Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Why do people still use windows 95 98 and Me ?

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#31 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 930 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 AM

Posted 11 February 2009 - 07:28 AM

Welcome to BP Snowbears.

Oh for a modern computer with the stability of W98SE!

I think we are dreaming here.

Yes you have new system and put Win98SE on it.

You could always use Linux or MAC. I don't think anyone makes a virus checker for those because no one makes virus's for those systems. :thumbsup:

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#32 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 930 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2009 - 07:30 AM

Some people still use 3.11! :flowers:

Do they? How many users do you know of that do that? :thumbsup:

Keith

#33 Konstantin

Konstantin

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 PM

Posted 11 February 2009 - 11:02 AM

Some people still use 3.11! :flowers:

Do they? How many users do you know of that do that? :thumbsup:

Personally i do not know anybody, but I saw somewhere on the web people asking about how to do this or that on 3.11 not so far ago =)

#34 Janeil Harricharan

Janeil Harricharan

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 AM

Posted 11 February 2009 - 11:18 AM

I still use Windows 95 or 98, but merely for hobby or experimenting with old hardware. :thumbsup: And I still have an operable IBM PS/2 Model 60 with Windows 3.11.... XD

Edited by Janeil Harricharan, 11 February 2009 - 11:19 AM.

#35 Tweener

Tweener

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2009 - 11:34 AM

I have an HP Pavillion 6553 that I bought in 1999. I brought it up to about 2003 game standards by changing the hard drive, adding a second, putting in a DVDR / CDRW combo drive, maxing out the memory (256MB), adding a graphics card, installing a higher wattage power supply, a new sound card, and replacing the old 468 MHz on the 66 MHz FSB CPU with one that runs at 1.1 GHz on the jumper-selectable 100 MHz FSB. In short, all that's still stock is the motherboard and case. This was all done over a period of about 4 years, at a very minimal cost - much less than that of a new computer. I left 98SE on it as the OS because:

1) I have a separate XP computer.
2) 256 MB of memory isn't enough to run XP efficiently.
3) I have many programs that I can't run on XP; like a home publishing app that I have and many of my games.
4) My scanner has no XP drivers available, but works too good to just junk.

I networked the 98SE box with the XP box and can share files and a printer, so I can use the 98SE programs for creating projects and scans and import them with the XP box for printing or editing.

Edited by Tweener, 11 February 2009 - 11:35 AM.

There are 10 kinds of people, those that understand binary - and those that don't.

#36 Helio

Helio

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 AM

Posted 13 February 2009 - 02:04 PM

I still use Windows 95 or 98, but merely for hobby or experimenting with old hardware.

lol, that sounds like me. I run 98se on a virtual pc just for fun. It has all the latest compatible media players, browsers, etc and works great. Im not sure if thats "cheating" since the vm is actually running off of winxp.

I wanted to try 3.1 but I couldnt figure out how to get it loaded onto the virtual machine:)
Resistance is futile.

#37 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• BC Advisor
  • 2,304 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2009 - 07:48 PM

@Helio
Windows 3.1 runs on top of DOS. It's a PITA to install it on a real machine.
I have no clue how you would do it in VM.

I have an old box with Windows ME on it and it works fine...when I use it,
which is mostly never.
Posted Image
Posted ImageHOSTFix only works on XP,no longer maintained

#38 Uncle Jaque

Uncle Jaque

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2009 - 02:13 PM

Yesterday I got a notice pop-up that our AVG 7.5 (updated versions would not work on w98) had expired. When i booted up the old box in the cellar (backup for when the XP conks our or domestic management is using it) it said that 7.5 was no longer supported and I had to update. not an option for 98 though, so I'm online virtually naked without any AV and not feeling really comfortable about it.

Have searched around but can't find any free AV that will still work on w98se - could someone reccomend a decent one that is still updated regularly? AVG was pretty good, but it's gone - at least for us 98 users.

