Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which Startup Menu Items Aren't Necessary

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 J_Wright77

J_Wright77

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 PM

Posted 20 February 2009 - 10:34 AM

Program......File Name

ftutil2......rundll32.exe ftutil2.dll,SetWriteCacheMode
RTHDCPL......RTHDCPL.EXE
NvCplDaemon......RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
Recguard......C:\WINDOWS\SMINST\RECGUARD.EXE
HPBootOp......"C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Boot Optimizer\HPBootOp.exe" /run
GrooveMonitor......"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\GrooveMonitor.exe"
SunJavaUpdateSched......"C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jusched.exe"
AppleSyncNotifier......C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleSyncNotifier.exe
iTunesHelper......"C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
BD Agent......"C:\Program Files\BitDefender\Bitdefender 2009\bdagent.exe"
BitDefender Antiphishing Helper......"C:\Program Files\BitDefender\Bitdefender 2009\IEShow.exe"
Windows Desktop Search.lnk......C:\Program Files\Windows Desktop Search\WindowsSearch.exe

I currently run widowsXP home edition. Which of these startup items are necessary for my computer to run smoothly and which can I safely delete. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!!

Edited by J_Wright77, 20 February 2009 - 10:36 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Bleep Bleep!

• Admin
  • 40,364 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 PM

Posted 20 February 2009 - 10:56 AM

Have you followed the instructions here?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/33012/how-to-use-the-startup-database/

#3 Wingman

Wingman

• Security Colleague
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 PM

Posted 20 February 2009 - 11:27 AM

Here is what I found on these entries.
The RECGUARD entry is said to be protecting the Recovery partition of the computer... this is so you or anyone else doesn't mess with it. I would keep this safe guard active.

Instead of "deleting" these entries... I would use a program like Startup Inspector for windows... Startup Control Panel by Mike Lin or WinPatrol... these allow you to "disable" startup entries with the option to enable them again if you find you want or need them. Links to these program can be found in my signatire area.
I would caution you about deleting any of these items.

All the entries below can be disabled... and are not "essential" for the operation of the computer... please read the descriptions and you can decide.

AppleSyncNotifier......C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleSyncNotifier.exe
(Apple Mobile Device Service) process can be removed to free up resources without compromising system performance.
Apple Synchronization Notifier (AppleSyncNotifier.exe) is a part of the MobileMe software, background service installed when you install or upgrade to iTunes 7.7 or later, or when you install the Apple MobileMe software.
The Apple MobileMe service and software enables users of iPhone and iPod Touch devices to have their emails and calendars synchronized on every device and computer that they use, whether it be the home desktop, the laptop, or the work computer.
You do not need it unless you have an iPhone or an iTouch iPod but that did not stop Apple from including it as an Service for all iTunes users.

BD Agent......"C:\Program Files\BitDefender\Bitdefender 2009\bdagent.exe"
BitDefender Switch Agent. Startup background task whose role is to ensure that BitDefender continues to work properly and protect your PC when you have Windows XP and there are multiple users defined on your PC and Fast Switching is enabled (Fast Switching is the feature where you can switch to another user profile on your PC without first logging off the current user).
BDAgent.exe Recommendation : Down to end-user requirements. If you do not have Windows XP, then you can disable this program on the Startups tab. Ditto if you do have Windows XP but Fast Switching is not enabled or you are the only user defined on this PC. In any other scenario, leave this task enabled. Others say . If you disable it, you will not be able to see Virus alerts and Firewall questions.

BitDefender Antiphishing Helper......"C:\Program Files\BitDefender\Bitdefender 2009\IEShow.exe"
IEshow.exe is actually the Anti-Phishing toolbar from Internet Explorer. If you don't need it, you can remove it from the startup list.

GrooveMonitor......"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\GrooveMonitor.exe"
GrooveMonitor.exe is associated with Microsoft Office Enterprise 2007 and is part of the Grove 2007 application for business communication between small groups. If you are not using this application you can end it in task manager

HPBootOp......"C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Boot Optimizer\HPBootOp.exe" /run
HPBootOp is not necessary for startup. It is usually run infrequently and can be started manually if needed.

iTunesHelper......"C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
You have iTunesHelper.exe running at Startup. iTunesHelper.exe is a process belonging to Itunes MP3 streaming tool by Apple which allows you to play MP3's.
This process speeds up iTunes when it starts, and the program also monitors for connected iPod devices. This program is not required to start automatically as you can start it manually if you need it.

NvCplDaemon......RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
NvCpl.dll,NvStartup initializes the clock and memory settings on nVidia based graphics cards. Provides icon in Control Panel. Enable if you overclock your card. This program is not required to start automatically as you can start it manually if you need it.

RTHDCPL......RTHDCPL.EXE
rthdcpl.exe is a process belonging to the Realtek HD Audio Control Panel and is bundled alongside Realtek sound cards and audio hardware. Non-essential...

SunJavaUpdateSched......"C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jusched.exe"
It checks with Sun's Java updates site to see if newer Java versions are available. This program is not required to start automatically. You can do this manually by visiting http://java.sun.com or just run the Java Plug-In Control Panel.

Windows Desktop Search.lnk......C:\Program Files\Windows Desktop Search\WindowsSearch.exe
windowssearch.exe is a process associated with Windows Desktop Search Tray from Microsoft.\r It is used by the MSN Search Toolbar. This is a non-essential process.\r Disabling or enabling it is down to user preference.

MRUAmericaProuduserbar1.jpg
Admin/Teacher at Malware Removal University You too could train to help others.
Member of UNITE
I seek not to know all the answers...but to understand the questions - Kwai Chang Caine

#4 Guest_fuzzywuzzy6_*

Guest_fuzzywuzzy6_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 20 February 2009 - 02:03 PM

Is there any way to set the order for applications starting, or timing them so they don't freeze each other up? After I do a major system overhaul, I would like to do that. I suppose simply unpinning a lot of them from the start-up menu would help, but which ones?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users