Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't find Local Settings file in Windows Explorer

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Robin Oram

Robin Oram

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 AM

Posted 25 January 2009 - 07:26 AM

Hi
Using Windows XP Home.
I am logged on as the administrator, as usual.
Recently, I can't find the "Local Settings" folder in its usual place, that is, in C:\Documents and Settings\my name\ (where I could always see it before now).
However, I can find it by using Search in Windows Explorer, and can then open the folder, and sub-folders and files from there.
Can anyone explain why the folder doesn't show in the normal Explorer view, and how I can get it back?
Thank you
Robin Oram
25/01/2009

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 22,928 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 PM

Posted 25 January 2009 - 03:43 PM

Maybe the folder was accidentally moved. When you search for the folder using Explorer's Search function what path does it give?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 E-werd

E-werd

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 AM

Posted 25 January 2009 - 07:30 PM

Are you sure that you have "Show hidden files and folders" enabled?

Open Explorer, go Tools > Folder Options.... Select the View tab. Select the radio button that says Show hidden files, folders, and drives. Select Apply and then select OK.

If it really is not there, it sounds like it got deleted somehow. As Budapest mentioned, what is the direct path? It may be finding Local Settings elsewhere, like in another user account.

In an attempt to bring it back, try going to a website like www.interfacelift.com and select a background picture. Right-click it, select Set as desktop background. Your background will change, and the Local Settings folder should be recreated. If I remember correctly, Internet Explorer Wallpaper is stored in C:\Documents and Settings\useraccount\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\. If it Local Settings shows up now, that means that it was deleted.

Edited by E-werd, 25 January 2009 - 07:30 PM.

#4 Robin Oram

Robin Oram
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 AM

Posted 26 January 2009 - 09:19 AM

Thanks to Budapest and E-werd for replies. In answer:-

The paths shown when searching for Local Settings are
1) C:\WINDOWS
2) C:\Documents and settings\Administrator
3) as for 2) but \Default User
4) as for 2) but \Default User.Windows32
5) as for 2) but \Guest
6) as for 2) but \username
7) C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\config\system profile
(as well as in the I E cache opened as in the next paragraph, referring to these posts.)

In all of the above, I can find History and Temporary Internet Files folders but ONLY in no 6) above can I open those folders and can see actual files listed, and they appear to be complete.

Yes, in the Files View options I have the "show hidden files" options checked.

I tried the new desktop installation work-around but this had no effect. However I can see it in the Temp I E Files folder opened as just noted, so it's there all right!

Apparently my Local Settings folder has not been deleted but I still can't get it to show up in the Folders list in Documents and Settings. Any more ideas will be welcome.

Robin Oram

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 42,205 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 AM

Posted 26 January 2009 - 11:20 AM

Worth looking at, IMO: http://www.allpostnews.co.uk/i5/How%20to%2...gs%20folder.php

Why not simply run the sfc /scannow command?

LEARN how to use SFC.EXE (system file checker) in this article! - http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html

If you have system files missing which are normally viewable to the user...you just might have system files missing which are not normally as high-profile.

Have you checked Event Viewer for possible clues?

How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

Have you tried running chkdsk /r?

And, of course, the hard drive should be a logical suspect until eliminated. I tend to try the easy, obvious stuff first when searching for answers to apparent "mysteries".

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users