Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Silverlight won't install...

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Dborns

Dborns

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 PM

Posted 30 December 2008 - 05:35 PM

I'm having a problem getting Microsoft Silverlight to install correctly. I have a desktop running vista that meets all of the specs to run Silverlight. I was trying to hook my xbox up to play netflix movies but it isn't working correctly. I've downloaded the Silverlight program and installed it on my computer. But when I go to Netflix and try to play an instant movie, it always goes back to the Silverlight install page. I've contacted Netflix and when they ran me through a test to see if Silverlight worked correctly, it didn't. I was told it was a Microsoft problem. Does anyone have any ideas?
Oh, and I am running Firefox 3.

Thanks in advance.
Dylan

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 triggerhappypappy

triggerhappypappy

• Members
  • 143 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 PM

Posted 28 January 2009 - 10:14 PM

I am having the same problem with win.XP..
If you find out anything please let me know! I will update if any resolution is found.
Apparently,this problem is not uncommon.
Freedom Is Not Free !! Pray For our Troops

#3 triggerhappypappy

triggerhappypappy

• Members
  • 143 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2009 - 10:22 PM

oops! sorry I didn't realize that you had it installed. I'm having a problem installing silverlight.
I get an "error reading initialization file" when trying to install silverlight.
(0x4B3 error in windows update)
If I find a solution for you I will still let you know,as I am searching for answers as well.

#4 Dborns

Dborns
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 PM

Posted 29 January 2009 - 08:51 AM

Hello
Thanks for the reply. I still haven't been able to install the program. I've contacted netflix and after a few tests they tell me its a microsoft problem. Microsoft charges for their customer service and its not that important to me. Anyway, I'll keep playing with it and re-post if I figure it out.

#5 triggerhappypappy

triggerhappypappy

• Members
  • 143 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2009 - 05:46 PM

I am currently waiting for microsoft to help me (no charge).If you had it installed or partially installed,There is a program that will delete any left overs so you can start fresh.(in case of a corrupt file)
Microsoft sent me a copy of this file.If you want it let me know.
Here is the email microsoft sent me. copy and past these links to your browser.They might help you!!

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Online Support Service. My name is Daniel, and I am glad to work with you. For your reference, the case ID for this service request is SRX1090929181ID. You can contact me by sending an email to [email protected] with the case ID in the subject line.

I would like to apologize for the delay in responding to your support request. Please be assured that you have successfully contacted the Microsoft support team and I will be working with you to address your concerns as quickly as possible.

From your description, I understand that we are unable to download and install Silverlight with error code 0x4B3 error through Windows Update. If there has been any misunderstanding, please let me know.

I understand the inconvenience you have experienced. Please be assured that I will do my best to help you.

After my deep research, I find that our issue may occur by the cause of the Sliverlight components are corrupted and we do not clean them completely.

Based on the current situation, I suggest we perform my suggestion to remove all the files of the silverlight and reinstall it to fix the issue. letís try the following tools to remove Silverlight. If these tools do not work, we need to remove the relevant system files and registry keys manually.

Check with Cleanup Utility:

================

1.Please download and install the Windows Installer Cleanup utility from this link:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/E/9...1BD/msicuu2.exe

Note: although it is released as a Microsoft Office update, it can be used to fix Windows Installer.

2. Then, please run it from "Start" then "All Programs" then "Windows Install Clean Up".

3. Please select Silverlight and click Remove if it is listed.

Before installing Microsoft Silverlight in Windows XP, please refer to the following link for detailed system requirements:

Microsoft Silverlight System Requirements

http://www.microsoft.com/silverlight/syste...quirements.aspx

After checking the system requirements, I suggest we perform the following steps to download and install Microsoft Silverlight.

=====================

1. Download Microsoft Silverlight from the following link:

http://www.microsoft.com/silverlight/install.aspx

Note: By clicking the "Install Now" button to start the download, please save the file "Silverlight.1.0.exe" on the Desktop.

