Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Amazon Toolbar - should I delete? how?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 blecomda

blecomda

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 PM

Posted 25 December 2008 - 12:04 PM

I am running malware scans on my XP Pro, SP2 system (prior to installing SP3).

Today, I ran an a-squared free smart scan, and it found:
Trace.Directory.Berm.Amazon Toolbar!A2

On the a-squared website, there is this info: http://www.emsisoft.com/en/malware/?Adware....Amazon+Toolbar, which makes it sound relatively benign. When I Google, I don't find much, which seems odd. I was wondering if it might be associated with the Amazon MP3 Downloader which I recently installed. I tried to quarantine it, but got a message that something could not be removed -- that I needed to remove write protection -- I guess it was one of the file's associated with it, since Amazon Tool bar is listed in the Quarantine area now.

Should I do anything further? Or was the Toolbar legitimate, or a part of the music downloader, (in which case I can restore it)? Thank you.

Edited by blecomda, 25 December 2008 - 12:09 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 PM

Posted 25 December 2008 - 04:00 PM

Yes, it's legit and yes, you probably agreed to it when you downloaded MP3's
http://www.amazon.com/tag/toolbar
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 PM

Posted 25 December 2008 - 04:07 PM

We're going to combine your 2 posts and do some scan
-------------------------------------

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and save it to your desktop.
  • Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
  • Double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
  • When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
  • When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Then click Finish.
  • MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan. If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself. Press the OK button to close that box and continue. If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.
  • On the Scanner tab:
    • Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
    • Then click on the Scan button.
  • If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
  • The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
  • When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
  • Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
  • Back at the main Scanner screen, click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply and exit MBAM.
Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you may be asked to reboot your computer so it can proceed with the disinfection process. Regardless if prompted to restart the computer or not, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware. MBAM may make changes to your registry as part of its disinfection routine. If you're using other security programs that detect registry changes, they may alert you after scanning with MBAM. Please permit the program to allow the changes.

---------------------------------

If mbam won't install

Some types of malware will disable MBAM and other security tools. If MBAM will not install, try renaming it. Right-click on the mbam-setup.exe file and change the .exe extension to .bat, .com, .pif, or .scr and then double-click on it to run.

If after installation, MBAM will not run, open the Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware folder in Program Files, right-click on mbam.exe and change the .exe as noted above. Then double-click on it to run.

Edited by garmanma, 25 December 2008 - 04:07 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 blecomda

blecomda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 PM

Posted 27 December 2008 - 01:13 PM

Garmanma, thanks for your reply. Sorry for the delay -- I reset my router after Malwarebytes detected a trojan, and had to call Verizon to re-set the settings.

Meanwhile, I realize that I have inadvertently ended up cross-posting in different forums (here and at Malwarebytes). Initially, I posted about different problems, but now I seem to have several problems, and both you and the MalwareByte advisor are recommending scans. To avoid confusion, and to avoid wasting everyone's time, I would like to continue to post my results in the Malware forum. My current thread is http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/index.p...amp;#entry42271, but I was instructed to post my scan results in the HJT Logs forum (http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/index.php?showforum=7), and I hope to do so within the next few days.

Thank you so much for your help. Other comments/suggestions are always welcome. I will come back here if I can't get help there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users