Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC reboots when USB device is plugged in

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 possumbarnes

possumbarnes

• Members
  • 315 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 AM

Posted 13 January 2009 - 06:26 PM

Customer brought me this computer with the following problem:
He got a new mp3 player and was using it on his computer. He cleared the IE cookies, history, etc. and rebooted his computer. It came up to a BSOD "An attempt was made to execute non-executable memory". He remembered his mp3 was still plugged in so he unplugged it and rebooted. Windows came up ok, but he could not get on the internet. Any time he plugs his mp3 player into the front USB port, the computer immediately reboots to that same BSOD unless he unplugs the mp3 player before Windows loads. He does have a USB printer that is connected to a rear port that works fine. He brought it to me to fix.

I am now banging my head against the wall.

As far as the USB device issue is concerned, I have plugged 3 different USB flash drives that work fine on my computer into every USB port he has (1 front and 4 rear). As soon as the flash drive is plugged all the way in, the screen goes black and the PC reboots. I have uninstalled all USB devices listed in the device manager and let Windows reinstall them on reboot. Did not help. I would like to update the drivers but I need to connect to the internet to do that. That is as far as I've gone with this issue.

All spyware and virus scans come up completely clean.
It is an eMachines T3418 running Windows XP Home SP2

Now that I think about it, I am going to boot it up on memtest386 CD and make sure one of the dimms didn't go bad. I'll post back with results. Otherwise, I am stumped. Help will be appreciated.
What's more irrational--a guy who believes in a God he cannot see or a guy who is offended by a God he doesn't believe in?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 42,465 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2009 - 07:08 PM

My understanding is that...sometimes having USB devices (other than a mouse/keyboard) and with USB boot enabled in the BIOS...the system will do what you describe.

IMO, the way to eliminate that is to ensure that your system BIOS is not set to boot from USB devices.

FWIW: I boot with my .mp3 player attached, but I don't have USB boot enabled in my BIOS.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 13 January 2009 - 07:09 PM.

#3 possumbarnes

possumbarnes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 315 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2009 - 08:19 PM

Took all options of booting from USB or removable device out of BIOS. No help. Memtest86 completed 4 full passes with no errors. System still rebooting immediately as soon as a flash drive is connected. I'm coming up blank for ideas about this. I thought maybe the power supply might be bad somehow, but a flash drive will draw, what, maybe 2 or 3 watts at most. The DVD drive will draw that much when it spins up.
I see nothing in BIOS settings that could cause it either.
What's more irrational--a guy who believes in a God he cannot see or a guy who is offended by a God he doesn't believe in?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 42,465 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2009 - 08:30 PM

Your USB ports may be bad...buy a PCI USB card (less than $10 and more reliable).

You could try removing the USB controllers...rebooting...and seeing if the ports work properly then.

One good USB port out of 4/6...isn't worth much effort beyond buying a USB 2.0 PCI card, IMO.

Louis

#5 possumbarnes

possumbarnes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 315 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2009 - 10:14 PM

Your USB ports may be bad...buy a PCI USB card (less than $10 and more reliable).

You could try removing the USB controllers...rebooting...and seeing if the ports work properly then.

How can the USB ports be bad if the printer he has connected to it works fine? The front USB port is a part of a media card reader. I took an SD camera card and put it in the reader and it reads it ok. Now, the media reader is all one unit and the cable for it connects to a USB header on the mobo. Doesn't that tell me the USB headers are ok. It only reboots when a flash drive is connected. Or, I just found out, an external hard drive that has an external power source.

Anything that is or acts like a memory storage device that connects via USB is causing a reboot with a BSOD error of "An attempt was made to execute non-executable memory."

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 42,465 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2009 - 11:07 PM

OK...I'm wrong, maybe someone else has a better suggestion.

Louis

#7 possumbarnes

possumbarnes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 315 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2009 - 11:32 PM

Louis, that is not the answer I'm looking for from you. I've seen you're name on lots of solved issues. I had my hopes up when I saw you answered so quick. I've googled this problem to death. I just can't come up with anything.

