Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Realtek AC97 drivers crash PC

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 EdCentral

EdCentral

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 AM

Posted 13 November 2008 - 01:25 AM

Hello everyone.

Recently, I installed Windows XP on a new hard drive on my gateway E-2100. Since I did not have the system resoration disk, I went to Intel's website and downloaded the proper drivers for my mother board (D845GVSR) and installed the video card drivers without a problem. Then I moved on to the sound, and the computer did auto detect the device, but I canceled the actions. So i clicked on setup.exe in the driver folder and all was OK, and it looked like it was installing properly, but suddenly my system crashed and rebooted. when I booted back up, it said in a dialougue box that the system has recovered from a serious error. So I tried several different versions of the drivers, and even some older versions. I downloaded the drivers from several different sites, also, and it does no seem that the problem lies there. I am not sure where to go to now, but perhaps your help will get me p and running again.

I am running XP professional and SP3. my motherboard is an Intel D845GVSR.
To anyone that helps me thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Arachibutyrophobia

• Members
  • 17,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 AM

Posted 13 November 2008 - 01:47 AM

Do have the exact error message?

Look in the Event Viewer and see what errors are showing up at the time that this is happening. Each error will have its own date and time shown.

Start> right click on My Computer> Manage> Event Viewer.

On the right side of the page you will see the options Applications, Security, and Systems, double click on Systems. There are eight columns on this page, the three that you will want are Type, Date, Time, and Event.

The errors will appear in the Type column, they are red dots with a white X inside of them.

Warnings will appear as a yellow trinangle with an exclamation mark inside.

When you see an error, double click on it and see what the description is.

Please post the error code/s found in the Event column and the descriptions back in this topic.
Please note:  My wife broke her radius in three places at the wrist.  This required surgery where a plate and nine screws were attached to allow this brake to heal properly.  She is recovering now and should make a full recovery over the next six weeks if all goes well.  She is doing well enough now that I don't need to stick quite so close to her and will be able to start getting back to the amount of time I was able to invest previously.

I would like to thank those of you who have expressed your concerns and best wishes for a speedy recovery.  

Sincerely,

Dan

#3 EdCentral

EdCentral
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2008 - 08:54 PM

I decided to go ahead and try one more time to install the drivers last night. The file I used was called WMD_A406.exe, and was from Softwarepatch.com.

It installed correctly, and I then rebooted, and I was forced to start in safe mode and disable the driver. I then booted up correctly, and uninstalled the device, and that is where I am at now.

The version of the driver that I installed was 5.10.0.6300

So I did go and look at the error messages, and this is what I got

Date Time Source Category Event
11/13/08 7:30:23 P.M. DCOM N/A 10005
11/13/08 7:29:16 P.M. Service Control Manager N/A 7026
11/13/08 7:29:16 P.M. Service Control Manager N/A 7001
11/13/18 7:29:00 P.M. DCOM N/A 10005
11/13/08 7:28:56 DCOM N/A 10005

So hopefully that is what you needed

#4 wildbill65401

wildbill65401

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2009 - 07:38 AM

I, too, have run into this same problem. I am working on reformatting a computer for a friend, and I have been able to get everything to install and update correctly, outside of the Realtek AC97 drivers. I get to the point where it is at like 98% installed and then the computer just reboots itself. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling and nothing seems to work. I downloaded the exe file, ran it, it installed fully (supposedly), then after I reboot like it asks, my computer says "Found New Hardware" and prompts me to install the driver now. I do the search using the internet and the XP CD, and it finds what it needs, or so I think. It then says something like "Looking for A*****.sys file". As part of that exe file, it created a folder with the *.sys file I need, so I point the program to it. It starts to install and then BAM! Reboot city.

I am working on a Dell Dimension 3000 computer. Here are the specs:

* Part Number:CNETDIMENSION3000

General

* Type Personal computer
* Product Form Factor Micro tower
* Built-in Devices Modem
* Width 7.2 in
* Depth 16.8 in
* Height 14.5 in
* Weight 22.9 lbs

Processor

* Type Intel Celeron D 320 / 2.53 GHz
* Installed Qty 1.0
* Max processors supported 1.0

Cache Memory

* Type L2 cache
* Installed Size 256.0 KB
* Cache Per Processor 256 KB

Mainboard

* Chipset type Intel 865GV
* Data bus speed 533.0 MHz

RAM

* Installed Size 256.0 MB / 1.0 GB (max)
* Technology DDR SDRAM
* Memory speed 333.0 MHz
* Memory specification compliance PC3200
* RAM form factor DIMM 184-pin
* RAM features Two DDR channels

