Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

how do i remove Zone Alarm nag screen

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#16 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,485 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 AM

Posted 21 March 2009 - 10:05 PM

The update nag might be about not ZA but the system. In version 8, ZA appears to check for the correct, updated system version. So the question to Paulrenno is: are both of your systems, XP and Vista up to date with the major MS service packs. For XP it should be SP3. For Vista, I don't know, I think SP1.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#17 Paulrenno

Paulrenno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 302 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 AM

Posted 23 March 2009 - 04:39 AM

The nag screen comes on EVERY time the PC is booted up. Even if I have to restart the computer after installing updates etc; it comes back on. This has been going on for ages now, and it wasnt as soon as I installed Zone Alarm - this had been up and running for a couple of weeks before the security options nag started popping up.

Thing is, until you click either 'Tell me more' or 'No Thanks' you cannot access the Zone Alarm panel.

The other problem is, I have scoured Checkpoints web site, and looked for help there, but there is no way you can contact them with a free firewall - they only want to know if you have a paid-for product.

What I wanted to know, has this affected everyone with free ZA?

#18 Paulrenno

Paulrenno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 302 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2009 - 06:56 AM

I have Microsoft updates on automatic. XP is up to date with SP3 (although the nag screen has gone from XP machine - it only came up once).
Vista is SP 1 - this is the machine which has the nag every time the machine boots up and wont allow Zone Alarm to do anything unless you click either of the two boxes.

#19 Roderunner

Roderunner

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 AM

Posted 25 March 2009 - 05:06 AM

I have used ZA free firewall on XP + Vista and never got the 'nag' popup.
To me ( and not intending anything rude) you never read the current page before clicking next during installation.
When installation is started there is the option to accept only the free version, (cannot remember wording for the other option).
Your best bet is to shut down ZA and remove it, then use the 'search feature' to find and remove it completely manually.
Next step, reinstall correctly. :thumbsup:

George's PC Specs. / Laptop.  Desktop.

#20 mossie3

mossie3

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 AM

Posted 31 March 2009 - 04:38 AM

Paul, I have the same nag screen as you describe, that comes up every time at boot up.

Vists, and free zone alarm.

#21 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 31 March 2009 - 05:28 AM

Hi mossie3, please start a new topic requesting help. The proper help can be provided if you do this.

Everybody else, please comply!

#22 Oduig

Oduig

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2009 - 11:22 AM

Hi there.
I created an account on the forums just to share my solution to this issue.

I have Windows Vista 32 bit and the nag appears every time I start ZoneAlarm. Checking Manual updates won't help, nor will going into safe mode to edit the registry keys. But the issue seems to occur only on Windows Vista. Hence, I tried the following:

- Go to Drive:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm and right click zlclient.exe.
- Select Properties
- Go to the Compatibility tab
- Check 'Execute this application in compatibility mode'
- Check 'Windows XP (Service Pack 2)
- Close the window.

Repeat this for zonealarm.exe.

This should stop the nag from showing.

#23 LoserDave

LoserDave

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2010 - 09:35 AM

Hi there.
I created an account on the forums just to share my solution to this issue.

I have Windows Vista 32 bit and the nag appears every time I start ZoneAlarm. Checking Manual updates won't help, nor will going into safe mode to edit the registry keys. But the issue seems to occur only on Windows Vista. Hence, I tried the following:

- Go to Drive:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm and right click zlclient.exe.
- Select Properties
- Go to the Compatibility tab
- Check 'Execute this application in compatibility mode'
- Check 'Windows XP (Service Pack 2)
- Close the window.

Repeat this for zonealarm.exe.

This should stop the nag from showing.

Thank you for that suggestion.
I wish it would work with Windows 7 64bit, but it does not

#24 LoserDave

LoserDave

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2010 - 10:00 AM

With regard Windows 7 64bit
The following seems to be working so far.

#1 Uninstall ZoneAlarm
#2 restart
#3 reinstall zone alarm,, (you will still get the nag screen here, click no and continue)
#4 restart and open the Zone alarm application, goto / Overview/ Preferences/ Check for Updates, select "manual" (you will get a warning screen) accept

So far,,, no nag screen on start-up ,, but not sure if that will last more than 30 days.

Edited by LoserDave, 22 January 2010 - 10:03 AM.

#25 peelo2020

peelo2020

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2010 - 02:44 PM

I had to register to this forum just for this post. Actually my friend came up with the idea so all thanks to him.

The problem with the ZoneAlarm Free nag screen (ZoneAlarm Security Options) is that the Windows UAC (User Account Control) is blocking the nag screen to write down any information to your computer when the screen has last time appeared. It should definetly NOT pop-up every time you boot up your computer, only occasionally (perhaps once a month?), but because the the UAC blocks the screen to write down any information the nag screen will show up everytime. The screen propably wants to modify windows registry and UAC won't allow it to do so.

Only way, as far as I know, to get rid of the nag screen is to disable Windows UAC and then reboot your computer. The nag screen should then appear again but this time the screen can store the information when it has last time appeared and not pop-up again for awhile. You can then activate UAC again, if you want, or leave it off. Personally I don't recommend leaving the UAC off because it is pretty useful safety feature in windows, if used correctly, but it is up to you. If you turn the UAC back on the next time the screen appears you have to go through disabling the UAC hassle all over again. Not a permanent solution if you use UAC but at least it is something.

Information how to disable the UAC can be found using google (disable UAC windows 7, or Vista etc.).

So, there you have it. Hope this helps.

