Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firefox stops responding

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Mike_K

Mike_K

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 PM

Posted 21 December 2008 - 03:40 PM

Hi All

I've been having a strange problem with firefox. It will work fine at first. But after being online for a bit it will stop responding. Task manager says it is running but it won't open any new pages or anything. I close the program(click the X upper right). The page closes and the icon in the start bar(bottom right) disappears. I try to open firefox again and I get the message "firefox is running but not responding. to open a new window you must first close the existing firefox process or restart your system" Task manager doesn't show anything running. What's going on here and how do I fix it? The only way to get firefox back is to restart the computer. Even then it takes about 5 minutes for the computer to shut down before restarting.

Thanks for any help

Mike
HP a6009n, windows vista home premium SP2, AMD 64X2 dual core processor 3800+, 2.00GHz, 3G ram, 32 bit operating system, AOL

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 PM

Posted 23 December 2008 - 05:57 PM

Could be a issue with your profile which reinstalling Firefox won't solve.

You could try this:

Taken from Mozilla's support site here

If Firefox previously worked but suddenly doesn't start, it may be due to some corrupt data in your settings. Uninstalling and reinstalling Firefox would not fix this problem because your settings are not removed on uninstall.

To test to see if this is the problem, use the Profile Managerto create a new profile. If the problem goes away, you can then move your bookmarks and other important settings into the new profile.

Edited by xblindx, 23 December 2008 - 05:58 PM.

#3 Mike_K

Mike_K
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2008 - 06:32 AM

Thanks xblinx,

That worked. It started with the same problems as soon as I transferred my old settings to the new profile. I created another new profile and dumped the old ones. I'll just start over with the bookmarks and all. I'll post again if the problems return. Thanks again. You guys are the best.

Mike
HP a6009n, windows vista home premium SP2, AMD 64X2 dual core processor 3800+, 2.00GHz, 3G ram, 32 bit operating system, AOL

#4 Mike_K

Mike_K
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2008 - 12:57 PM

Well, that worked for a while. Now it is back to not responding. I don't have any bookmarks set or anything saved on Firefox.

Any other suggestion before I just stop using it a nd go back to Intenet Explorer?

Mike

#5 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2008 - 03:35 PM

Do you have any add-ons?

#6 Mike_K

Mike_K
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2008 - 08:22 PM

No, I don't think so. I never added anything other than downloading Tirefox.

I also noticed the last time it stopped responding, AOL also stopped working. I clicked on shut down and it took over 5 minutes to shut down. When everything is working it shuts down less than a minute.

It always works for a while after I restart. Do you think I might have some kind of malware?

Mike

#7 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2008 - 03:19 PM

You have AOL as your ISP? Hmm... That shouldn't be a problem. What version of FF are you running?

#8 Mike_K

Mike_K
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2008 - 04:24 PM

Hi,

Hope I got this right. Verision is my ISP. I have 3 web browsers on the computer. Internet Explorer which nobody uses. Aol is used by my daughters. And I use Firefox when it is working. I am not sure what version of firefox I have. I downloaded it about 2 months ago.

Where will it tell me what version I have?

Mike

#9 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2008 - 09:40 AM

Go to help on the top toolbar and then About Mozilla Firefox
Your version will be under the Firefox logo.

Edited by xblindx, 27 December 2008 - 09:40 AM.

#10 Mike_K

Mike_K
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2008 - 04:36 PM

OK

I have vrsiom 3.0.5

Mike

Edited by Mike_K, 27 December 2008 - 04:37 PM.

#11 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2008 - 05:01 PM

That's the most recent version. The reason that I asked was because FF 2.x.x had some issues like the one you are referring to. If you recreate a blank profile again, and DO NOT install any add ons at all, how long does it take before it is back to freezing?

#12 Mike_K

Mike_K
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2008 - 05:07 PM

An hour or two

#13 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2008 - 05:10 PM

This may take some digging. Try reinstalling it. It could have some corrupt files/settings.

#14 Mike_K

Mike_K
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2008 - 10:41 PM

Hi

Well, I uninstalled and reinstalled firefox. It worked for about a half hour the it stopped responding like before. AOL wouldn't connect either. I had to shut down to get it to work. I uninstalled firefox and everything has been working for the past couple hours. I'll keep using AOL and see if it has any problems.

Seems the easiest solution is to not use firefox. Too bad as I liked it when it worked

Mike

#15 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2008 - 11:00 PM

Since removing firefox solved it, it was possibly related to conflicts in the firefox file. You could try another alternative browser such as Opera

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users