the image.
You should now click on the Remove Selected button to remove all the listed malware. MBAM will now delete all of the files and registry keys and add them to the programs quarantine. When removing the files, MBAM may require a reboot in order to remove some of them. If it displays a message stating that it needs to reboot, please allow it to do so. Once your computer has rebooted, and you are logged in, please continue with the rest of the steps.
- When MBAM has finished removing the malware, it will open the scan log and display it in Notepad. Review the log as desired, and then close the Notepad window.
- You can now exit the MBAM program.
Your computer should now be free of the Renus2008 program. If your current anti-virus solution let this infection through, you may want to consider purchasing the PRO version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware to protect against these types of threats in the future.
If you are still having problems with your computer after completing these instructions, then please follow the steps outlined in the topic linked below:
Associated Renus 2008 Files:
Associated Renus 2008 Windows Registry Information:
This is a self-help guide. Use at your own risk.
BleepingComputer.com can not be held responsible for problems that may occur by using this information. If you would like help with any of these fixes, you can post a HijackThis log in our HijackThis Logs and Analysis forum.
If you have any questions about this self-help guide then please post those questions in our AntiVirus, Firewall and Privacy Products and Protection Methods forum and someone will help you.