Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do I find email accounts

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 melodymiss

melodymiss

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 AM

Posted 24 May 2005 - 10:45 AM

Hello all from a newbie!

I hoped someone could tell me how I can find email accounts on my computer. Would windows have these or a file on my hard disk under my ISP? I was told last year how to look for these but I can't remember now. Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2005 - 08:08 PM

What email program are you using?

If it is Outlook or Outlook Express (most probable), open it, then click on the word "tools" at the top of your screen, then click on "accounts" and it will open a box that shows you what accounts are installed.

The chances are that you want to install an account for you to use. If that's the case, call your ISP and they should walk you through the setup procedure.

#3 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 PM

Posted 24 May 2005 - 09:30 PM

There are two types of email - if you have an account with Hotmail or Gmail, etc. you just use your web browser to go to the site and then log in using your email address and password. If you use (real) email the messages are held on a server at your ISP and you need to download them using an email client like Outlook Express or Mozilla Thunderbird, etc. To do that you need to set up your email account details in the client just as Enthusiast was saying.
If you are just borrowing the computer you don't want to set up the email client (for security reasons and because you might mess up their email). Use the web browser to visit you ISP's home page and there should be an option there to view your email over the internet, often called webmail. You have to provide account name and password so its still private.

hth :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#4 melodymiss

melodymiss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2005 - 03:19 AM

Thanks rimmer and enthusiast for the reply :thumbsup: I used to have an AOL account (for my sins) and if I went into 'my computer' and 'c drive', I right clicked on the AOL icon (i think) and somehow went in from there to view all the email accounts I had on my computer. I remember these accounts included both Outlook Express accounts and any other online email accounts such as yahoo and fsmail. I have tried to click on the ISP icon I have now, but I can't get anywhere and I was wondering if anyone else knew how to go about getting this information from the computer. This is the message I should have posted first as it makes a bit more sense! :flowers: Thanks again guys.

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2005 - 07:33 AM

The AOL email info which is stored on your computer should be accessable (and transferable), but never having AOL I don't know exactly how.

#6 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2005 - 03:18 PM

Other ISPS may not work the same as AOL. If you are talking about another ISP, my best advice is to go to it's home page, and look for "Email help." Most will have instructions on recovering your passwords and addresses; if push comes to shove, you can probably find a phone number and attempt to have them find them for you.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#7 melodymiss

melodymiss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2005 - 06:55 PM

Thanks all for the replies which I read through. I couldn't get the info I needed from your advice but I do appreciate the time you took to reply to me.

I decided to try doing a search on 'email', looking in all files including hidden files and folders and guess what?! I found them, lots of email addresses I didn't know we had lol. I have been getting viruses on the comp and I knew that I was careful enough not to open email attachments but my teenagers.....that's another story! Just need to get the detective hat on now hmmm!

Thank you very much for all your help. :thumbsup:

#8 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 PM

Posted 25 May 2005 - 07:54 PM

Congratulations for fixing your problem, and thanks for letting us know! :thumbsup:

From what you've said you were not looking for email accounts (which are email addresses that you own and control), you were looking for the email addresses of other people who have sent you messages. Windows stores these in the Address Book which is shared by Outlook Express but not by AOL. I think AOL kept them in a "buddies list" or something like that.

If you do have virus or malware problems with your system do post a new topic in the appropriate forum as there is expert help to be had here at BC.

Edited by Rimmer, 25 May 2005 - 07:56 PM.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users