Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Front headphone jack not working

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 swisss

swisss

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 AM

Posted 07 February 2009 - 06:59 PM

I have had this problem for as long as i can remember but it never really annoyed me enough to find a solution until recently. I have the HP Pavilion a1324n computer tower which has ports on the front in two different sections. There's a section 3 down (below my LightScribe DVD Writer/CD-Writer and DVD-ROM) and another section just below that which is in a slide down compartment. In the top one there are ports for a SmartMedia/xD, CompactFlash I/II, MMc / SD, Memory Stick / PRO, USB 2.0. In the bottom section there are ports for 2 more USB 2.0's, Headphone and mic, and a couple others I don't use. My USB ports and others haven't had any problems other than the headphone jack. When ever I try and plug headphones in I get no sound out of them, and my speakers don't mute either. As far as I can tell it can't even tell that I've plugged anything in. The speakers I have are the Microsoft digital sound system 80 which hooks up through a USB in the back of the tower. I'm not sure if you need anymore information but I tried to list as much as possible. Anyways, if anyone could help out with this it would be awesome.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R. I. T.S. (and proud of it)

• Global Moderator
  • 8,802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 PM

Posted 07 February 2009 - 10:39 PM

Have you tried unhooking the speakers BEFORE you plug in the headphones?
A long shot but worth a try.

#3 swisss

swisss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 AM

Posted 07 February 2009 - 10:48 PM

lol, I can't believe I didn't try that myself. Headphones work fine now, but is there anyway that I could keep the speakers in and just have it switch over for me once I plug in the headphones? If not I guess I could make due with this, either way, thanks for the help.

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R. I. T.S. (and proud of it)

• Global Moderator
  • 8,802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 PM

Posted 08 February 2009 - 12:10 AM

You could try hooking the speakers into one of the front USB ports.
Open up a music file, let it start playing.
With the speakers still plugged in, hook the headphones up, see if it over-rides the speakers.
I've never used USB speakers so once again this is a long shot worth a try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users