I still can't get him connected to the internet either. I can ping my router and all other computers on the network. Resetting winsock and the ip addresses did not help. SAS and MBAM come up completely clean in normal and safe mode. All internet settings are ok. His ipconfig /all looks exactly like my own computers ipconfig /all (except for the ip address of course). I've burned lspfix and winsockxpfix programs to a cd and ran them on it with no luck. Drivers are all ok. No firewall. Both this and the USB issue all started on the same night.
I can ping the network all day long but can't get out on the internet. Every url I type in, first (down on the IE status bar in the bottom left) IE says it is waiting on that site, then it switches over to waiting for some long www.google.something url, then flashes a quick url that looks like it says something about dnserror. After that, I get the same "can't be displayed" message. One odd thing is that sometimes, after the "can't be displayed" page comes up, the url address bar shows "http:///" (http with 3 slashes behind it instead of 2). I've come across that before but can't remember what I had to do to straighten it out.

Thanks for the attempted help though.

#8 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 AM

Posted 14 January 2009 - 01:17 AM

is it one of those cheap mp3s
i had simlar probloms with cheap mp3s
try a different mp3

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 42,465 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2009 - 11:50 AM

Well...I can only tell you what I would do on my own two systems if I had these situations.

You are talking about an onboard NIC and an onboard USB function. When onboard devices go astray, I just buy a PCI device and install it...and the problem always goes away.

My understanding is that a motherboard doesn't have to die at once...although it is a whole and CAN die at once...it seems more likely that one function will go at a time.

The simple way to check either of the two functions you've mentioned is to temporarily install a PCI NIC and/or a PCI USB 2.0 card...and see if applicable devices then function properly.

Because I always have these parts around (I save them from previous systems), that's the way I approach the loss of motherboard functions. If it turns out that the motherboard functions are not proven to be on the blink...then, I move on to other suspects.

Re internet connectivity...it seems that you've tried all typical resolutions that I know of...but they are all based on the premise that the hardware is OK. I like to prove/disprove that...before I move on to something else as a possible cause.

Louis

#10 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 PM

Posted 14 January 2009 - 11:52 AM

I did the same thing to one of my computers. I plugged in a bad hard drive and it killed my LAN connection. I'm figuring it's a 5 volt trace on the motherboard. I was going to look at it this weekend.
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#11 possumbarnes

possumbarnes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 315 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2009 - 06:39 PM

I don't have a USB pci card handy (sold it last week on an upgrade) but I put a new NIC card in, installed with no problems, but it did not resolve the issue. Firefox doesn't help either. I can see every computer on the network but cannot get out to the internet. IE keeps giving a status on the bottom of Res://ieframe.dll/dnserror.htm#

(I know this doesn't have anything to do with the original post. I'm going to open a new topic in the right forum and try to get the internet issue resolved)

But, since a USB printer works fine and the media card reader (which uses the USB header on the mobo) works fine, I just don't think the problem is hardware. I complete windows recovery would not fix this if it was hardware, and that's where I'm going with it if I can't get it straight after tomorrow.

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 42,465 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2009 - 09:19 PM

FWIW: http://pcsupport.about.com/od/findbyerrorm.../ieframedll.htm

Louis

#13 possumbarnes

possumbarnes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 315 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2009 - 10:02 PM

FWIW: http://pcsupport.about.com/od/findbyerrorm.../ieframedll.htm

I found that link this afternoon. Went thru the entire thing and no change. I'm gonna backup his files and try a complete system recovery on it and see what happens. That will at least prove to myself that it was NOT a hardware issue. I'll post the results when I get them. Might take a couple of days

#14 possumbarnes

possumbarnes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 315 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2009 - 10:51 AM

I used his recovery disc to do a system repair (not a full recovery, just a repair). It cleared both problems up. I was sure it would get him back on the internet, but I did NOT think the USB rebooting issue was a Windows problem. Thanks for the help and suggestions even though none of it worked.

#15 hamluis

hamluis

• 42,465 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2009 - 11:29 AM

Thanks for letting us know how you solved it, it will save others unnecessary frustration. Happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users