Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Print Server 2003 access denied

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 bleepingnetwork

bleepingnetwork

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 AM

Posted 04 March 2009 - 08:57 AM

At my whits end on this one.

Server 2003 with XP work stations and HP printers.

Admins and Users are able to print from all my printers, my problem is that the printers say "access denied" and jobs do not show up in the spooler for the users. So far I have,
1. Deleted printers from local machines and re-added them.
2. ensured the drivers are from the OEM and reinstalled them.
3. Removed the printers and drivers from the server and reinstalled them.
4. Checked group policy and ensured that users have rights to add printers, even gave users the rights to install drivers.
5. verified that it is only some user accounts/ or some machines are haveing this issue.
6. Ensured that the machines are recieving Group policy.
7. verified the Domain users AD groups are included with the print operators group.
8. verified the printers are being shared, and that users should be able to access the shared printer.
9. Pulled out a few hairs,,, hit my head againts the wall, and punched the printers like Fonzy and said "HEYyy" with the thumbs up and no help,

any one out there that might have a clue please let me know. And if you think it maybe something I have tried please speak up and tell me what ya think I m doing wrong.

BleepingNetwork

on a side note I have noticed that recently for some unexplained reason my print spooler has also grown from a typical 3K to over 40K mem usage.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 PM

Posted 05 March 2009 - 04:45 AM

Hi, access denied may mean that the user/users do not have enough permissions to print. So do the users that are having problems have something in common e.g. belonging to a certain group. Can an admin log onto one of the XP machines and print? If so then it has to be a policy from the server side.

Hi, access denied may mean that the user/users do not have enough permissions to print. So do the users that are having problems have something in common e.g. belonging to a certain group. Can an admin log onto one of the XP machines and print? If so then it has to be a policy from the server side.
MCP
MSDST

#3 bleepingnetwork

bleepingnetwork
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2009 - 01:43 AM

Thanks for the response,

Well I would have to agree with you on it being a server side permission.
But I am unable to figure which permission in Group Policy.
According to the MMC group policy management module in which I ran shows that all systems have the right to print.
I quadriple checked the groups in which the users are in and there is nothing abnormal, but I could be missing something.

Yes the Admin has not problems on any of the work stations.

BleepingNetwork

#4 k-ram

k-ram

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 PM

Posted 22 December 2009 - 04:05 PM

Had exactly like the same problem (as your point 5) and nailed it down to permissions even though Group “Everyone” has print permissions. Seems to have nothing to do with drivers, policies etc.

My environment has 1 x 2003 Print Server, 200 printers (using HP Universal Print Driver ver 4.5) and 1200 Win XP Clients. Some users receive “Access Denied” to some printers whereas other users have no problem connecting to the same printers. The problem has been an intermittent over the past year. Deleting all printers and the drivers on client computer and re-adding them after a few days of encountering the issue, resolves the problem but is obviously not a solution as we seem to hit this same issue every few months for some users. Below did the trick for me.

1 - On your 2003 Print Server, select the printer the user can’t access: properties>security settings and add the name of the domain user who can’t access the device and apply.
2 – On the XP computer with the problem - Logon using the users credentials who has the “Access Denied” message. Delete only the printer that cannot access the server.
3 – Logoff and Logon as the same user and you should be able add this printer without problem.

If the above resolves the problem then create another AD Group and add all users with appropriate print permissions. Then add this new group to the security settings on each printer on the server. I can’t explain why this works apart from assuming that users now have explicit permissions to print.

Researching forums, other users (mostly Vista) are adding a local TCP/IP Port and connecting to the printer. Whilst this works for individual users or small groups, it would be a pain for a large group of users and defeats the purpose of a print server and it’s obvious benefits.

Good luck and I would be interested to know how you get on.

#5 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 AM

Posted 12 January 2010 - 11:50 AM

By default the user group only has the print permission. Therefore when trying to do anything else but print with the printer you will get that error message. If you want the users to be able to do all of the things you mentioned i.e. access theprinter(other than to print), access the spooler or cancel documents you will have to give them the manage printer right.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#6 bleepingnetwork

bleepingnetwork
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2010 - 04:29 AM

Well adding the User Directly to the Printers security on the server did not help. I am still getting access denied on the printers. The user group that the user is in as well has Print, Manage Printers, Manage Documents selected to allow.

#7 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2010 - 08:13 AM

Okay ..had to reread the post to get back up to speed and I may have confused myself :thumbsup: In your last post you say that the user group that the user is in has....... Are there any other users in that group and do they have the same issues? When are you getting the access denied message? When adding? Printing? trying to manage documents? Sorry if this seems redundant but reading from top to bottom things aren't making sense to me.
Mark Twain

#8 bleepingnetwork

bleepingnetwork
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2010 - 09:26 AM

thanks for the response

All users (Except Admin) are in the same AD groups.

Some users have no issues at all.

Some users see a "access denied" under the printers Icon in printers and faxes.

Some systems not all require an admin to localy install the drivers in order for a user to map a printer. (even though I have allowed users in Group policy to add printers and install printer drivers.) This comes up with an Access denied popup. then they usually ask me to come install the printer drivers and sometimes there is no access denied under their printer Icons and for some users there is.

Some users are not able to delete a printer once added.

Since I have started this Post I have setup completely new workstations for all the users but I am still recieving this issue. The Systems and users seem to be random in a sense that two users could be on the same machine with different issues e.g it works for one and not the other, then they can go to another machine and achieve the opposite results.

People are still able to print, but when they recieve the access denied they are sometimes unable to delete a printer or view the spooler. and it has happened that some people cannot view the printer properties.

Edited by bleepingnetwork, 01 February 2010 - 09:29 AM.

#9 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2010 - 11:21 AM

People are using different computers? I assume you are using roaming profiles then? If it is a random occurance from machine to machine and user to user on the same machine that the access denied message comes up then I doubt it is permission related. If it works for them once the permission setup is working and there is something else at play. If you are usin random profiles then I am thinking the problem is in that setup somehow. What process was used to set them up if you are using roaming profiles?
Mark Twain

#10 bleepingnetwork

bleepingnetwork
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2010 - 04:07 AM

thanks again for the response. but to awnser the question people are not using roaming profiles. I just had them try different machines for testing purposes.

#11 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2010 - 09:32 AM

Are all of the users "local administrators" on their respective machines? Need to get back to my test neteork to check a few things too.
Mark Twain

#12 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2010 - 10:59 PM

Check this out http://support.microsoft.com/kb/312055. i have tried unsuccessfully to recreate your problem but if you have added new workstaions and the problem persists it must be something with the server settings or printer settings on the server. Stumped :thumbsup:
Mark Twain

#13 Blart576

Blart576

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2010 - 01:43 PM

This link was helpful. Thanks

#14 bleepingnetwork

bleepingnetwork
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2010 - 04:15 AM

Well thank you for following through on this, but still no solution as of yet. People can still print, but it just shows Access denied... in grey under the Icon. Well looks like I am taking the whole network down and starting from scratch the next time the Boss asks about this issue. ... I am sure what ever it is gremlins are laughing at me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users