Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Malware infection affecting mouse

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 webmiester

webmiester

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 AM

Posted 26 December 2008 - 04:04 PM

Hi guys,

I am using a Dell Inspiron 4000 laptop with a Pentium III 850mgh processor and a licensed Windows XP. the computer has a built-in synaptics touchpad, but I usually attach it to a PS2 keyboard and a PS2 mouse.

While I was surfing through friendster.com one day, I noticed that my computer started misbehaving. At first, it started closing all the tabs I would open automatically, then all of a sudden, my mouse buttons became unresponsive and when I would press a button this pop-up beside the mouse cursor would show up saying "Massage Time No Sex". After about 2 minutes, the sign disappeared, but so did my PS2 mouse control. The built-in synaptics touchpad still worked though.

After rebooting, the PS2 mouse was still not working although the device manager said that it was working properly...

After about the 3rd boot, the PS2 mouse started working again. However, the mouse would make right clicks on it's own occasionally distracting my typing. This "automatic right clicking" would become more and more frequent until suddenly, my PS2 mouse loses its ability to control the cursor again. The built-in touchpad would still work but the cursor would skew slowly to the left and upwards. Also, at this point, aside from automatically right clicking items on the screen, the left mouse button (on my touchpad) would become the right, and the right mouse button would become unresponsive.

At times, many objects on the Firefox browser screen cannot be clicked even if I keep trying, and thus, I am forced to navigate on the screen using the keyboard. In fact, registration here at bleepingcomputer.com became very complicated because I could not click on the correct buttons in my email account. By waiting for awhile, certain buttons or items on firefox would become "clickable" again, but some other buttons would become unresponsive.

I also noticed that Firefox would become completely unresponsive and would stop while loading a new webpage... It would take far longer than usual. Then when I switch applications using Alt+Tab (because mouse is also unresponsive), the entire Firefox screen would shake similarly to the way YM would look when you buzz someone. After Firefox shakes, it starts to load the webpage again normally, and some functions of the touchpad would work again.

Ive been using Avira Anti-virus Personal edition, which does not detect a virus. Ive also installed Malwarebytes anti-malware, and spybot search and destroy. None of them was able to detect any virus, malware, or spyware.

I am very sure that this is not a hardware problem.
Here is the log of my computer. I hope that you can help me.

Attached Files

Edited by webmiester, 26 December 2008 - 04:13 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 webmiester

webmiester
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 AM

Posted 26 December 2008 - 04:26 PM

Here is the logfile of HijackThis:
Its hard to navigate without a mouse :thumbsup:

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 6:13:56 AM, on 12/26/2008
Platform: Windows XP SP3 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16762)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\sched.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\avgnt.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\YahooMessenger.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft ActiveSync\Wcescomm.exe
C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~4\rapimgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\avguard.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\Atievxx.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\scrnsave.scr
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe
C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\avwsc.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://aa.rd.yahoo.com/customize/ie/defaul...://ph.yahoo.com
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://ph.yahoo.com/
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://ph.yahoo.com/
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://aa.rd.yahoo.com/customize/ie/defaul...://ph.yahoo.com
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://aa.rd.yahoo.com/customize/ie/defaul...://ph.yahoo.com
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://ph.yahoo.com/
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchURL,(Default) = http://aa.rd.yahoo.com/customize/ie/defaul...://ph.yahoo.com
R3 - URLSearchHook: Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn\yt.dll (file missing)
O2 - BHO: Spybot-S&D IE Protection - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [avgnt] "C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\avgnt.exe" /min
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Reader Speed Launcher] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Messenger (Yahoo!)] "C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\YahooMessenger.exe" -quiet
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [H/PC Connection Agent] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft ActiveSync\Wcescomm.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SpybotSD TeaTimer] C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\System32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\System32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\System32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'SYSTEM')
O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\System32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'Default user')
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: Create Mobile Favorite - {2EAF5BB1-070F-11D3-9307-00C04FAE2D4F} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~4\INetRepl.dll
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {2EAF5BB2-070F-11D3-9307-00C04FAE2D4F} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~4\INetRepl.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Create Mobile Favorite... - {2EAF5BB2-070F-11D3-9307-00C04FAE2D4F} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~4\INetRepl.dll
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Spybot - Search && Destroy Configuration - {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://www.update.microsoft.com/windowsupd...b?1221918010967
O18 - Protocol: skype4com - {FFC8B962-9B40-4DFF-9458-1830C7DD7F5D} - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\Skype\SKYPE4~1.DLL
O23 - Service: Avira AntiVir Personal - Free Antivirus Scheduler (AntiVirScheduler) - Avira GmbH - C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\sched.exe
O23 - Service: Avira AntiVir Personal - Free Antivirus Guard (AntiVirService) - Avira GmbH - C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\avguard.exe

--
End of file - 5437 bytes

#3 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:04:00 PM

Posted 07 January 2009 - 01:37 AM

Hello and welcome to Bleeping Computer

We apologize for the delay in responding to your request for help. Here at Bleeping Computer we get overwhelmed at times, and we are trying our best to keep up. Please note that your topic was not intentionally overlooked. Our mission is to help everyone in need, but sometimes it takes just a little longer to get to every request for help.

If you have since resolved the original problem you were having, we would appreciate you letting us know. If not please perform the following steps below so we can have a look at the current condition of your machine. If you have not done so, include a description of your problem, along with any steps you may have performed so far.

Upon completing the steps below a staff member will review and take the steps necessary with you to get your machine back in working order clean and free of malware.

Thanks and again sorry for the delay.

We need to see some information about what is happening in your machine. Please perform the following scan:
  • Download DDS by sUBs from one of the following links. Save it to your desktop.
  • Double click on the DDS icon, allow it to run.
  • A small box will open, with an explaination about the tool. No input is needed, the scan is running.
  • Notepad will open with the results, click no to the Optional_Scan
  • Follow the instructions that pop up for posting the results.
  • Close the program window, and delete the program from your desktop.
Please note: You may have to disable any script protection running if the scan fails to run. After downloading the tool, disconnect from the internet and disable all antivirus protection. Run the scan, enable your A/V and reconnect to the internet. Information on A/V control HERE

This may seem repetitive, but we need to see the current status of your system, please.
Please Hold on it may take us a day or so to get back with you.

R,
K
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#4 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:04:00 PM

Posted 12 January 2009 - 09:02 AM

Due to the lack of feedback, this Topic is now closed.

If you still have problems, please Start a new topic.

R,
K
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users