Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 and .NET Framework 3.5 Family Update (KB951847) x86

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 736 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 PM

Posted 31 January 2009 - 09:47 AM

Hi I tried twice today to download and install the following updates, Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 and .NET Framework 3.5 Family Update (KB951847) x86. it is a large update taking approx 30mins to download the 248MB package. Both times it got to the end of the download and the next I got was a message saying installation failed. At first I thought it was Comodo BoClean so turned it off the second time but got the same result anyway.
My PC is an AMD Athlon XP2400+, 1GB of RAM running on XP3 and updated via Automatic Updates "notify but do not install". I got a MSN email notification on IE8 RC1 and decided to check my Firewall connection to Microsoft Update, where I was told that the mentioned updates were available and decided to install them though not IE8 at this time.

For real time protection I use Comodo CIS, Comodo BoClean and SpywareBlaster. I switched off BoClean the second time and set CIS to installation mode both times. I cannot see anything else on my PC which could hinder the installation process. In my Add/Remove program list I have Microsoft .NET Framework versions 1.1,1.1 Hotfix, 2.0 Service Pack1, 3.0 Service Pack1, 3.5, Should I uninstall these before installing the latest version or should they all remain on my installed programs?. I would appreciate it if someone could offer some help here as I like to keep my PC up to date.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 43,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 PM

Posted 31 January 2009 - 12:16 PM

Hi :thumbsup:.

Well...let's start with the reason you have MS .NET installed on your system.

What applications/drivers do you use which require any version?

If you have no such applications...IMO it's not even necessary to install any version of MS .NET on a system. Doing so is a waste of time for those who don't have applications which demand MS .NET.

http://forums.techarena.in/customize-xp/866859.htm

Louis

#3 bluesjunior

bluesjunior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 736 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2009 - 12:53 PM

First of all thanks for the reply Louis, I can't remember exactly what programs needed them. I have a vague suspicion that it was a football game series I have played in the past called called FM Manager. I didn't buy the newest version FM09 as they have gone to a 3D match display and my video card is below spec and I have no intention of getting a new one when it is perfectly adequate for all other applications.

I read through the link you gave but it is pretty inconclusive and as I don't think they slow my system down or anything I think I will just leave them for the moment. It is a pity that there isn't some sort of list of programs which need these to run, that would be so much easier than switching them all off and waiting to see what works and what doesn't.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

#4 bluesjunior

bluesjunior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 736 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2009 - 12:58 PM

Just read the other thread on this subject which reminded me that I also have an ATI Radeon 7500 graphics card which iirc needs the .NET framework to operate. I never just installed them it was always when I got notified that I needed them, but then as I like to keep my PC up to date program wise I always installed the newest version as they became available.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 43,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 PM

Posted 31 January 2009 - 01:11 PM

Yes, you need some version (I believe it's 2) of MS .NET to use ATI cards (I have a 7500 AIW and a 9600 AIW).

Whatever version it is, the ATI website tells you when you go to download drivers, etc.

When I have a system that isn't using nLite or ATI card/chipset...I uninstall MS .NET via Add/Remove Programs and the system runs fine without it.

Louis

#6 mister1763

mister1763

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 PM

Posted 05 February 2009 - 02:15 PM

I think bluejunior was on the right track by removing the current Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 bluejunior found in add/remove programs. I had the same problem with Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 and .NET Framework 3.5 Family Update (KB951847) x86 installing (on Windows XP OS).

I also noticed (through add/remove programs) that part of Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 was installed (about 28MB) in my previous attempts. I uninstalled this part that was installed, went back to windows updates and tried to install Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 and .NET Framework 3.5 Family Update (KB951847) x86 again. This time the update installed. Good Luck! :thumbsup:

#7 Jove

Jove

• Members
  • 2,721 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2009 - 09:45 AM

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 and .NET Framework 3.5 Family Update (KB951847) x86
Download size: 248.4 MB , 21 hours 27 minutes

Wait a minute I think I'm missing something, I seem to be always on the learn, but then again aren't we all, (The more you know, . .The more you don't know !), . . or something like that.

Can anyone tell me why this is a high priority update ?

I mean whats the high priority, . . from what I am reading, first I don't have Vista, I only have XP-SP3, and it seems, hamulus has the right take, . . this is needed for Game drivers or something, (sorry to be so vague, but I'm in the dark), but why is MS choosing this for everyone ?

How come it says 21 hours for the D/L, and blues junior says 30 min. ?

It would seem the man who is 50 billion dollars richer than all of us would have more interest and integrity, not to mention a conscience.I don't like being treated this way, a dog can expect better treatment!

When you don't have to worry about your computer anymore, you can start
living again !

vrwqzc.gif
Success is a result, not a goal. . . . Flaubert

#8 webrat

webrat

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2009 - 10:43 AM

I'm no expert but it seems to be a development package for various web technologies - SQL, AJAX, various app development tools and so on. I can't be certain but it mentions runtime(s) so I'm guessing it's at least partly responsible for interpreting code developed from those sources as well. The point seems to be 'delivering a seamless web experience across a wide range of platforms' (Insert your choice of marketing-speak) whilst allowing you to develop one as well. That's my take on it anyhow.

#9 Jove

Jove

• Members
  • 2,721 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2009 - 10:16 PM

Although that seems slightly understandable, I must say it is a bit out of my league at this time, but do appreciate your reply, so thank you!

When you don't have to worry about your computer anymore, you can start
living again !

vrwqzc.gif
Success is a result, not a goal. . . . Flaubert

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users