Environmental Parameters

* Min operating temperature 50.0 F
* Max operating temperature 95.0 F
* Operating humidity range 10 - 90%
* Sound emission 50.0 dBA

Storage Controller

* Type 1.0 x IDE - Integrated
* Controller interface type ATA-100

Storage Controller (2nd)

* Type None

Storage

* Floppy drive type None
* Hard Drive 1.0 x 40.0 GB - Standard - ATA-100 - 7200.0 rpm
* Hard Drive (2nd) None x None

Optical Storage

* Type CD-ROM - IDE
* CD / DVD read speed 48x

Optical Storage (2nd)

* Type None

Storage Removable

* Type None
* Capacity None

Monitor

* Monitor Type Display - CRT
* Diagonal Size 17.0 in
* Viewable Size 16.0 in
* Dot Pitch / Pixel Pitch 0.27 mm

Graphics Controller

* Type Integrated
* Graphics Processor / Vendor Intel Extreme Graphics 2
* Video Memory Dynamic Video Memory Technology 2.0
* Max Monitors Supported 1.0

Audio Output

* Type Sound card - Integrated
* Sound card name Integrated AC97
* Audio output compliant standards AC '97
* Speaker(s) 2.0 x Right / left channel

Input Device

* Type Keyboard , Mouse

Audio Input

* Type None

Telecom

* Modem None - PCI - Internal
* Max transfer rate 56.0 Kbps

Networking

* Networking Network adapter - Integrated
* Data Link Protocol Ethernet , Fast Ethernet

Printer

* Type None

Expansion / Connectivity

* Expansion Bays Total (Free) 1.0 ( 1.0 ) x Internal - 5.25" x 1/2H , 2.0 ( 1.0 ) x Front accessible - 3.5" x 1/3H , 1.0 ( 0.0 ) x Front accessible - 3.5" x 1/3H
* Expansion Slots Total (Free) 1.0 ( 1.0 ) x PCI - DIMM 184-pin , 2.0 ( 3.0 ) x Memory - Socket 478 , 3.0 ( 0.0 ) x Processor
* Interfaces 1.0 x Parallel - IEEE 1284 (EPP/ECP) - Mini-phone 3.5 mm , 1.0 x Network - Generic - Mini-phone stereo 3.5 mm , 1.0 x Keyboard - Line-in - Mini-phone stereo 3.5 mm , 1.0 x Audio - Line-out - 4 pin USB Type A , 1.0 x Serial - Ethernet 10Base-T/100Base-TX - 15 pin HD D-Sub (HD-15) , 1.0 x Headphones - Generic - RJ-45 , 1.0 x Audio - VGA - 25 pin D-Sub (DB-25) , 1.0 x Mouse - RS-232C - 6 pin mini-DIN (PS/2 style) , 6.0 x Hi-Speed USB - Output - 9 pin D-Sub (DB-9) , 1.0 x Display / video - Input - 6 pin mini-DIN (PS/2 style) , 1.0 x Microphone - Mini-phone stereo 3.5 mm

Miscellaneous

* Cables Included ( 1.0 pcs.) , ( 1.0 pcs.)
* Compliant Standards APM

Power

* Power device type Power supply
* Voltage Required AC 120/230 V
* Power provided 250.0 Watt

I have installed Windows XP Professional and have installed every update Microsoft says that I need to install. The computer works absolutely perfect other than the sound. Internet, video and all other software I have installed work great. Does anyone know what I need to do? :thumbsup:

Wild Bill :flowers:

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 42,648 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 AM

Posted 16 June 2009 - 08:35 AM

The one driver listed for that system (not Realtek), http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/...tid=&impid=

Louis

#6 wildbill65401

wildbill65401

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2009 - 10:34 AM

The one driver listed for that system (not Realtek), http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/...tid=&impid=

Louis

Thank you very much!! :thumbsup:

I am at work, and will have to work on the computer tonight at home. I don't know why I didn't think to look on Dell website. I'm an idiot. :trumpet:

I plan on using that website to double check all of my drivers. Thanks for your help!! :flowers:

Wild Bill :inlove:

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 42,648 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2009 - 12:39 PM

Easily done :thumbsup:.

Louis

#8 wildbill65401

wildbill65401

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2009 - 08:15 AM

Woo hoo!! Success!! :thumbsup:

That driver did the trick! I was able to get the sound to work as it should, and I finished installed the last of the software that needed to be done. I give the computer back to my friend tonight. She'll be one happy camper. Thanks again! :flowers:

Wild Bill :trumpet:

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 42,648 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2009 - 08:23 AM

You are welcome, happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users