Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows XP audio device missing

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 orochi1082

orochi1082

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 AM

Posted 22 February 2009 - 11:57 PM

there is a yellow "!" mark next to "Audio Device on High Definition Audio Bus", but when I click reinstall driver it doesnt let me
I tried running the drivers CD that came with my PC(my motherboard is a M2N-MX SE PLUS)
when I try to install, this error is shown:
Realtek High Definition Audio Driver - InstallShield wizard
error at installing realtek HD audio driver [error code: -0001]
(this is roughly translated as I unfortunately dont have an english version of win XP)
I got Service Pack 3 installed and I just had to format my hdd due to a backdoor infection, if that matters
thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 AM

Posted 23 February 2009 - 12:23 AM

The Realtek High Definition Audio Driver that comes with , or is for, certain motherboards has a problem installing if SP3 is installed before the driver.

I have the Asus board in my sig that had that issue.
I had to "shop" sound drivers before I finally found a Gigabyte Azalia driver that worked with no problem.

'I have since discovered a "work around" .

First, go to the manufacturers site & if there is a chipset drive dowmoad it as well as the sound driver.

Next you need to edit the registy to "tell" the drivers you only have SP2.

Step 1: Run Regedit by Clicking on Start -> Run , type in regedit and press enter
Step 2: Make a backup of your registry (just in case)
Step 3: Browse to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contr ol\Windows"
Step 4: Modify the value of "CSDVersion" from "0x00000300" (SP3) to the Windows XP SP2 value of "0x00000200"
Step 5: Close registry editor
Step 6: Reboot

Now install the chipset driver & then the sound driver
When you are finished go back in the registry & change it back to SP3.

If you are interested the Gigabyte Realtek HD sound driver I used was for a GA-73VM-S2

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherb...er_Model.aspx?P

DON'T use the Chipset driver !
You might try the
"Realtek Function driver for Realtek Azalia audio chip (Including Microsoft UAA Driver in English edition)"
though.

That one installed on my Asus with no problem ,without modifying the registry, & works perfect.

Edited by fairjoeblue, 23 February 2009 - 12:27 AM.

OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#3 orochi1082

orochi1082
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2009 - 12:34 AM

could you please tell me how do I make a backup of my registry?

#4 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2009 - 12:53 AM

Go to Start>Run
Type in: regedit
When the registry editor opens , at the top , click on Registry
Click on Export
Name it something like RegBak & save it to My Documents

If you have to use the exported file to restore the registry right click on it & click on Merge.

If you try to use the exported file to restore the registry to SP3 after installing the sound drivers you will lose all of the entries for the sound drivers as the registry will be restored as it was before the sound drivers were installed .
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#5 dc3

dc3

Arachibutyrophobia

• Members
  • 19,089 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 AM

Posted 23 February 2009 - 01:15 AM

A suggestion has been made that involves modifying the registry. Modifying the registry can be dangerous (and can render your system unbootable) so it's advisable that you make a backup of the registry before proceeding.
Modification of the registry can be EXTREMELY dangerous if you do not know exactly what you are doing so follow the steps that are listed below EXACTLY. if you cannot perform some of these steps or if you have ANY questions please ask BEFORE proceeding.

Backing Up Your Registry
  • Go Here and download ERUNT
    (ERUNT (Emergency Recovery Utility NT) is a free program that allows you to keep a complete backup of your registry and restore it when needed.)
  • Install ERUNT by following the prompts
    (use the default install settings but say no to the portion that asks you to add ERUNT to the start-up folder, if you like you can enable this option later)
  • Start ERUNT
    (either by double clicking on the desktop icon or choosing to start the program at the end of the setup)
  • Choose a location for the backup
    (the default location is C:\WINDOWS\ERDNT which is acceptable).
  • Make sure that at least the first two check boxes are ticked
  • Press OK
  • Press YES to create the folder.
Registry Modifications

For more information about modifying the registry, see this Microsoft article: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/256986
I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.  Groucho Marx

#6 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2009 - 02:33 AM

If you make a mistake in the registry , have XP or above , & the OS won't start F8>Last know good configuration usually works.

I did download ERUNT to try it out though !
I'm always open to easier = better !

Edited by fairjoeblue, 23 February 2009 - 02:38 AM.

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped, new avatar (a camel) :0)

• Members
  • 16,690 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2009 - 08:30 AM

I'm usually opposed to "fooling the OS" via registry edits. The impact of the changes is unknown - until problems appear.

In the case of HD audio on an XP system - there's a requirement to have the KB888111 update installed prior to installing the sound driver.
SP2 and below didn't have this update, and it's packaged with SP3.

So, if you're trying to install a driver designed for SP2, it'll try to install the KB888111 update first. If the update is there in another form (such as being marked as the Manufacturer's rather than Microsoft's) I'd expect there to be issues in installing it.

The best thing (IMO) is to install the bare driver from the RealTek site: http://www.realtek.com.tw/DOWNLOADS/
The last time that I checked, this driver didn't contain the KB888111 update and installed seamlessly on XP SP3
- John
**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **

#8 orochi1082

orochi1082
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2009 - 11:44 AM

thanks for all the help, my audio is fixed, although I'm not particularly sure what worked since at first no methods worked
in the end I uninstalled SP3 and a lot of drivers

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped, new avatar (a camel) :0)

• Members
  • 16,690 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2009 - 12:07 PM

"Nothing succeeds like success!"
Glad you got it to work!
- John
**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users