Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Font Capture? That sounds BAD!

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 cheeseburgermonkey

cheeseburgermonkey

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 AM

Posted 07 March 2009 - 07:30 PM

And where does it come from?? As far as I can see I have not found this program in my control panel, nor in any of the processes running in taskbar! Is this a program that captures my passwords and sends them to hackers?? How do I get rid of it!?

Some back story: I had the Vundo virus last week, and I used AdAware to get rid of it(was called Virtumonde.) The next few times I ran AdAware it was clean, but a few days ago I ran a full scan and a virus called SuperJuan pooped up(which I promptly deleted.) Also, my computer runs slow lately, and random quick error things popup on windows close(usually too fast too read, but I caught the one that said Font Capture!) Another thing that was still happening after I removed Virtumonde was that I would get an error message about a file on startup called rhwyxjfe.dll. I shut off this process in MsConfig, but I can't remove it from the list. I then ran AdAware full scan a few more times, but nothing other than cookies ever show up in the log. Regardless of that I still have random programs I've never seen shutting down on Windows Close.

Any ideas? I'd really appreciate the help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 AM

Posted 07 March 2009 - 10:10 PM

AdAware will not get rid of Virtumonde.

As far as Font capture goes, it appears to be related to Adobe Reader. Many have recommended deleting Adobe temp. files. A method is described here:
http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewConten...4&sliceId=2

To see if you are clear of Malware use Mbam
-------------------------------------

The process of cleaning your computer may require you to temporarily disable some security programs. If you are using SpyBot Search and Destroy, please refer to Note 2 at the bottom of this page.

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and save it to your desktop.
alternate download link 1
alternate download link 2
  • Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
  • Double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
  • When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
  • When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Then click Finish.
MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan.
  • If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself.
  • Press the OK button to close that box and continue.
  • If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.
On the Scanner tab:
  • Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
  • Then click on the Scan button.
  • If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
  • The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
  • When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
  • Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
Back at the main Scanner screen:
  • Click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply and exit MBAM.
Note:
-- If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you may be asked to reboot your computer so it can proceed with the disinfection process. Regardless if prompted to restart the computer or not, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.

Note 2:
-- MBAM may make changes to your registry as part of its disinfection routine. If you're using other security programs that detect registry changes (like Spybot's Teatimer), they may interfere with the fix or alert you after scanning with MBAM. Please disable such programs until disinfection is complete or permit them to allow the changes. To disable these programs, please view this topic: How To Temporarily Disable Your Anti-virus, Firewall And Anti-malware Programs
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 60,071 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2009 - 10:26 PM

Hello and welcome. we can do a couple of things to fix you up.
First Font capture probably isn't malware but lost or misplaced fonts. What version of Adobe Reader and Acrobat are running?

Delete the temporary files that Acrobat or Reader creates, and then install the update or upgrade.

Acrobat 6.0 and Adobe Reader 6.0 may not delete the temporary files that they create during normal processes, such as filling in forms. Because Acrobat and Reader check temporary files at startup, an excess of temporary files can cause a long delay during startup or appear to be a freeze.

To delete temporary files:

1. Choose Start > Run, and type command in the Open text box. Click OK.

2. Type the following commands and press Enter after each command:

c:

cd\

del acr*.tmp /s

Note: Many lines of text will fill the Command.com window as this process runs. Wait for the process to complete (when the text has stopped for about 10 seconds), and then continue to the next step.

3. Type exit to close the Command.com window.

NOW open Control Panel and Uninstall all Adobe Actobat and Reader programs. Reboot.
Go to http://get.adobe.com/reader/otherversions/ ... Select your OS and Language

Install Adobe Reader 9
NOTE: Be sure to UN check the box in front of Free Google Toolbar (optional)

would get an error message about a file on startup called rhwyxjfe.dll

To resolve this, download Autoruns, search for the related entry and then delete it.

Create a new folder on your hard drive called AutoRuns (C:\AutoRuns) and extract (unzip) the file there. (click HERE if you're not sure how to do this.)
Open the folder and double-click on autoruns.exe to launch it.
Please be patient as it scans and populates the entries.
When done scanning, it will say Ready at the bottom.
Scroll through the list and look for a startup entry related to the file(s) in the error message.
Right-click on the entry and choose delete.
Reboot your computer and see if the startup error returns.

