Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

no power to keyboard/mouse

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 peterc38

peterc38

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 PM

Posted 16 November 2008 - 09:04 AM

Hi,

My PC does not seem to have power to keyboard and mouse. Num lock or caps lock do not light up on keyboard. There is power to monitor but no picture. When I turn PC off then back on it starts up but no display. I don't hear any other boot sounds i.e. beeps when powered on. This seemed to happen overnight while computer was on. With cover off I can see and hear fans in power supply and other cooling fans running. I have not made any major hardware changes lately. I did update BIOS about 6 weeks ago based on issues I was having with random shutdowns, the update seemed to resolve that problem.

Things I have tried so far that have not helped:

1.) different monitor
2,) reseated memory sticks and video card
3.) Took case cover off and blew out dust (there was a lot of dust on fans, etc.)
4.) checked to make sure everything is plugged in that is supposed to be
5.) removed then reinserted battery on motherboard after waiting 30 minutes
6.) tried unplugging lead on motherboard for reset switch (twisted blue/white wire)

PC is a Gateway GM5478, w/ core 2 quad Q6600 (2.4 ghz), 2 G DDR2 SDRAM, 500 G 7200 HD, Nvidia 8600 GTS graphics card, 400 watt Delta PSU. Keyboard is gateway PS2 vista compatible, mouse is USB optical. Motherboard is INtel (shroeder town ) G33, pt #4006194R. OS is Vista 32 bit.

I would appreciate any help that could be provided to fix this problem, thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 43,854 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 PM

Posted 16 November 2008 - 01:50 PM

Hi :thumbsup:.

First guess: Power supply. I would try a different PSU (temporarily) to confirm/refute.

Louis

#3 peterc38

peterc38
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2008 - 07:13 AM

Hi :thumbsup:.

First guess: Power supply. I would try a different PSU (temporarily) to confirm/refute.

Louis

Thanks, I don't have another PSU to try but I pulled the PSU out last night and will try to have it tested after work today.

#4 peterc38

peterc38
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2008 - 07:48 PM

Update: had the power supply tested after work at a PC repair shop. The tech said it is ok, which would seem to rule out a PSU issue.

He also said to check to see if fan on video card is running when power is on. I checked that and fan is running.

He also said pull out RAM and see if PC beeps at start up. I did that and PC beeped at start up. He said no beeps would indicate a Motherboard problem.

Anyone else have any ideas?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users