#39 MadDawg

MadDawg

• Members
  • 453 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2009 - 04:10 PM

I try to collect and run all the OSes I can easily install (in VirtualBox, of course :thumbsup: ), just for the fun of it. Once I build my new computer, I will actually start to put them to work.
A penguin broke my windows with a half-eaten apple!

#40 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,768 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2009 - 06:18 PM

Hi Uncle Jaque

You can use:

ClamWin

Avast (although it would be a bit heavy on an older machine I think)

There may be others.

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****
When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

#41 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 PM

Posted 30 June 2009 - 09:55 PM

Hi Uncle Jaque

You can use:

Avast (although it would be a bit heavy on an older machine I think)

There may be others.

nah avast is petty good
but when its updating virus defs in the back ground , it can slow the computer down but after its finshed updating it fine

#42 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 930 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2009 - 06:48 AM

Have searched around but can't find any free AV that will still work on w98se - could someone reccomend a decent one that is still updated regularly? AVG was pretty good, but it's gone - at least for us 98 users.

I didn't know that AVG had finally stopped support for 7.5. They threatened to do this last August when I was running AVG 7.5. Then in October they were carrying on support until more users changed to AVG 8.0 which obviously doesn't work on Win9x/ME. Then last February they carried on support again. After I had many problems with updates for AVG I decided to switch to Avast! Home Edition. I tried that for a few weeks but I didn't like the way it did things. I decided to try AntiVir Personal and I wasn't impressed with that either. Leurgy has pointed this out.

I now use ClamWin 0.95.2 which appears to work pretty good. Having advertised this fact on here there are some users that aren't impressed with it because they say it has not resisdence virus shield which I'm not bother about.

Now if you are not sure if your virus checker is working efficiently you can always make your own virus file using NotePad or download it Eicar Test File. Save your text file as virus.com or what ever name you want to give it providing it has a com extension. Then check this file for a virus. Don't worry it isn't actually a virus it just characters that simulate it for some reason.

Now when I was using McAfee 12 years ago they supplied this file info in one of their help files and told you how to make it an use it. The text is exactly the same it mustn't exceed 128 characters else it won't work. :thumbsup:

Keith

#43 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 01 July 2009 - 07:26 AM

:flowers:

The Eicar Link appears to be no longer functioning?

I found this one, else where.

http://www.rexswain.com/eicar.html

BTW as soon as I clicked on the DOS one, AVG Free8 went beserk. I did manage to download the Zip File. Also worthwhile is the third one, it tests for double Zipped Files. They were quite a wonderful thing in their day and still have a use today.

Interesting reading there for people that just want to check out their Anti Virus anyway. It is a Harmless Test File, that works on most Systems, just not sure about Vista, but it does work on XP and all those back downward.

:thumbsup:

Edited by Abacus 7, 01 July 2009 - 07:29 AM.

#44 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,159 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2009 - 08:39 AM

I now use ClamWin 0.95.2 which appears to work pretty good. Having advertised this fact on here there are some users that aren't impressed with it because they say it has not resisdence virus shield which I'm not bother about.

I have tested ClamWin, sorry to say it has very low detection rate. Its not advised to use it on a computer connected to internet.
Avast! is much better than ClamWin and Avira has best detection rate among the three.

#45 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 01 July 2009 - 09:16 AM

:thumbsup:

You could also check out this often under rated Program? It works fine with WIN98 and has a Tea Timer to protect your Registry. It actually tells you when something is trying to change your Registry and gives you the option to stop it, in most cases.

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/spybotsd/index.html

Couple it with a Good FireWall and you have good Protection.

Look for Online Scans to use as well, some are still compatible to WIN98.

Edit, Forgot the Link! :flowers:

Just Remember that WIN98 is no longer supported by many things, so you need to improvise, as keithuk is saying. He has been doing it for years.

:trumpet:

Edited by Abacus 7, 01 July 2009 - 09:24 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users