Next run MBAM:
Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (v1.32) and save it to your desktop.
alternate download link 1
alternate download link 2
If you have a previous version of MBAM, remove it via Add/Remove Programs and download a fresh copy.
  • Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
  • Double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
  • When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
  • When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Then click Finish.
MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan.
  • If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself.
  • Press the OK button to close that box and continue.
  • If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install. Alternatively, you can update through MBAM's interface from a clean computer, copy the definitions (rules.ref) located in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from that system to a usb stick or CD and then copy it to the infected machine.
On the Scanner tab:
  • Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
  • Then click on the Scan button.
  • If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
  • The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
  • When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
  • Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
Back at the main Scanner screen:
  • Click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply and exit MBAM.
Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you may be asked to reboot your computer so it can proceed with the disinfection process. Regardless if prompted to restart the computer or not, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware. MBAM may "make changes to your registry" as part of its disinfection routine. If using other security programs that detect registry changes (ie Spybot's Teatimer), they may interfere or alert you after scanning with MBAM. Please temporarily disable such programs or permit them to allow the changes.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?
Staying Updated Calendar of Updates.
For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook Have you seen..Select Real Security

#4 cheeseburgermonkey

cheeseburgermonkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2009 - 12:24 AM

Thank you both so much for answering! I guess I did still have the Vundo virus, here are my MBAM results.

ETA: I just restarted the computer and got this error message on Windows close: The instruction at "0x03b7f0" referenced memory at "0x03b7f0". The memory could not be "read".

Was that supposed to happen after using MBAM?

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.34
Database version: 1826
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3

3/7/2009 9:22:56 PM
mbam-log-2009-03-07 (21-22-56).txt

Scan type: Quick Scan
Objects scanned: 95282
Time elapsed: 17 minute(s), 10 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 10
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 3

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\contim (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\instkey (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\RemoveRP (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MyWebSearch (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Multimedia\WMPlayer\Schemes\f3pss (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\FunWebProducts (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Fun Web Products (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\MyWebSearch (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\FocusInteractive (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Fun Web Products (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:
C:\fixup.cmd (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\smdat32a.sys (Rootkit.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\smdat32m.sys (Rootkit.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Edited by cheeseburgermonkey, 08 March 2009 - 12:33 AM.

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 60,071 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2009 - 01:11 PM

Hi, I see Mark and I were replying at the same time. MBAM is a malwaere remover and may ask you to reboot after a scan.

Do these next . Let me know if you still get the error message.

From your regular user account..
Download Attribune's ATF Cleaner and then SUPERAntiSpyware , Free Home Version. Save both to desktop ..
DO NOT run yet.
Open SUPER from icon and install and Update it
Under Scanner Options make sure the following are checked (leave all others unchecked):
Close browsers before scanning.
Scan for tracking cookies.
Terminate memory threats before quarantining
Click the "Close" button to leave the control center screen and exit the program. DO NOT run yet.

Now reboot into Safe Mode: How to enter safe mode(XP)
Using the F8 Method
Restart your computer.
When the machine first starts again it will generally list some equipment that is installed in your machine, amount of memory, hard drives installed etc. At this point you should gently tap the F8 key repeatedly until you are presented with a Windows XP Advanced Options menu.
Select the option for Safe Mode using the arrow keys.
Then press enter on your keyboard to boot into Safe Mode

Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
Under Main "Select Files to Delete" choose: Select All.
Click the Empty Selected button.

If you use Firefox or Opera browser click that browser at the top and choose: Select All
Click the Empty Selected button.
If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program

NOW Scan with SUPER
Open from the desktop icon or the program Files list
On the left, make sure you check C:\Fixed Drive.
Perform a Complete scan. After scan,Verify they are all checked.
Click OK on the summary screen to quarantine all found items.
If asked if you want to reboot, click "Yes" and reboot normally.

To retrieve the removal information after reboot, launch SUPERAntispyware again.
Click Preferences, then click the Statistics/Logs tab.
Under Scanner Logs, double-click SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log.
If there are several logs, click the current dated log and press View log.
A text file will open in your default text editor.
Please copy and paste the Scan Log results in your next reply.
Click Close to exit the program.

Please ask any needed questions,post log and Let us know how the PC is running now.
For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....

#6 cheeseburgermonkey

cheeseburgermonkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2009 - 09:02 PM

Hi again. Thank you for responding. Sorry i took so long to reply; I wasn't able to boot into safe mode with my wireless keyboard, so i had to go pick up a wired one at a thrift store :/ Anyways, i followed your instructions and here is my SUPER log:

SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log
http://www.superantispyware.com

Generated 03/10/2009 at 06:39 PM

Application Version : 4.25.1014

Core Rules Database Version : 3788
Trace Rules Database Version: 1745

Scan type : Complete Scan
Total Scan Time : 05:56:53

Memory items scanned : 231
Memory threats detected : 0
Registry items scanned : 7217
Registry threats detected : 8
File items scanned : 210650
File threats detected : 5

