Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Loading PBR for Descriptor 2... done.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 hackeduser

hackeduser

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 PM

Posted 26 January 2009 - 09:43 PM

Good evening, all.

I have done a fair amount of searching on this topic and am at a loss. My PC is a DELL Dimension E310 desktop. I was removing some unneeded programs using the add/remove programs utility and the computer needed to restart. Upon restarting, the DELL screen came up, followed by a black screen with a blue band that says "www.dell.com." Below this, there is a line that says, "Loading PBR for descriptor 2... done." Below this there is a line that says, "A disk read error occurred," and below this, there is a line that says, "Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart." Upon doing so, the computer goes back to the 1st Dell screen, then back to the last screen mentioned.

Can someone please help me get through this so I can at least recover the files that are one the hard drive? I am afraid to take any of the advice on various forums and websites because I have a lot of files that have not been backed up. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 I.T. Works

I.T. Works

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2009 - 11:28 PM

I've seen things like this happen when a hard drive goes bad. You need to pull the hard drive out of the computer and hook it to another working machine as a slave drive. Check your jumper on the hard drive. If you can get the computer to boot up while your hard drive is connected, you can use it to search through your files and copy the documents you need to another device. You could also go into your BIOS from that Dell screen and make sure your computer is recognizing the hard drive. That's half the battle.
-Nelson

#3 dc3

dc3

Arachibutyrophobia

• Members
  • 15,058 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 PM

Posted 27 January 2009 - 01:31 AM

It's having trouble finding the Master Boot Record, if you have the installation CD try using the Recovery Console to run fixmbr.

Note: You may need to change the boot order in the BIOS so that the CD-ROM is the first device in the boot order to be able to boot from the Windows installation disk.

To run the Recovery Console from the Windows XP startup disks or the Windows XP CD-ROM, follow these steps:

1. Insert the Windows XP startup disk into the floppy disk drive, or insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive, and then restart the computer.

Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD-ROM drive if you are prompted.

2. When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.

3. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you must access from the]Recovery Console.

4. When you are prompted, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.

5. At the command prompt, type fixmbr , and then press ENTER.

6. To exit the Recovery Console and restart the computer, type exit at the command prompt, and then press ENTER.

"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member." Groucho Marx

#4 hackeduser

hackeduser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2009 - 07:21 AM

Thank you both for your replies!

dc3:

If I run Recovery Console, will that wipe out my existing files and data on my computer. Again, I do not have backups of everything. There are some files that I must get off of the hard drive. I have read in several posts (elsewhere) that running Recovery Console may wipe everything out. Is this true?

I.T. Works:

I have gone into the BIOS and my computer does recognize the hard drive and is also set to boot from the hard drive.

I am just very hesitant to try something without fully knowing that my files will be safe...

Thank you!

#5 dc3

dc3

Arachibutyrophobia

• Members
  • 15,058 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 PM

Posted 27 January 2009 - 07:33 AM

The Recovery Console will not effect the data on your hard drive, we always try to use methods that won't effect your personal files. Only as a last resort will we suggest a procedure that will effect your files.

"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member." Groucho Marx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users