Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Missing e-mail folders in Thunderbird?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Venek

Venek

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 PM

Posted 04 January 2009 - 02:55 PM

If you're reading this thread, I figure you're probably experiencing the very alarming and inexplicable case of e-mail disappearing in your Thunderbird client. I've ran into this problem twice over the last couple of years and despite Mozilla's solutions for solving it, I've found a much better and foolproof way to fix it.

First of all, STAY CALM! Your e-mail messages still exist! They have not been deleted unless you actively did so, which you'd know if you did.

My solution might be a little bit of a hassle, but it'll work.

Of course, before doing anything, make sure the Thunderbird program is CLOSED.

1. Locate your Thunderbird profile which can be found in two ways:
a. Click "Start" and "Run" and type in %APPDATA%
For the following method, you will have to show Hidden Folders (Open a window, go to Tools>Folder Options>View Tab>Select "Show Hidden Folders/Files" radio button)
b. Open My Computer and follow this path: C:\Documents and Settings\Your name folder (user profile for XP)\Application Data>Thunderbird>Profiles

2. Now you should be in the Profiles folder within Thunderbird and you should see a folder that contains a gibberish name that ends with either default or whatever profile name you chose when creating your Thunderbird account, i.e. "iirdalpe.default"

3. MOVE that folder to your Desktop so that the profiles folder is empty.

4. Now open your Thunderbird, you will be prompted to enter in a new account like it was just installed. Do it as you normally would, complete all information as needed, but upon finishing up, uncheck the box asking if you want to check for new mail. (It'll ask you for your incoming/outgoing settings, etc.)

5. Once done, close Thunderbird and return to the Thunderbird profiles folder that was in Application Data. Voila, a new profile folder has been created!

6. Open that folder, and delete all the files contained within. Now open up the old profile folder that is on the desktop and copy/move all files contained within to the newly created one.

7. Open Thunderbird and all is right in the world again!
UberGeeks of the world...UNITE!

Uh guys? Wanna take your eyes off that screen for a second? Raise the mice? Battle cry?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zoebutt

zoebutt

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 PM

Posted 17 June 2009 - 01:08 PM

I like this in principle, however when I remove the default folder, and attempt to restart Tbird, I get an error saying that it is already running and to shut down all open accounts. Well, there are none and I cannot find any in the Task Manager. So, therefor, I'm still stuck.

Any ideas?

Ron

If you're reading this thread, I figure you're probably experiencing the very alarming and inexplicable case of e-mail disappearing in your Thunderbird client. I've ran into this problem twice over the last couple of years and despite Mozilla's solutions for solving it, I've found a much better and foolproof way to fix it.

First of all, STAY CALM! Your e-mail messages still exist! They have not been deleted unless you actively did so, which you'd know if you did.

My solution might be a little bit of a hassle, but it'll work.

Of course, before doing anything, make sure the Thunderbird program is CLOSED.

1. Locate your Thunderbird profile which can be found in two ways:
a. Click "Start" and "Run" and type in %APPDATA%
For the following method, you will have to show Hidden Folders (Open a window, go to Tools>Folder Options>View Tab>Select "Show Hidden Folders/Files" radio button)
b. Open My Computer and follow this path: C:\Documents and Settings\Your name folder (user profile for XP)\Application Data>Thunderbird>Profiles

2. Now you should be in the Profiles folder within Thunderbird and you should see a folder that contains a gibberish name that ends with either default or whatever profile name you chose when creating your Thunderbird account, i.e. "iirdalpe.default"

3. MOVE that folder to your Desktop so that the profiles folder is empty.

4. Now open your Thunderbird, you will be prompted to enter in a new account like it was just installed. Do it as you normally would, complete all information as needed, but upon finishing up, uncheck the box asking if you want to check for new mail. (It'll ask you for your incoming/outgoing settings, etc.)

5. Once done, close Thunderbird and return to the Thunderbird profiles folder that was in Application Data. Voila, a new profile folder has been created!

6. Open that folder, and delete all the files contained within. Now open up the old profile folder that is on the desktop and copy/move all files contained within to the newly created one.

7. Open Thunderbird and all is right in the world again!

#3 misfittoys03

misfittoys03

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 AM

Posted 11 September 2014 - 09:35 PM

I, too, had no luck using this method. Before you repost the instructions, as you did with Ron, I did follow your instructions but still did not end up with the results you achieved.

After removing the default folder from the profile folder, I attempted to open Thunderbird again and recieved a message stating my profile did not exist so I reinstalled Thunderbird. Thunderbird reinstalled successfuly. I attempted to use Thunderbird again and received the same message, profile could be found. I opened the profile folder, which was still empty and finally restored the previous folder and now Thunderbird works once again and I still am missing a folder.

Thanks anyway! It was worth a shot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users