Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to delete Right Media (found using Spybot)?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
16 replies to this topic

#1 Virus_Killer

Virus_Killer

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 PM

Posted 14 January 2009 - 06:54 AM

Hello!

I'm 13 years old, and I'm part of a special project in Israel called "Katom". The point is we learn with mobile computers.
After I got my laptop, my computers teacher told our class he'll check what kind of sites we surf, if we install games (installing games on the laptop is
prohibited) etc. Last week, I began to feel my computer is working too slow. And when a new computer is working slow, there must be a malware on it.

The first step I did was to install Spybot Search&Destroy. After an update, It began to scan. At the end, he found "Right Media". I fixed it, and closed the
window. Aftet I saw it comes back after every check, I downloaded Ad-Aware. Update, Scan, and 3 malware detections. I deleted them all.
Then I restarted, and ran Spybot again. Nothing was found! Well, it wasn't over yet. Today I began a regular check, and Spybot again found Right Media.

Meanwhile, Ad-Aware found "Possible Browser Hijack attempt". I clicked on the little "Plus" icon to get more information. Under the "Category" tab, it said-
URL=http://www.gamehouse.com. I really visited this site yesterday! My questions are:

- Is this URL really means I got the malware from gamehouse?
- Is it my Computers teacher who plants Right Media, and any other malware I found before?
- How can I make sure Right Media won't show-up anymore?

Thanks for anyone who'll help me :)

Edited by Virus_Killer, 14 January 2009 - 09:16 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 62,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 AM

Posted 14 January 2009 - 10:29 AM

Hello and welcome. I moved your post from the HiJack section to here as there was no HJT log attached.

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (v1.32) and save it to your desktop.
alternate download link 1
alternate download link 2
If you have a previous version of MBAM, remove it via Add/Remove Programs and download a fresh copy.
  • Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
  • Double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
  • When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
  • When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Then click Finish.
MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan.
  • If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself.
  • Press the OK button to close that box and continue.
  • If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install. Alternatively, you can update through MBAM's interface from a clean computer, copy the definitions (rules.ref) located in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from that system to a usb stick or CD and then copy it to the infected machine.
On the Scanner tab:
  • Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
  • Then click on the Scan button.
  • If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
  • The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
  • When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
  • Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
Back at the main Scanner screen:
  • Click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply and exit MBAM.
Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you may be asked to reboot your computer so it can proceed with the disinfection process. Regardless if prompted to restart the computer or not, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware. MBAM may "make changes to your registry" as part of its disinfection routine. If using other security programs that detect registry changes (ie Spybot's Teatimer), they may interfere or alert you after scanning with MBAM. Please temporarily disable such programs or permit them to allow the changes.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?
Staying Updated Calendar of Updates.
For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook Have you seen..Select Real Security

#3 Virus_Killer

Virus_Killer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2009 - 10:31 AM

I downloaded & installed. It found nothing. Should I post the log anyway?

Edited by Virus_Killer, 14 January 2009 - 10:33 AM.

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 62,371 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2009 - 11:06 AM

No, now run these to be sure it all gone.

Please download ATF Cleaner by Atribune & save it to your desktop.
  • Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
  • Under Main "Select Files to Delete" choose: Select All.
  • Click the Empty Selected button.
  • If you use Firefox browser click Firefox at the top and choose: Select All
    If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
  • If you use Opera browser click Opera at the top and choose: Select All
    If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
  • Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.
Note: On Vista, "Windows Temp" is disabled. To empty "Windows Temp" ATF-Cleaner must be "Run as an Administrator".

Download and scan with SUPERAntiSpyware Free for Home Users
  • Double-click SUPERAntiSpyware.exe and use the default settings for installation.
  • An icon will be created on your desktop. Double-click that icon to launch the program.
  • If asked to update the program definitions, click "Yes". If not, update the definitions before scanning by selecting "Check for Updates". (If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here. Double-click on the hyperlink for Download Installer and save SASDEFINITIONS.EXE to your desktop. Then double-click on SASDEFINITIONS.EXE to install the definitions.)
  • In the Main Menu, click the Preferences... button.
  • Click the Scanning Control tab.
  • Under Scanner Options make sure the following are checked (leave all others unchecked):
    • Close browsers before scanning.
    • Scan for tracking cookies.
    • Terminate memory threats before quarantining.
  • Click the "Close" button to leave the control center screen.
  • Back on the main screen, under "Scan for Harmful Software" click Scan your computer.
  • On the left, make sure you check C:\Fixed Drive.
  • On the right, under "Complete Scan", choose Perform Complete Scan.
  • Click "Next" to start the scan. Please be patient while it scans your computer.
  • After the scan is complete, a Scan Summary box will appear with potentially harmful items that were detected. Click "OK".
  • Make sure everything has a checkmark next to it and click "Next".
  • A notification will appear that "Quarantine and Removal is Complete". Click "OK" and then click the "Finish" button to return to the main menu.
  • If asked if you want to reboot, click "Yes".
  • To retrieve the removal information after reboot, launch SUPERAntispyware again.
    • Click Preferences, then click the Statistics/Logs tab.
    • Under Scanner Logs, double-click SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log.
    • If there are several logs, click the current dated log and press View log. A text file will open in your default text editor.
    • Please copy and paste the Scan Log results in your next reply.
  • Click Close to exit the program.