Adware.Tracking Cookie
C:\Documents and Settings\Natalie\Cookies\[email protected][1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Natalie\Local Settings\Temp\Cookies\[email protected][1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Natalie\Local Settings\Temp\Cookies\[email protected][1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Natalie\Local Settings\Temp\Cookies\natalie@atwola[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Natalie\Local Settings\Temp\Cookies\[email protected][2].txt

Adware.MyWebSearch/FunWebProducts
HKU\.DEFAULT\SOFTWARE\Fun Web Products
HKU\S-1-5-20\SOFTWARE\Fun Web Products
HKU\S-1-5-20_Classes\SOFTWARE\Fun Web Products
HKU\S-1-5-21-1715567821-1482476501-725345543-1004_Classes\SOFTWARE\Fun Web Products
HKU\S-1-5-18\SOFTWARE\Fun Web Products
HKU\S-1-5-21-1715567821-1482476501-725345543-1004\SOFTWARE\FunWebProducts
HKCR\CLSID\{9AFB8248-617F-460d-9366-D71CDEDA3179}
HKCR\CLSID\{9AFB8248-617F-460d-9366-D71CDEDA3179}\TreatAs

#7 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 60,071 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2009 - 09:32 PM

That's fine, Now one more scan. Update me on the symptoms you had.

Rerun MBAM

Open MBAM in normal mode and click Update tab, select Check for Updates,when done
click Scanner tab,select Quick scan and scan.
After scan click Remove Selected, Post new scan log and Reboot into normal mode.

#8 cheeseburgermonkey

cheeseburgermonkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2009 - 11:13 PM

It says No Malicious Items Were Detected. That's good, right? Or could they come back?

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.34
Database version: 1833
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3

3/10/2009 9:11:35 PM
mbam-log-2009-03-10 (21-11-35).txt

Scan type: Quick Scan
Objects scanned: 97789
Time elapsed: 16 minute(s), 50 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

#9 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 60,071 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2009 - 01:30 PM

No you look good,
Now you should Create a New Restore Point to prevent possible reinfection from an old one. Some of the malware you picked up could have been saved in System Restore. Since this is a protected directory your tools cannot access to delete these files, they sometimes can reinfect your system if you accidentally use an old restore point. Setting a new restore point AFTER cleaning your system will help prevent this and enable your computer to "roll-back" to a clean working state.

The easiest and safest way to do this is:
  • Go to Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools and click "System Restore".
  • Choose the radio button marked "Create a Restore Point" on the first screen then click "Next". Give the R.P. a name, then click "Create". The new point will be stamped with the current date and time. Keep a log of this so you can find it easily should you need to use System Restore.
  • Then use Disk Cleanup to remove all but the most recently created Restore Point.
  • Go to Start > Run and type: Cleanmgr
  • Click "Ok". Disk Cleanup will scan your files for several minutes, then open.
  • Click the "More Options" tab, then click the "Clean up" button under System Restore.
  • Click Ok. You will be prompted with "Are you sure you want to delete all but the most recent restore point?"
  • Click Yes, then click Ok.
  • Click Yes again when prompted with "Are you sure you want to perform these actions?"
  • Disk Cleanup will remove the files and close automatically.
Vista Users can refer to these links: Create a New Restore Point and Disk Cleanup.

#10 cheeseburgermonkey

cheeseburgermonkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2009 - 01:56 PM

Thank you for your help. Should I delete all the programs I saved to the desktop now? (MBAM, ATF cleaner, SUPER)

#11 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 60,071 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2009 - 02:17 PM

This is good! Actually you may want to keep the SAS and MBAM ,update weekly and scan. Up to you ..

Now you should Create a New Restore Point to prevent possible reinfection from an old one. Some of the malware you picked up could have been saved in System Restore. Since this is a protected directory your tools cannot access to delete these files, they sometimes can reinfect your system if you accidentally use an old restore point. Setting a new restore point AFTER cleaning your system will help prevent this and enable your computer to "roll-back" to a clean working state.

The easiest and safest way to do this is:
  • Go to Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools and click "System Restore".
  • Choose the radio button marked "Create a Restore Point" on the first screen then click "Next". Give the R.P. a name, then click "Create". The new point will be stamped with the current date and time. Keep a log of this so you can find it easily should you need to use System Restore.
  • Then use Disk Cleanup to remove all but the most recently created Restore Point.
  • Go to Start > Run and type: Cleanmgr
  • Click "Ok". Disk Cleanup will scan your files for several minutes, then open.
  • Click the "More Options" tab, then click the "Clean up" button under System Restore.
  • Click Ok. You will be prompted with "Are you sure you want to delete all but the most recent restore point?"
  • Click Yes, then click Ok.
  • Click Yes again when prompted with "Are you sure you want to perform these actions?"
  • Disk Cleanup will remove the files and close automatically.
Vista Users can refer to these links: Create a New Restore Point and Disk Cleanup.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users