Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to get rid of desktop icons W/O deleting

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 antischmuck

antischmuck

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 PM

Posted 21 January 2009 - 11:22 AM

My pc is running really slow and having done many tests for Malware can't find any problem, my desktop is jam packed with icons for everything in the world. I can get rid of some but there are a number that hitting delete ,only gives me the option of deleting everything and sending it to Recycle. I just want to get rid of the icons and not delete until I know what they are about. I have tried running Spybot but while it is shown to exist in Task manager as running and appears as an icon ,it doesn't appear anywhere at all. I have run chkedsk/f also defragged but nothing appears to clear my problem,somethings take ages to load

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 funnytim

funnytim

• Members
  • 624 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 PM

Posted 10 February 2009 - 09:57 PM

I can get rid of some but there are a number that hitting delete ,only gives me the option of deleting everything and sending it to Recycle. I just want to get rid of the icons and not delete until I know what they are about.

You could move (ie. cut and paste) the icons to a temporary folder in your my documents until you're sure you don't need it.

#3 Flaxtelios

Flaxtelios

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 PM

Posted 11 February 2009 - 12:32 AM

If you're willing to spend some money, you could purchase a usb drive for (10-12 dollars canadian
You'll have to convert the currency yourself XD) and get a 2gb drive to store all the icons on
if you wish to keep it completely off your computer. This is of course working with funnytim's idea except
putting it into a usb drive.
Hey I'm Kyle, It's an honour to be in your presence.... hey wait that's your line. :o
Sometimes the Hardest thing and the Right thing are the same.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users