For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....

#5 Virus_Killer

Virus_Killer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2009 - 12:16 PM

I did all the steps, but it found nothing either. What should I do now?

I believe it will retun when I'll scan using Spybot.

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 62,371 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2009 - 12:38 PM

Ok, then run an ONline scan . It will show it if it's there. It may not remove it,but at least we will see if it exists.

Please do an online scan with Kaspersky WebScanner

Click on Kaspersky Online Scanner

You will be prompted to install an ActiveX component from Kaspersky, Click Yes.
  • The program will launch and then begin downloading the latest definition files:
  • Once the files have been downloaded click on NEXT
  • Now click on Scan Settings
  • In the scan settings make that the following are selected:
    • Scan using the following Anti-Virus database:
    Extended (if available otherwise Standard)
    • Scan Options:
    Scan Archives
    Scan Mail Bases
  • Click OK
  • Now under select a target to scan:Select My Computer
  • This will program will start and scan your system.
  • The scan will take a while so be patient and let it run.
  • Once the scan is complete it will display if your system has been infected.
    • Now click on the Save as Text button:
  • Save the file to your desktop.
  • Copy and paste that information in your next post.

#7 Virus_Killer

Virus_Killer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2009 - 01:23 PM

I am now running the scan. It took me an hour to download the updates! I will update when the scan is finished.

#8 Virus_Killer

Virus_Killer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2009 - 02:14 PM

I'm sorry, but I won't reply today anymore. A rocket fell near my house (I'm from Israel).

I just want everyone to know- not only Palestinians suffer. Antisemitism in Europe rises. You all think we kill children, while Israely children don't go to

school over 2 months!

#9 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 62,371 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2009 - 02:43 PM

OK when you can. God bless you and your family. I honestly don't think that at all. I'm American and the media portrays us poorly, believe me.

Edited by boopme, 14 January 2009 - 02:46 PM.

#10 Virus_Killer

Virus_Killer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2009 - 03:16 PM

Thanks for the support. I was a bit moody after that attack. Back to the infection- The online scan you sent me didn't find it.

I'll restart and scan using Spybot. If I'll found Right Media, I'll ask for help. If not- I'll let you know, and thank you.

#11 scff249

scff249

Indecisive Lurker

• Members
  • 1,319 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 AM

Posted 14 January 2009 - 03:37 PM

I did some digging with some of my Spybot logs since it seemed familiar.

Is what you're detecting saying that Right Media is a tracking cookie?

"Ototo'i wa usagi o mita no...Kino wa shika...Kyo wa anata." -Kotomi Ichinose (Clannad) [see below for translation]
"Day before yesterday I saw a rabbit, and yesterday a deer, and today, you." -The Dandelion Girl
"You are not alone, and you are not strange. You are you, and everyone has damage. Be the better person." -Katawa Shoujo

#12 Virus_Killer

Virus_Killer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2009 - 04:01 PM

Yes, it SAID. But thanks to Boopme's wonderful help, I won't have to meet it again. I re-checked the system, but Right Media wasn't in the list!

Thank you so much, Boopme!

#13 Virus_Killer

Virus_Killer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2009 - 10:49 AM

Boopme, HELP! "Right Media" was again found during a regular Spybos search. I think you should help me with more specific actions.

#14 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 62,371 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2009 - 11:38 AM

Hello again,looks like it is protected. Plesase follow these instructions for posting a HJT log.
Preparation Guide For Use Before Using Hijackthis

#15 scff249

scff249

Indecisive Lurker

• Members
  • 1,319 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 AM

Posted 15 January 2009 - 11:40 AM

Boopme,

Right Media is actually a tracking cookie to my understanding......

"Ototo'i wa usagi o mita no...Kino wa shika...Kyo wa anata." -Kotomi Ichinose (Clannad) [see below for translation]
"Day before yesterday I saw a rabbit, and yesterday a deer, and today, you." -The Dandelion Girl
"You are not alone, and you are not strange. You are you, and everyone has damage. Be the better person." -Katawa Shoujo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users