Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Inspiron 2500 Internal HD Password

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 PapaSmurf88

PapaSmurf88

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 AM

Posted 25 May 2005 - 01:32 PM

Hey guys I just bought a Dell Inspiron 2500 on Ebay. When I got the laptop it had a Password on the Internal Hard Drive. I can access the BIOS but it wont let me change the password with out the old one. I tried getting a hold of the guy who sold me the Laptop to get the old password, and he still hasn't responded to me. So Im begaining to thing that he screwed me. Does anyone know of a program that can reset this password. Its a hard wired password kind of like a bios password only i cant short out the jumper. I know that Dell sells a Password reset device that you can buy if your a A+ certified Tech for about $60. But as of right now I dont really want to spend the $60 for something Im only gonna use once. Does anyone know of anything that I could try. Thanks for all your help in advance.

Papa Smurf
My Specs:

Albatron PX915P4C Pro
Intel P4 3.0 Ghz Processor w/ HT technology
2x 512MB PC3200 Memory
120 GB Western Digital IDE HD
SAPPHIRE X550 256Mb Video Card

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MalikTous

MalikTous

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 PM

Posted 26 May 2005 - 06:58 PM

If you can't force a reset of the BIOS and make it scrap the HD partition table so you can re-install an OS, you've got a fancy paperweight... Have you checked around with all your local PC service and assembly shops to find out iof any of them have that reset gimmick already and would be willing to goose your laptop for you? Also, did you get an OS CD and driver disk with it?
'Open the @^!&&!#& hatch, Hal!'

'I'm sorry, Dave, I can't do that...'

#3 splackavellie

splackavellie

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 AM

Posted 27 May 2005 - 09:31 PM

i think if you can prove ownership then dell can give you like a master password or something...but i dont know how that would work since you got it from ebay...

you can also check their forums for more info...
http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/bo...rd.id=insp_bios

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users