Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Why do people still use windows 95 98 and Me ?

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 PM

Posted 12 January 2009 - 05:25 PM

I don't run 9X, but I have a few customers that do. Some just run antiquated equipment and for what they do, WIN 9X is OK. More than a few have specific older equipment that has no drivers for XP, NT, 2K and Vista. I have one outfit that has a 30 thousand dollar piece of diagnostic equipment that is no longer supported, and a replacement is nearly 70K now and WIN 9X is the only OS that will work on it. Same for another customer with OS2.

Edited by dpunisher, 12 January 2009 - 05:26 PM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 936 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 AM

Posted 12 January 2009 - 06:39 PM

why and why, i dont get it, if you still use windows 95 98 or ME, please explain to me the reason?
thank you

1. You can still run older apps easily.
2. Easily installed.
3. You don't need any fancy Firewall.
4. You can have true DOS not cmd DOS.
5. You don't need any fancy virus checkers as 80% of virus's now are made for Win2k/XP/Vista.
6. You don't need constant daily updates for features they have cocked up.

Thats just of the top of my head without thinking. Need I go on?

I run both system and I know which I prefer Win 98SE. :thumbsup:

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

#3 funnytim

funnytim

• Members
  • 624 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 PM

Posted 12 January 2009 - 08:45 PM

Also, some people just need a computer for simple tasks such as word processing, internet, email, etc. For that they don't need a fancy computer. That's why a older computer, which can't run newer versions of Windows anyway, is suitable for them. Not only does it save them money, it also puts old stuff to good use.

Needless to say, the newer the OS the newer the hardware needs to be. Some people just prefer sticking with old OSes on their old computers, so the computer can be faster. Of course the consequence of that may be less features + older interface, but if that doesn't matter then 95, 98, ME is perfect for their older systems.

Just for interest, why? I have ME on a older system and I don't find it all that bad :flowers:

#4 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 PM

Posted 12 January 2009 - 11:19 PM

because its good lol
i got a vista laptop which is about 7x better hardware then my windows me and its just as fast as my laptop lol

#5 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 936 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2009 - 07:31 AM

I forgot to mension I have Win 95/ Win 98SE/Win ME/Win 2000 Pro/Win XP 2002 Pro but I still use Win 98SE. Strange how this forum doesn't allow Win 98SE with the space. :flowers:

Keith

#6 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2009 - 08:50 AM

In answer to the original question ;many of us perhaps run Win 98SE as personal choice
Keithuk

You don't need any fancy virus checkers as 80% of virus's now are made for Win2k/XP/Vista.

but you should not run a Win 98se computer without an active fully updated antivirus program with Real Time antivirus protection :thumbsup:

#7 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,447 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 PM

Posted 13 January 2009 - 12:30 PM

I dual boot 98 & XP but run 98 most of the time.
Why? It does everything I need it to do!
Newer doesnt mean better by any means!

Many of my customers are retired and on a fixed income.
All they want to do is to get on the Internet and check email most of the time.
They cant afford a new system every few years on Microsoft's whim. 98 works fine for them.

98 is really easy to fix. Its small ~1.4 gig as opposed to ~8.4 gig for Vista. It isnt a resource hog and is very stable.
I think its the best OS Microsoft ever made. They took what they learned in 95 and built on it.

Plus, I am getting OLD! I go all the way back to version 2.0A.
I really dont want to learn another version of Windows
In the beginning there was the command line.

#8 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 936 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2009 - 01:53 PM

but you should not run a Win 98se computer without an active fully updated antivirus program with Real Time antivirus protection :flowers:

I do use AVG Ruby, but thats becomming a pain in the a**e now a days. I didn't actually mean you don't need a antivirus program at all. I meant the newer versions that only run on WinNT systems have additional spyware and other features which you don't need. Thats is you have to correct software that can spot these changes and additional installs, which I've been using for years. :thumbsup:

Keith

#9 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:09:32 PM

Posted 13 January 2009 - 02:11 PM

Some have and only need the use of the older systems for what they work with as they don't surf or access the www at all?

Some still use only the elder DOS systems?
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#10 Laffnmule's Lode

Laffnmule's Lode

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 PM

Posted 16 January 2009 - 04:27 AM

The computer I use now is an older Dell with Windows ME, from my youngest sister. It is the most advanced computer in our household. My mother's computer runs on Windows 98, some of the programs she needs to run (and her scanner) will NOT work on newer systems.

The keyboard for the 486 died, I am not sure which OS it had.

I have never bought a computer. Now, I do not have enough money to buy one (I am unemployed, with an annual income of less than $2,000.00 total). I would like to have a new computer, but just can not afford one.

All of the computers I have ever had, have been loans or gifts, of castoff computers from relatives.
Laffnmule's Lode

eMachines EZ1601-01; Intel Atom processor N270, speed ?; 1 GB RAM DDR2; 160 GB HDD; Built-in Graphics; Linksys Wireless Router, DSL modem; Windows XP Home Edition with SP3; mostly Google Chrome 16.0.912.77m, also IE 8.0.6001.18702; Yahoo Mail; Microsoft Security Essentials

#11 skiplc

skiplc

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 PM

Posted 16 January 2009 - 01:06 PM

I've built and passed on ~160 computers ranging from 386's to Pentium 4 class machines in the last 15 years. Many of these naturally run DOS/Win3.x or 98/Me and all the old periperials that go with 'em.

9x machines still do plenty of work out there and adding some memory to help these run IE6, FF3, and other greedy apps keeps them plenty functional.

Currently running DOS/Win3.11 on an IBM 755C, 98se on an Itronix XC6250Pro, and building a dual boot Me/NT4.0 Server based on an overclocked Pentium 233; the last being the only "toy" in the house. My main machine boots 98se/W2k/XP Pro and I still spend about 20% of my time in 98se. Can't be expected to load XP or Vista on a 486 with 20Mb memory or a 6Gb HDD.

Problem I've noticed lately is finding common stuff like printers, scanners, cameras, etc. that ship with 9x drivers...just can't run down to the store and get this gear off the shelf when it's needed.

#12 Armand-79th

Armand-79th

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2009 - 04:26 PM

Occasionally I run Win98SE on an old P2-400 system so I can run my very old (DOS) games a lot easier..
Means I can use my ISA stuff, like my AWE32. :thumbsup:

Also, with the right kit and a well maintained install, Win98SE is both fast and stable. O_O
Where's the beer??

#13 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 936 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2009 - 08:44 PM

Occasionally I run Win98SE on an old P2-400 system so I can run my very old (DOS) games a lot easier..
Means I can use my ISA stuff, like my AWE32. :flowers:

Also, with the right kit and a well maintained install, Win98SE is both fast and stable. O_O

Thank you for confirming that Armand-79th. Win98SE is more stable than WinXP will ever be. Oh look we can now say Win98SE without a space, wonders will never seece. :thumbsup:

Keith

#14 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 PM

Posted 17 January 2009 - 03:57 AM

it would be good if windows 9x would support all new hard ware like dual core and quad core and all new graphics cards and stuff :thumbsup:

#15 GTK48

GTK48

• Members
  • 388 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 PM

Posted 17 January 2009 - 06:52 AM

Means I can use my ISA stuff, like my AWE32. :flowers:

Thank you for confirming that Armand-79th. Win98SE is more stable than WinXP will ever be. Oh look we can now say Win98SE without a space, wonders will never seece. :thumbsup:

He did not say that W98 was more stable as WinXp. I loved reinstalling Win98SE every month, I had it down to a science. I donated all of my Win98 cd's.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users