2. Double click the downloaded file "Silverlight.1.0.exe" on the Desktop to install Microsoft Silverlight.

3. After completing the installation, we will se the message "Microsoft Silverlight has been installed on your computer" on the screen.

Please try the above steps and let me know the results at your earliest convenience. Is our issue resolved? If the issue persists, I need to collect some more information to help us to narrow down the cause of the issue and fix it. Please follow the steps below to collect the information.

Screenshot of the error message

=====================

1. When the error message appears, please press the Print Screen key (PrtScn) on your keyboard.

2. Click "Start", click "Run", type "mspaint", and click "OK".

3. In Paint, click Paste under the Edit Menu, click Save under the File menu, type a file name for the screenshot, choose JPEG as "Save as type", click "Desktop" on the left pane, and click Save.

4. Please find the screenshot on the Desktop and send it as an attachment to: [email protected]

Microsoft Silverlight log files

=====================

1. Click "Start", "Run", enter "%temp%" (without the quotation marks), and then click OK.

2. Locate the files SilverlightUIxxxx.txt and SilverlightMSIxxxx.txt in the opened folder.

3. Please send them to me at [email protected] for further research.

Note: When attaching files to emails, the process will vary depending on the email application being used. While you are composing the email, most applications will provide you with either an "Attach" button or Paper Clip Icon to click in order to attach a file. After clicking this button/icon you must browse to the file you wish to attach and select it by either double clicking it or clicking it once and then clicking on the "Attach" button.

If there are any questions or concerns, feel free to contact me. I am looking forward to your reply.

Best Regards,

Daniel Ye

[email protected]

Microsoft Customer Support Services

#6 triggerhappypappy

triggerhappypappy

• Members
  • 143 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2009 - 08:30 PM

Finally I found a solution!!! In case you are still looking! This worked for me. I hope it helps!! :thumbsup:

From your description, I understand we are failed to find the related registry key about silverlight. If there has been any misunderstanding, please let me know.

After my research, I find that our issue may occur by the cause that the installation files was unable to be extracted properly or there is some service conflicting with Silverlight Installation process.

Based on the current situation, I suggest we perform my suggestion to narrow down the cause of the issue and fix it.

Step 1: Clean Boot

=============

Let's disable all startup items and third party services when booting. This method will help us determine if this issue is caused by a loading program or service. Please perform the following steps:

1. Click "Start", go to "Run", and type "msconfig" (without the quotation marks) in the open box to start the System Configuration Utility.

2. Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray).

3. Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK".

4. Click "OK" to restart your computer to Selective Startup environment.

5. When the "System Configuration Utility" window appears, please check the "Don't show this message or launch the System Configuration Utility when Windows starts" box and click OK.

6. Check whether or not the issue still appears in this environment.

Note: Temporarily disabling the Startup Group only prevents the startup programs from loading at startup. This shouldn't affect the system or other programs. We may still manually run these programs later.

Then please refer the following steps to install it again.

Step 2: Use the Winrar to extract the program

===================

Before doing the installation, Please access http://www.microsoft.com/silverlight/resources/install.aspx
Note: I assume that you have saved the Silverlight.2.0.exe file to C:\.

1. Download Winrar tool from the link below.

http://www.rarlab.com/rar/wrar371.exe

Please Note: The third-party product discussed here is manufactured by a company that is independent of Microsoft. We make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding this product's performance or reliability.

2. Follow the instructions to install Winrar.

3. Right click Silverlight 2.0.exe, click Extract to Silverlight.2.0\ option. A folder Silverlight.2.0 will be created after completing above steps.

4. Enter this folder, double click silverlight.msi to install.( I had to do a search to find this file)

5. Double click silverlight.msp to install.

After completing above steps, let's check if silverlight can be installed.

I am sorry for any inconvenience you have encountered and please be assured that I will do my best to help us to fix the issue.

Your time and efforts are highly appreciated on this issue.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users