Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

The little pest Java update pop up!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 John in Oman

John in Oman

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 AM

Posted 13 March 2009 - 05:34 AM

Hello all.

I am slowly being driven crazy by the little orange Java pop up requesting me to update. For starters when i initially tried to update nothing happened. Since then every 30 mins or so this pest arrives on my screen/toolbar.

I have tried to deactivate the update by unclicking the box in the Java 'area' but that is instantly overridden and refuses to stick no matter how i try to find a way round.

Please may someone have a solution to this very very tiresome problem.

Many thanks and regards to all.
John

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 audioAl

audioAl

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 AM

Posted 13 March 2009 - 05:53 AM

Hello all.

I am slowly being driven crazy by the little orange Java pop up requesting me to update. For starters when i initially tried to update nothing happened. Since then every 30 mins or so this pest arrives on my screen/toolbar.

I have tried to deactivate the update by unclicking the box in the Java 'area' but that is instantly overridden and refuses to stick no matter how i try to find a way round.

Please may someone have a solution to this very very tiresome problem.

Many thanks and regards to all.
John

Wow, that's strange. I just updated yesterday or the day before, no problems for me, I wish I could help except to say, I uninstall and reinstall when this happens to me. Wait for more advise before you try this fix,Alan
Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit/Intel e5300 cpu/ASRock G41M-LE mainboard/G max4500 onboard graphics/4gigs OCZ 800Mhz ram/ VIA onboard HD Vinyl audio/Yamaha RX-V465 HT receiver/ Cambridge SoundWorks and Infinity RS1001 speakers

#3 SLIX

SLIX

• Members
  • 380 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 AM

Posted 13 March 2009 - 08:21 AM

Hi

The latest version of Java is V6 update 12.
If the Java update has got itself into a tangle you could try removing and then reinstalling it using the following steps.
  • Download the latest version of Java Runtime Environment (JRE) Version 6 and save it to your desktop.
  • Scroll down to where it says "Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 6 Update 12...allows end-users to run Java applications".
  • Click the "Download" button to the right.
  • Select your Platform: "Windows".
  • Select your Language: "Multi-language".
  • Read the License Agreement, and then check the box that says: "Accept License Agreement".
  • Click Continue and the page will refresh.
  • Click on the link to download Windows Offline Installation and save the file to your desktop.
  • Close any programs you may have running - especially your web browser.
  • Go to Start > Settings > Control Panel, double-click on Add/Remove Programs and remove all older versions of Java.
  • Check (highlight) any item with Java Runtime Environment (JRE or J2SE) in the name.
  • Click the Remove or Change/Remove button.
  • Repeat as many times as necessary to remove each Java versions.
  • Reboot your computer once all Java components are removed.
  • Then from your desktop double-click on jre-6u12-windows-i586-p.exe to install the newest version.

Steve

#4 John in Oman

John in Oman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 AM

Posted 13 March 2009 - 08:06 PM

Hi Slix

All done successfully!
Many many thanks.