#26 squidink

squidink

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2010 - 05:08 AM

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The nag screen sticks, my friend! The only way to get rid of it is a registry tweak, and I do not recommend doing it.

--- it's not any sort of damaging reg tweak... what is there to not recommend?

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm

RunSwitchbackWizard ..set the Value data to 0 (instead of 1)
RunUpsellNotice ...set the Value data to 0 (instead of 1)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Might be the price for having a free product (which really costs some to develop when we think about it).

On Overview - Preferences - Check for product updates
Try to set the Manual option.
There might be also a place to set the days till next reminder.
If not on this screen, then perhaps when the next notice shows up?

It's a free firewall that comes with a free nag screen - I think you still get a choice of "Remind me in 30? 60 days? not sure of what the time interval is.

I think tos226 has the right fix. I have the same ZA Free Firewall and I have unchecked for automatic updating. Set for manual.
I do not get the popup you describe.

I also use "hibernate" most of the time. I am sure that stops any nags, too.

---this isn't about the update reminder... it's about the upgrade nag screen on ZA startup...

The update nag might be about not ZA but the system. In version 8, ZA appears to check for the correct, updated system version. So the question to Paulrenno is: are both of your systems, XP and Vista up to date with the major MS service packs. For XP it should be SP3. For Vista, I don't know, I think SP1.

--- since when? besides that would be just as relevant as the update reminder...

I have used ZA free firewall on XP + Vista and never got the 'nag' popup.
To me ( and not intending anything rude) you never read the current page before clicking next during installation.
When installation is started there is the option to accept only the free version, (cannot remember wording for the other option).
Your best bet is to shut down ZA and remove it, then use the 'search feature' to find and remove it completely manually.
Next step, reinstall correctly. :thumbsup:

--- that regards installing just the free/fire wall only or choosing to install the trial of the full suite...
has nothing to do with the issue the OP is speaking of...

With regard Windows 7 64bit
The following seems to be working so far.

#1 Uninstall ZoneAlarm
#2 restart
#3 reinstall zone alarm,, (you will still get the nag screen here, click no and continue)
#4 restart and open the Zone alarm application, goto / Overview/ Preferences/ Check for Updates, select "manual" (you will get a warning screen) accept

So far,,, no nag screen on start-up ,, but not sure if that will last more than 30 days.

--- again, this isn't about the update reminder...

I had to register to this forum just for this post. Actually my friend came up with the idea so all thanks to him.

The problem with the ZoneAlarm Free nag screen (ZoneAlarm Security Options) is that the Windows UAC (User Account Control) is blocking the nag screen to write down any information to your computer when the screen has last time appeared. It should definetly NOT pop-up every time you boot up your computer, only occasionally (perhaps once a month?), but because the the UAC blocks the screen to write down any information the nag screen will show up everytime. The screen propably wants to modify windows registry and UAC won't allow it to do so.

Only way, as far as I know, to get rid of the nag screen is to disable Windows UAC and then reboot your computer. The nag screen should then appear again but this time the screen can store the information when it has last time appeared and not pop-up again for awhile. You can then activate UAC again, if you want, or leave it off. Personally I don't recommend leaving the UAC off because it is pretty useful safety feature in windows, if used correctly, but it is up to you. If you turn the UAC back on the next time the screen appears you have to go through disabling the UAC hassle all over again. Not a permanent solution if you use UAC but at least it is something.

Information how to disable the UAC can be found using google (disable UAC windows 7, or Vista etc.).

--- if so then UAC would be popping it's head up asking if you want to allow ZA to do such...

--- this isn't exactly a zone alarm issue... it's a vista issue...
one can have the same version of ZA installed on a non-vista system and the upgrade nag goes away after the initial showing if one deals with it, either by choosing to be told more or to decline...

i myself have used ZA for ages... never had the reoccurring except on my vista system...
my xp, which is running the same version has no such problem...

#27 dulait

dulait

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2010 - 12:28 AM

Thanks! I can confirm that this suggestion worked for me.

Vista Home Premium 64bit SP2
ZoneAlarm 9.1.007.002

#28 Bnystrom

Bnystrom

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2010 - 04:38 PM

I can confirm that the UAC workaround also works with Win7 Home Premium 64-bit. BTW, I tried just setting the client executable to "run as administrator", but that just resulted in a different message every time.

#29 chromebuster

chromebuster

• Members
  • 880 posts
  •  
  • Location:the crazy city of Boston, In the North East reaches of New England

Posted 11 August 2010 - 09:36 PM

Speaking of UAC, only a few types of people need it in my opinion. I think, that if you know what you're doing, and you know what is what, then you should leave it off so you can do your computing tasks in peace.

The AccessCop Network is just me and my crew. 

Some call me The Queen of Cambridge

#30 JonM33

JonM33

• Banned
  • 503 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2010 - 09:45 PM

I use it because I prefer to have that extra level of security. Why not use it? It doesn't do anything negative.

Can someone help me please. I have Zone Alarm free firewall version 8.0.065.000 for Vista. I have had it installed for a few weeks but have just noticed that every time I boot the computer up, a Zone Alarm nag screen pops up giving me an option to have the internet security, with two boxes for me to choose. One says 'Tell me More' whilst the other one - the one I have to keep using every day - says 'No Thanks'.

The trouble is, this nag pop up comes on every day at start up, and it doesnt matter which box i choose, it still comes up the following day. How do I remove it? or stop it from popping up?
Ive been on msconfig and its not there.

Any help would be appreciated.

Use a different firewall program?

Edited by JonM33, 11 August 2010 - 09:48 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users