Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista keeps crashing

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 KELLEA

KELLEA

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 AM

Posted 23 January 2009 - 09:06 PM

I sure hope someone can help me.

I bought a laptop August 08 and I have not had a problem at all until this week. For the last week I have had 5 blue screens and then the computer shuts down. Everytime that it happened I was online. I was running Firefox at the time and not IE (I do have both on my computer).

I have Windows Vista home premium, service pack 1. All my updates are current as well. I did run a windows debuging program and it came back saying that a file "o2sd.sys", may have been the reason for the BOSD. I really need some assistance...this is driving me nuts!!!

I have run spybot and one care security from windows....and both come back saying my computer is clean. I know that there is something on it...my desktop has gone black ( my personalized desktop just disappeared and it took several tries to get it back), my home page in IE was switched from google.com to a blank address. And the computer has been really slow...I tried to shut it down the other day and it would not shut down...and sometimes it will not come back from hibernation. I have already run the DDS program and have saved the logs....so if you need them to determine anything let me know and I will post them where needed.

Thank you again for any help that anyone can provide to me

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 62,060 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2009 - 09:54 PM

Hi and welcome. Let's give 2 more scans a shot and see if we can find something here.

Before we start fixing anything you should print out these instructions or copy them to a NotePad file so they will be accessible. Some steps will require you to disconnect from the Internet or use Safe Mode and you will not have access to this page.

Please download DrWeb-CureIt and save it to your desktop. DO NOT perform a scan yet.

Reboot your computer in "Safe Mode" using the F8 method. To do this, restart your computer and after hearing your computer beep once during startup (but before the Windows icon appears) press the F8 key repeatedly. A menu will appear with several options. Use the arrow keys to navigate and select the option to run Windows in "Safe Mode".

Scan with Dr.Web CureIt as follows:
  • Double-click on launch.exe to open the program and click Start. (There is no need to update if you just downloaded the most current version
  • Read the Virus check by DrWeb scanner prompt and click Ok where asked to Start scan now? Allow the setup.exe to load if asked by any of your security programs.
  • The Express scan will automatically begin.
    (This is a short scan of files currently running in memory, boot sectors, and targeted folders).
  • If prompted to dowload the Full version Free Trial, ignore and click the X to close the window.
  • If an infected object is found, you will be prompted to move anything that cannot be cured. Click Yes to All.
  • When complete, click Select All, then choose Cure > Move incurable.
    (This will move any detected files to the C:\Documents and Settings\userprofile\DoctorWeb\Quarantine folder if they can't be cured)
  • Now put a check next to Complete scan to scan all local disks and removable media.
  • In the top menu, click Settings > Change settings, and UNcheck "Heuristic analysis" under the "Scanning" tab, then click Ok.
  • Back at the main window, click the green arrow "Start Scanning" button on the right under the Dr.Web logo.
  • When the scan is complete, a message will be displayed at the bottom indicating if any viruses were found.
  • Click "Yes to all" if asked to cure or move the file(s) and select "Move incurable".
  • In the top menu, click file and choose save report list.
  • Save the DrWeb.csv report to your desktop.
  • Exit Dr.Web Cureit when done.
  • Important! Reboot your computer because it could be possible that files in use will be moved/deleted during reboot.
  • After reboot, post the contents of the log from Dr.Web in your next reply. (You can use Notepad to open the DrWeb.cvs report)

Next run ATF then an MBAM scan.
ATF
Please download ATF Cleaner by Atribune & save it to your desktop.
  • Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
  • Under Main "Select Files to Delete" choose: Select All.
  • Click the Empty Selected button.
  • If you use Firefox browser click Firefox at the top and choose: Select All
    If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
  • If you use Opera browser click Opera at the top and choose: Select All
    If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
  • Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.
Note: On Vista, "Windows Temp" is disabled. To empty "Windows Temp" ATF-Cleaner must be "Run as an Administrator".

MBAM
Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (v1.32) and save it to your desktop.
alternate download link 1
alternate download link 2
If you have a previous version of MBAM, remove it via Add/Remove Programs and download a fresh copy.
  • Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
  • Double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
  • When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
  • When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Then click Finish.
MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan.
  • If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself.
  • Press the OK button to close that box and continue.
  • If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install. Alternatively, you can update through MBAM's interface from a clean computer, copy the definitions (rules.ref) located in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from that system to a usb stick or CD and then copy it to the infected machine.
On the Scanner tab:
  • Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
  • Then click on the Scan button.
  • If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
  • The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
  • When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
  • Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
Back at the main Scanner screen:
  • Click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply and exit MBAM.
Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you may be asked to reboot your computer so it can proceed with the disinfection process. Regardless if prompted to restart the computer or not, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware. MBAM may "make changes to your registry" as part of its disinfection routine. If using other security programs that detect registry changes (ie Spybot's Teatimer), they may interfere or alert you after scanning with MBAM. Please temporarily disable such programs or permit them to allow the changes.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?
Staying Updated Calendar of Updates.
For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook Have you seen..Select Real Security

#3 KELLEA

KELLEA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2009 - 11:39 AM

I have run the drweb scan and when I try to download the atf cleaner.....the link is showing as a trojan virus....I went direct to the main website for it and got hte same warning. Is there something else to use?

#4 KELLEA

KELLEA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2009 - 04:11 PM

Here is the results from my drweb scan....this is the second scan. I had to re scan it because I for got to unclick the Heuristic analysis under the scanning tab.
I still have that if you wish to see it. I also ran the Malwarebytes scan twice here is the results from the second scan. I was not able to run the AFT because the link is showing a trogan virus.

