Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cloning my PC to External HD?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Eric RBA

Eric RBA

• Members
  • 252 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 PM

Posted 03 February 2009 - 09:04 PM

I would like to clone my Windows XP PC, laptop (and maybe a Vista laptop) to an external hard drive. It's 750GB, so there's plenty of room. I have a few questions:

1. Is it sensible to do this? (The PC is 300GB, laptops are both 120GB's)
2. Do I need to partition the external HD first, and what format do I make it? (NTFS, FAT32?)
3. How do I actually perform the clone, and is there a certain order I should do it in?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 42,904 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 PM

Posted 03 February 2009 - 09:33 PM

Hi :thumbsup:.

To begin with...you don't clone a system, you clone partitions. You can clone every partition in that system, but you do it a partition at a time (that's fairly safe).

And you can adjust the size of the partitions with some applications, with free space not being part of the cloned content.

There are lots of programs that allow for cloning of partitions/drives...you need to decide which one you want to use.

The destination is not required to be formatted...all that's required is that there be sufficient unallocated or free space so that the cloned partition can find a home on the drive.

There is no order that I have ever seen required...I select the partition I want cloned, then I select where I want it cloned to...press a button and it begins to happen.

I use Partition Magic 8 for such activities, but there are other programs available (some free) which also enable this activity. The best thing to do is to read up on a few before you try them.

NTFS should always generally be the file system of choice, IMO.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users