Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Pro not showing correct amount of ram

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 macsgang

macsgang

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 AM

Posted 31 January 2009 - 09:33 PM

I recently took delivery of a new computer with Vista Home installed. Didn't care for it and some of my old programs were not supported by it. I bought and installed XP Pro and I have 4 gigs of RAM yet the OS only shows 2.75 on the systems page. All the other computers I've owned always showed the correct amount including this one when the Vista was installed. Did I mess up something here? Can this be fixed to show the correct amount of RAM installed? Thanks.

Gregg

Edited by macsgang, 31 January 2009 - 09:35 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 31 January 2009 - 09:42 PM

Does that amount of RAM show up when it POSTs?

It might the the MoBo that isn't recognizing it properly.

Memory addressing in earlier versions of Windows may not show that amount, but can still use that memory. Make sure you have Service Pack 3 installed from Microsoft Windows Update. According to the list of fixes of SP3, it shows that the INI file for the Addressing.

Go to start, then click Run. In the field enter msinfo32 and it should pop up with info. The info should say around 4096 MB RAM. It clearly recognizes the amount.

Microsoft Support Article

#3 lowtek_otc

lowtek_otc

• Members
  • 280 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2009 - 09:46 PM

Couple things.

Is this x86 or x64? (32bit or 64 bit)

Bad ram usually will cause crashes etc but it is possible that it could just never enable and your computer is displaying -1GB.

If it is x86 then get this application:
http://www.cpuid.com/download/cpuz_149.zip
How much RAM does cpuz say you have?

#4 macsgang

macsgang
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2009 - 10:18 PM

Under My Computer - View system information it states 2.75 but when I look it up under msinfo32 it shows 4096MB RAM so I guess I am ok. The XP Pro installed is updated to SP3. I wonder why it doesn't show up correctly under My Computer. Every other OS I've had showed up correctly under My Computer. It's a 32 bit OS.

Edited by macsgang, 31 January 2009 - 10:19 PM.

#5 lowtek_otc

lowtek_otc

• Members
  • 280 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2009 - 10:34 PM

Yea, not sure about that, however SFC may help, it is a longshot but worth a try:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43051/how-to-use-sfcexe-to-repair-system-files/

I agree that you are probably allright if msinfo32 is displaying the correct info.

#6 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 31 January 2009 - 10:40 PM

I kindly disagree lowtek. Please do not do a SFC. Please follow the information in the Microsoft Support article. System File Checker will not work in this process. I have already had such an issue with a customer of mine, and they were able to resolve this issue. Thank you! :thumbsup:

#7 lowtek_otc

lowtek_otc

• Members
  • 280 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2009 - 10:40 PM

:thumbsup:

Edit:
I did say longshot.

Edited by lowtek_otc, 31 January 2009 - 10:42 PM.

#8 Platypus

Platypus

• 5,684 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2009 - 04:21 AM

32bit operating systems cannot utilise the full complement of 4GB physical memory. Since there is only 4GB maximum of address space available, how much of the physical memory can be given an address depends on how much address space must be reserved for system requirements, hardware devices that have memory and need an address space. Lightly equipped systems may leave 3.25 GB or a little more, but as systems come equipped with more devices and in particular large amounts of video memory, it's not unusual for there to be less than 3GB of address space remaining to map in physical RAM. Some OS releases dodge the issue by reporting the 4GB of physical memory and not mentioning how much less is accessible.
Pleased to have been a Microsoft MVP (Windows Desktop Experience) 2007/8, 2008/9

Great minds like a think.

#9 dc3

dc3

Arachibutyrophobia

• Members
  • 17,352 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2009 - 05:32 AM

Under My Computer - View system information it states 2.75 but when I look it up under msinfo32 it shows 4096MB RAM so I guess I am ok. The XP Pro installed is updated to SP3. I wonder why it doesn't show up correctly under My Computer. Every other OS I've had showed up correctly under My Computer. It's a 32 bit OS.

If you are looking at System Properties under My Computer you will see a smaller amount RAM than what you actually have installed as this shows the amount of available RAM while running applications, you can see the total of the physical memory under System Information. Start> Accessories> System Tools> System Information.
Please note:  A family emergency occurred on 08/18/2014.  Because of this my time here will be limited until our family member has recovered enough for me to get back to my normal daily routine.  I apologize to those of you who I had been helping, I will try to get back to you as quickly as I can.

#10 Glabrezu

Glabrezu

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 PM

Posted 05 June 2009 - 05:00 AM

my computer is doing the same thing, ive used the msinfo32 and the cpuz149 and they show the correct amount of memory i have installed
what id like to know is that when im playing a game will it use the full memory or just what xp shows?
i have 6gb total memory, but xp only shows 3.25gb, will only 3.25gb get used by the game or the full 6gb?
thanks for any info :thumbsup: though ill not be able to check replies for 2 weeks because ill be on holiday :D

#11 Glabrezu

Glabrezu

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 AM

Posted 05 June 2009 - 05:06 AM

my computer is doing the same thing, ive used the msinfo32 and the cpuz149 and they show the correct amount of memory i have installed
what id like to know is that when im playing a game how much memory will be used for it

(system info)
Total Physical Memory 6,144.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 2.52 GB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Page File Space 5.09 GB

thanks for any info :thumbsup: though ill not be able to check replies for 2 weeks because ill be on holiday :D

#12 Platypus

Platypus

• 5,684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 AM

Posted 05 June 2009 - 08:17 AM

what id like to know is that when im playing a game how much memory will be used for it

32-bit Windows makes 2GB of address space available to an application. So if a game requests allocation of all the memory available to it, 2GB of memory is being used for that game.

If an application has been compiled to be Large Address aware, and the /3GB switch is enabled in the BOOT.INI file, up to 3GB can be made available. But this isn't likely to be practical, as the extra 1GB is taken away from Windows own resources, which means it will be hugely cramped and prone to crashing from things like running out of handles (addresses used to keep track of objects) and lags from needing to use the paging file for system code.

64-bit Windows can allocate up to 4GB of address space to a 32-bit application running in the WOW64 (Windows on Windows64) subsystem, and will automatically recognize if an application is Large Address aware. So such a game, if it will run correctly on the 64-bit OS, could have up to 4GB used for it. And as a 64-bit OS can directly utilize more than 4GB (in your system, 6GB) the 4GB being used for the game could all be real memory, avoiding the severe performance hit caused by using the paging file.
Pleased to have been a Microsoft MVP (Windows Desktop Experience) 2007/8, 2008/9

#13 Glabrezu

Glabrezu

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2009 - 01:36 AM

ah feck, wasted money
thanks for the info, is there any work around for 32bit system? some progam maybe?
dont wanna have to get a 64 bit system for now
ive got xp x86 os
and thanks again

#14 Platypus

Platypus

• 5,684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 PM

Posted 20 June 2009 - 03:25 AM

It's just a limitation of 32bit I'm afraid - there simply isn't enough address space to go around. A 64bit OS is the solution.

Have you thought of experimenting with the 64bit version of the Windows 7 Release Candidate?

#15 Glabrezu

Glabrezu

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2009 - 02:55 PM

hey, sorry, i was gone for a while, thanks again for the reply
i had xp64 at one point, but it seemed to crash my computer, maybe ill try the windows 7, see how things go,
well thanks again, i need to go

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users