Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Registry Editing to Reset Default Homepage

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 DnDer

DnDer

• Members
  • 624 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 AM

Posted 12 January 2009 - 12:36 PM

I've been to some boards and got some advice, but it doesn't seem to take. My business bought a number of computers from HP, all of which redirect to the HP site as a default. Instead of doing them all by hand, for every user on every workstation (ie, 6 people rotate between six worstations, that's 36 times I have to get up and set their homepages after the computer is installed), I tried instituting group policy changes that didn't work: set the home page, disable home page changing, etc.

The next best solution would be just to have a simple reg file that would change the values, and go. But something about my code isn't taking. I created the remove values, then the add values, but when I re-open regedit... I don't detect any changes. Can someone have a look-see at my code?

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main]
"Default_Page_URL"=-

"Start Page"=-

"Default_Page_URL"="http://intranet"

"Start Page"="http://intranet"

What've I missed?

Oh, and here's the original value, in case anyone's seen or had to deal with it:
http:// ie.redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?TYPE=3&tp=iehome&locale=en_us&c=91&bd=all&pf=cmdt]http://ie.redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?TYPE=3&a...all&pf=cmdt

(I'm not sure which category this should have gone under... so, I dumped it here.)

Edited by DnDer, 12 January 2009 - 12:38 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 27,387 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 PM

Posted 12 January 2009 - 02:59 PM

What've I missed?

Telling us what OS this is.

(I'm not sure which category this should have gone under... so, I dumped it here.)

Telling us the answer to the OS would have helped get it in the right forum. So if you give us the OS, we will move this to the right forum.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown

Posted Image

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 DnDer

DnDer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 624 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 AM

Posted 12 January 2009 - 04:15 PM

XP Pro is the workstation, and we run Server 03.

Although, I thought this would be more a "Software: Active Directory" question, and didn't quite see a category that fit. In hindsight... Business applications?

Anyway, we did solve the problem. It required taking the script I wrote and putting it in "user config > administrative templates > system > logon > run these programs at user logon," as a .reg file. And I still don't get why that works, but applying the fix by running the regedit on the local computer didn't.

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 27,387 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 PM

Posted 12 January 2009 - 04:20 PM

Ah.... Yeah I see your point. This doesn't quite fit all neat in a 'specific forum'.

Thank you for sharing your fix, however. :thumbsup:

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown

Posted Image

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users