Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do I change my monitor setting from analog to digital?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 honu1

honu1

• Members
  • 472 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 AM

Posted 08 February 2009 - 11:18 AM

My SyncMaster 731b LCD monitor of course did not come with a manual.
When I turn my computer on the upper left corner of the monitor displays analog.
I don't understand the difference between analog + digital, but with the federal switch to everything digital, I am concerned.
I am connected to the internet via cable.
Can someone please direct me in this?
Thank you
honu1
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SLIX

SLIX

• Members
  • 380 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 PM

Posted 08 February 2009 - 11:42 AM

Hi Honu1

The new breed of graphics adaptors usually have a digital output (DVI) whereas the older ones have an analog (VGA) output.
New monitors have input sockets for either DVI or VGA.
If your PC has a digital output then you can use the digital input on your monitor. However you will need a new monitor cable with the digital connectors at each end. If your graphics adaptor only has a VGA output then you will only be able to use your monitor in analogue mode.
Steve

#3 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,256 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 AM

Posted 08 February 2009 - 11:15 PM

lol federal switching everything to digital only refers to the cable/sattilite cables coming into the hose, not the cable between your computer and your monitor. you can run that analog as long as you want. But like slix said if the monitor has a DVI hookup, and ur video card has a DVI hookup all you need is the cable to go between the two, otherwise your stuck with VGA (analog)
Posted Image
Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: ASUS ATI 4890 and a Saphire 4890 in Crossfire, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 7 ultimate 64 bit.
Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte 4550, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: OCZ Fatal1ty 550 watt modular PSU, OS: Windows 7 Ultimate.
If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#4 dc3

dc3

Arachibutyrophobia

• Members
  • 17,740 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 AM

Posted 09 February 2009 - 02:25 AM

lol federal switching everything to digital only refers to the cable/sattilite cables coming into the hose, not the cable between your computer and your monitor.

Television broadcast will eventually switch from analog to digital, those receiving broadcast via antennas will need a digital to analog converter. Those using cable or satellite will not need the D to A converter.

Edited by dc3, 09 February 2009 - 02:26 AM.

I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.  Groucho Marx

#5 honu1

honu1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 472 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2009 - 08:50 AM

So, what's the main difference between digital+analog? I don't think my monitor is all that old, but don't know when it was manufactured,really.
From what I have been told, as my household's tvs are all hooked up via cable, there is nothing further we need to do when the switch does take place.
Is there a special reason I would need to get a digital cable hook up from my monitor to my pcu?

Thank you
honu1
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

#6 dc3

dc3

Arachibutyrophobia

• Members
  • 17,740 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 AM

Posted 09 February 2009 - 11:09 AM

You can read a good article on analog and digital signals here. This should answer your questions.
I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.  Groucho Marx

#7 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,256 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 AM

Posted 10 February 2009 - 02:13 AM

digital is better, but if you really dont do a lot of HD media or gaming then no theres no need to switch-unless you watch tv on your monitor. the digital switch is referting to tv not the computer cable between monitor and the computer.
Posted Image
Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: ASUS ATI 4890 and a Saphire 4890 in Crossfire, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 7 ultimate 64 bit.
Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte 4550, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: OCZ Fatal1ty 550 watt modular PSU, OS: Windows 7 Ultimate.
If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#8 Kenmc

Kenmc

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2013 - 11:40 AM

This how you change your Monitor from analog to digital.

All you have to do is go into "Device Manager" and right-click on your monitor under "Monitors", then click "Update driver software..." Then click "Browse my computer for driver software", and now click "Let me pick from a list...", Click "you monitor(Digital)" and then "next". You're done.

Ken

#9 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2013 - 12:49 PM

This how you change your Monitor from analog to digital.

All you have to do is go into "Device Manager" and right-click on your monitor under "Monitors", then click "Update driver software..." Then click "Browse my computer for driver software", and now click "Let me pick from a list...", Click "you monitor(Digital)" and then "next". You're done.

Ken

No, just no.

As posted above the Analog/digital refers to the input being used by the monitor.  Analog input is the VGA, digital is the DVI connector.  For a 17" monitor, it is not critical to have a "digital" connection as the resolution and size don't really take advantage of it.  When you get into 21" and above, then you can tell the difference....usually.  At 1920X1080 and above, the difference between VGA and DVI is pretty obvious, at least to my old eyes.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#10 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 752 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2013 - 11:35 PM

This happened to me also. my new graphics card had vga and dvi and hdmi. but my dvi was the dvi-d version  and not the analog compatible DVI-I version  it would not not support analog. via the dvi port. without the 4 analog pins around the wide pin.my primary monitor would take the analog vga or DvI-D. it is using the analog  vga cable. my secondary monitor also would take the vga or the dvi-d.  I had to get a $7 dvi-d cable for it. then i had to use the secondary monitor OSD (on-screen display) by pressing the menu buttons to browse.;.then i switched it from analog to digital and eureka , back in business with my dual screeens.

This link goes into more detail

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface

Win7 x64
Asus x58 ~ Intel Xeon W3550
16 GB Triple-Channel DDR3 RAM
750 watt PSU 80a @+12v
nVidia Quadro FX 5800

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users