Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB Flash Drive - Says Not Formatted

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 nharpt

nharpt

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 AM

Posted 18 December 2008 - 06:01 PM

I have many files on my USB flash drive and just added several photos from another computer (probably filled the drive). My computer no longer recognizes the flash drive as being formatted, so I now get the message "The disk in drive N is not formatted. Do you want to format it now?" I tried it in 4 different computers with the same result. I'd rather not reformat, since I need the most recently added photos ASAP. Is there a way to get my files back? Any idea what happened?

Thanks for your help!
Nathan

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2008 - 03:34 AM

Any data recovery program should be able to recover something assuming there is no damage to the USB drive.

Getdataback,Easy Recovery Pro, O&O Unerase are just a few. Google "data recovery software" and find what's available.

Here are some freebie recovery programs, haven't used them myself though: http://www.snapfiles.com/Freeware/system/fwdatarecovery.html

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,169 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2008 - 03:58 AM

Just wondering, can you run a chkdsk on it? I'd try to do that before I formatted, you would not be losing anything but some time to try.. :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users