Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Media Center files missing or corrupted

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 JMateer

JMateer

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 AM

Posted 22 November 2008 - 09:51 PM

I am a return customer to Bleeping Computers. You helped me immensely with my last PC dilema! Thanks in advance for any assistance you may have on this one:

Background info:
Sony Vaio desktop (Pentium 4, 3.2 GHz, 512K ram) with XP Media Center Edition ver 2002 SP3.
Everything works fine except Media Center. There has not been a problem with it for the 2-3 years of owning this computer until recently. I cannot identify any new programs or drivers that may have caused the problem. I have already tried to do a system restore to prior dates - without success.

Description of the problem:
Media Center loads normally when activated. From the Media Center start menu screen, when I select "My TV", I get the following error message:

"CANNOT LOAD FILES: Some of the files needed to play radio or video are missing or corrupt"

All the other menu options within Media Center work fine, I just cannot get any video for TV or any info on the TV Guide. I can play movies using "My Video" and play MP3's using My Music within Media Center. Yes, the TV cable cable is still connnected to my computer.

I would like to avoid a complete reinstall of the operating system to fix this problem if at all possible. I have no idea of how to find the missing files or whether it is possible to selectively reinstall the missing files. Can you help? This is a different computer tha my last inquiry - so I do not have HJT installed (if needed)

Thanks again.
Jim

Please copy reply to:
jamesmateer@cs.com

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 AM

Posted 26 November 2008 - 02:18 AM

Hi JMateer,

See if a scan of the windows files will pick up any that might be missing or corrupt. To do this, go to Start / Run and copy paste in sfc /scannow

You may be asked to insert your cd if there are damaged files and no copies that the scan can find in your computer.

Zllio

#3 JMateer

JMateer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2008 - 01:44 PM

Zllio:

Thanks for your suggestion. I tried this with both a normal boot and with a safe mode boot and both had the same result:
A DOS screen pops up very briefly (less than 0.5 second) then is gone and nothing else happens.
Any other ideas???

Thanks.

Jim

#4 Yahuah Is Elohim

Yahuah Is Elohim

• Banned
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 AM

Posted 04 December 2008 - 04:15 PM

try start > run > cmd

then in the command prompt

sfc /scannow

Should at least return an error.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 44,224 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2008 - 05:59 PM

Be sure that there is a space between the c and /.

Louis

#6 JMateer

JMateer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2008 - 11:12 AM

Thanks for all suggestions so far:

Windows completed the scan of the system files (I did this twice). There was no message after the scan - no indication of any missing files. The problem remains the same when I start Media Center: I get a message: "CANNOT LOAD FILES: Some of the files needed to play radio or video are missing or corrupt"
Everything in Media Center works except the TV video and Guide.

Does XP Media Center version store the Media Center files in a location seperate from the XP system files?
Any other ideas?

Thanks.

JMateer

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 44,224 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2008 - 11:43 AM

Seems that MC files may not be considered system files by sfc /scannow or chkdsk, which may account for the unfruitful scan efforts.

Take a look in Add/Remove programs and see if there is anything which clearly indicates that Media Center is installed. Anything that says Media Center or has such a group of folders...are not probably considered system files (since they are not necessary at all for XP to run).

Media Center is just a (IMO, higher-priced) way of allowing some buyers to do the same things that many of us do with tuner cards and video-editing software. A PC can be "converted" into the equivalent (or better) of MC by adding a capture card and requisite software.

Louis

#8 JMateer

JMateer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2008 - 01:40 PM

Thanks again for above suggestions:

Media Center is not founs in Add/Remove programs. It is part of the operating system according to Sony support. I have Media Center Ed. 2004 ver 5.1.2600.5512.

I have tried all above suggestions without success.

If I go into Media Center setup screen and go through the TV signal or Guide setup, Media Center stops working before set up is finished, and I get an:
"ehshell.exe - Comon Language runtime debugging services - Aplication has generated an error that sould not be handled" message.

The Tv signal is intact going into the computer (I checked this with a TV hookup).

Any other thoughts?
Thanks.
Jim

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 44,224 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2008 - 03:01 PM

If there is a "media center" program group in C:\Program Files, then there should be something corresponding in Add/Remove Programs.

If there is no "media center" program group...then I just have say that I don't understand how your system works.

Louis

#10 Frank Mathieson

Frank Mathieson

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 PM

Posted 06 January 2009 - 01:41 PM

Hello,

I might be able to help. I don't have the exact same problem ( i get no error mesage), but the problems are very similar sounding.

From what I have been able to work out, the Media Guide data is getting corrupted when it auto-updates, this seems to stop the TV working aswell, as it tries to read what is on TV from the guide whenever you attempt to watch it.

My fix for the problem:-

Goto Settings/TV/Guide/Restore Channel defaults

Then Setup Listings

This will clear the data and you will be prompted to reconfigure the TV setup of your Media Center, you`ll probably also have to do the "add listing to channel" stuff again.

Regards,

Frank.

#11 JMateer

JMateer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2009 - 03:45 PM

Frank:

Thanks for your suggestion. I tried this, but I guess my media center is too corrupted to even reset the guide (it hangs when I attempt this). Looks like I am headed for a complete operating system reinstall (what I was trying to avoid).

Thanks again.

Jim

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users