Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firefox or IE wont let me go to certain sites

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 zair123

zair123

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 PM

Posted 22 November 2008 - 02:39 PM

HI, im new too bleepingcomputer soo bare with me hehe.

I dont know why but Whenever i try to go to www.google.com firefox gives me this error...
Failed to Connect

Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at www.google.ca

Though the site seems valid, the browser was unable to establish a connection.

* Could the site be temporarily unavailable? Try again later.
* Are you unable to browse other sites? Check the computer's network connection.
* Is your computer or network protected by a firewall or proxy? Incorrect settings can interfere with Web browsing.

Though all other sites seem to work fine and this site works fine on my other computer...

PLease let me know if you need Any hijackthis logs or any thing else to help fix my problem..

Ty

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 KirstyN

KirstyN

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2008 - 12:41 PM

You don't have Google blacklisted do you? It's unlikely given that the error would read something different normally, but it's possible.

It's probably more likely that you have a piece of Malware on the system that's trying to interfere with Google and perform a re-direct. These kinds of malware are highly documented and remain very common. I'd suggest running Malwarebytes to clean up any problems there if they do exist.

Just out of interest, what happens when you access Google using a different international extension?

Ie. Google.co.uk?

#3 zair123

zair123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2008 - 03:49 PM

Hey Kristy, I actually fixed the problem. As i was wandering about bleepingcomputer I read a topic that said some thing about a host file, I downloaded the host file and replaced it with the one i had and then google started to work Soo thank you anyway and yippee for me ;-)

Edited by zair123, 23 November 2008 - 03:50 PM.

#4 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 PM

Posted 23 November 2008 - 03:54 PM

Since the HOSTS file fixed it, somehow your HOSTS file had google.com blacklisted and directed the site back to your IP so that you couldn't access it. HOSTS files add malicious sites to the blacklist, not legitimate sites like google. If you did not change your HOSTS file yourself, it is possible that you have been infected.

#5 bbaker

bbaker

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2008 - 04:37 PM

Dear Friends, I seem to be having the same problem as zair123; Firefox or IE wont let me go to certain sites. The problem doesn't seem to have anything to do with Google. I can Google, Yahoo, & AOL, for that matter, but when I try to go to certain sites, I get those same pages zair123 mentions - be it IE or Firefox. Strangely enough, if I mask my ip address within a proxy network, I can go where I want - if that's a clue for someone. FYI, I have 3 desktop computers & 1 laptop all accessing the same network through the same gateway. The one I'm using at this moment works fine. There ARE some things I haven't done in the hope that I might not have to resort to excessive measures, but I'm willing to try just about anything at this point. Oddly enough, too, some of the very programs I would download and use I can't get to. It's the same with updates which I would need to get the latest spyware or malware definitions; it won't let me at 'em. It's like the blasted thing knows what I need and won't let me at it! Help me if you can. Sincerely, Brian.

#6 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2008 - 04:52 PM

bbaker, have you tried locating and/or replacing your HOSTS file with one such as from here?

#7 m0le

m0le

Can U Dig It?

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 33,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 PM

Posted 25 November 2008 - 05:34 PM

Hey bbaker,

Failing xBlindsX idea, you should probably look to our I Am Infected forum for some help. Sounds like you may have malware changing hosts, hijacking your browser and (a very common trick) blocking your access to security help sites.
[If I have helped you fix your PC then please donate. Thanks
jetian6yw.jpg
m0le is a proud member of UNITE

#8 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2008 - 05:58 PM

The link to the Am I Infected? forum is here

#9 m0le

m0le

Can U Dig It?

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 33,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 PM

Posted 25 November 2008 - 07:13 PM

Thanks XblindX :thumbsup:
[If I have helped you fix your PC then please donate. Thanks
jetian6yw.jpg
m0le is a proud member of UNITE

#10 zair123

zair123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2008 - 09:37 PM

Hey Bbaker, The things i did to get those "certain sites" to work again is I replaced my host file if you dont know what that is IT is located in C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc. What this HOST file does is that it Black lists sites that are in that log so u cant view um. You should go click your host file and choose to open it with notepad and check to see If those sites that you cant view are black listed. In some cases you mite not have a hosts file. In that case You should download one from the link xblindx posted.
Also, well the first thing you should do is get rid of Malware by using malwarebytes if i am correct because they are probbably screwing about with your hosts file adding safe sites like google ect... on the blacklist (hosts file). Any ways That fixed my problem. Good luck solving yours i hope this helps.

Good luck!
Zair.

#11 bbaker

bbaker

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2008 - 05:36 PM

Dear Friends at BC,
Please accept my sincerest thanks for all your kind responses. Although I have not yet had a chance to put your suggestions into effect, I am in that process now. It's difficult because I'm having to use a jump drive to transfer info from one computer to another & there have been some snags. In any case, you will be among the first to know how things progress. I did not want to wait, however, until I got everything fixed before I expressed my appreciation. Tnx agn.

Brian Baker

#12 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2008 - 09:52 AM

Why do you have to use a jump drive? Is one of your PCs infected?

#13 bbaker

bbaker

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2008 - 04:55 PM

Tnx agn, friends, for all the heroic support. Whereas I have not been able to get to BC on the computer I'm presently using, (because of malware I'm pretty sure), I am now able to reach BC's site - tadaah! Here I am! I made it, but I'm typing fast. Whatever keeps pinning me down is somehow able to re-establish its stronghold after a short period. It's only been since I finally managed to get malwarebytes to load and run. It feels like I get afloat & then I start taking on water. Before I know it, I can't get to bleepingcomputer, superantispyware, avast.com & any number of other help sites, downloads, etc. Even after all my remediation, I also get a "Disk defragmenter could not start" when I try to defrag. FYI, also, I'm using Kim Komando's hosts file. Some users have advised me to do that, but the only thing that's made any real difference has been malwarebytes. Sorry I'm so longwinded. Tnx 4 reading.

#14 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2008 - 05:27 PM

bbaker, if you are still able to read this topic and if you haven't already done so, please post a topic in the "Am I Infected? forum. You will get great help there and be in good hands.

#15 bbaker

bbaker

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2008 - 04:04 AM

Thanks, xblindx, I'm checkin' it out. Happy to say I've left the computer on for several hours today and I'm still able to go to those sites from which I had been restricted. Still getting that "Disk defragmenter could not start" message, so I'm shopping for a solution for that one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users