RegUBP2b-kellea.reg;C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Snapshots2;Trojan.StartPage.1505;Deleted.;
OilPriceMonitor.gadge0.~0000\script\Utility.js;C:\Documents and Settings\kellea\DoctorWeb\Quarantine\OilPriceMonitor.gadge0.~0000;Modification of VBS.Generic.11;;
OilPriceMonitor.gadge0.~0000;C:\Documents and Settings\kellea\DoctorWeb\Quarantine;Archive contains infected objects;Moved.;
Utility0.js;C:\Documents and Settings\kellea\DoctorWeb\Quarantine;Modification of VBS.Generic.11;Moved.;

Malwarebytes results

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.33
Database version: 1689
Windows 6.0.6001 Service Pack 1

24/01/2009 5:09:24 PM
mbam-log-2009-01-24 (17-09-24).txt

Scan type: Quick Scan
Objects scanned: 50770
Time elapsed: 8 minute(s), 37 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

I have the 1st set of scans saved on my desktop if you need them.
Hope to hear from you soon
Kellea

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 62,060 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2009 - 08:16 PM

Are you still crashing??
For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....

#6 KELLEA

KELLEA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2009 - 08:58 PM

I have not had a crash yet today.....thank you so much for your help. The scanners that you got me to run pick up a lot more then than the ones that I normally use. In the first scan it did find a virus and a couple of other things that were suspicious, and when I ran them the second time it found another one, so now that the scans came back clean I am hoping that they were the culprits...I will message you again if it happens again....

again thank you very much for your help.

#7 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 62,060 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2009 - 09:17 PM

You're very welcome. Well I didn't see what MBam got but from DrWeb it is likley the culprit. Do you use a flash drive with this PC ? If so it is also infected and we need to clean it or it will start all over and infect any other PC it contacts. Did you notice any Vundo infection?

If all is well and there are no more signs of infection ....

Now you should Create a New Restore Point to prevent possible reinfection from an old one. Some of the malware you picked up could have been saved in System Restore. Since this is a protected directory your tools cannot access to delete these files, they sometimes can reinfect your system if you accidentally use an old restore point. Setting a new restore point AFTER cleaning your system will help prevent this and enable your computer to "roll-back" to a clean working state.

The easiest and safest way to do this is:
  • Go to Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools and click "System Restore".
  • Choose the radio button marked "Create a Restore Point" on the first screen then click "Next". Give the R.P. a name, then click "Create". The new point will be stamped with the current date and time. Keep a log of this so you can find it easily should you need to use System Restore.
  • Then use Disk Cleanup to remove all but the most recently created Restore Point.
  • Go to Start > Run and type: Cleanmgr
  • Click "Ok"
  • Disk Cleanup will scan your files for several minutes, then open.
  • Click the "More Options" Tab.
  • Click the "Clean up" button under System Restore.
  • Click Ok. You will be prompted with "Are you sure you want to delete all but the most recent restore point?"
  • Click Yes, then click Ok.
  • Click Yes again when prompted with "Are you sure you want to perform these actions?"
  • Disk Cleanup will remove the files and close automatically.
Vista Users can refer to these links: Create a New Restore Point and Disk Cleanup.

#8 KELLEA

KELLEA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2009 - 08:53 PM

I have found that I now have the virus that was attached to aft stuck on my computer.....it is trojan win32:vburses.n.......I can not seem to get rid of it. I do use my flash drives I will have to check them out to

#9 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 62,060 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2009 - 10:53 PM

EDIT: I have done some research, I also mentioned this to the heads of our malware team. they believe this to be a false positive. They tested our ATF link. it was clean. Then got a second opinion by sending the file to Virus Total ( a multi engine file scanner). Here are the results http://www.virustotal.com/analisis/bb0b109...109922f512ed8fe
Look s like a false positive

Edited by boopme, 29 January 2009 - 08:31 PM.

#10 KELLEA

KELLEA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2009 - 03:23 PM

I am glad to see that it was a false positive then. My computer is working great. and I have followed all the steps you gave me. I thank you so much for all the help you gave me, it is very appreciated

#11 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 62,060 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2009 - 08:32 PM

You're Welcome and glad it's better.

Now you should Create a New Restore Point to prevent possible reinfection from an old one. Some of the malware you picked up could have been saved in System Restore. Since this is a protected directory your tools cannot access to delete these files, they sometimes can reinfect your system if you accidentally use an old restore point. Setting a new restore point AFTER cleaning your system will help prevent this and enable your computer to "roll-back" to a clean working state.

The easiest and safest way to do this is:
  • Go to Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools and click "System Restore".
  • Choose the radio button marked "Create a Restore Point" on the first screen then click "Next". Give the R.P. a name, then click "Create". The new point will be stamped with the current date and time. Keep a log of this so you can find it easily should you need to use System Restore.
  • Then use Disk Cleanup to remove all but the most recently created Restore Point.
  • Go to Start > Run and type: Cleanmgr
  • Click "Ok"
  • Disk Cleanup will scan your files for several minutes, then open.
  • Click the "More Options" Tab.
  • Click the "Clean up" button under System Restore.
  • Click Ok. You will be prompted with "Are you sure you want to delete all but the most recent restore point?"
  • Click Yes, then click Ok.
  • Click Yes again when prompted with "Are you sure you want to perform these actions?"
  • Disk Cleanup will remove the files and close automatically.
Vista Users can refer to these links: Create a New Restore Point and Disk Cleanup.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users